2016 NHL Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

Jones and Murray show that you don't need to lock up too much money in the goalie position. In fact, it's much better to have that going to a group of top forwards that's 6 or 7 deep, as each recent Cup winner has shown. The Habs are pretty far behind the 8-ball in this respect, and it'll only be harder when we're paying Price more than any goalie in the league.

Equipment size is always going to be relative to the player size. They can't have pads that don't cover the goalie's knee cause he's taller than the pad... thats where safety does become a concern.

Its always going to be .... x inches above his knee.... or whatever as a rule.

As for price, they reduced pad sizes a few years ago, and he actually got better, so I'm not too concerned.

Jones and Murray show that you don't need to lock up too much money in the goalie position. In fact, it's much better to have that going to a group of top forwards that's 6 or 7 deep, as each recent Cup winner has shown. The Habs are pretty far behind the 8-ball in this respect, and it'll only be harder when we're paying Price more than any goalie in the league.

I don't buy that, unless your plan is to draft the next crosby, and get Malkin with him... then you can't copy the Penguins Model.

Everyone wants to copy what the cup champ did, until one year later, when they don't repeat as cup champs and someone knocked them off the mountain.

I'm fine with building the team around what we have, and having the best goalie in the league is a great way to start any team

Do we need more forward depth? sure... but the answer isn't getting rid of price to find the money to do so, its getting rid of deadweight like Emelin and Eller.

Equipment size is always going to be relative to the player size. They can't have pads that don't cover the goalie's knee cause he's taller than the pad... thats where safety does become a concern.

Its always going to be .... x inches above his knee.... or whatever as a rule.

As for price, they reduced pad sizes a few years ago, and he actually got better, so I'm not too concerned.

But instead of having 385cm2 (just a number from thin air) coverage a smaller guy will lose 15% down to say 325 whereas a large kid, 15% would take it from 500cm2 to 425cm2, so will be a larger decrease overall for the Bishops of the league, no?

Naw man, ask the Sharks what mediocre goaltending got them up till this year, lot's of examples every season, where the goaltending was directly responsible for a decent team's playoff exit.

I'm with Commandant, and very comfortable with the best goalie in the league to lead us through the playoffs...

The debate over whether it was a good idea to build the team around the league's best goalie is moot. That's how we're built, and nothing short of radical surgery is going to change that. He's the franchise and we're going to live or die with him for the next 5-6 years.

Jones was really good this year. Murray has been very good in the playoffs. You still need good goaltending to win. If the Penguins were still playing Fleury they wouldn't still be playing.

Nick Bonino is outscoring Crosby. I guess no point to spend big money on scoring forwards when you can just play a guy with Kessel?

I think Crosby was worthy of the conn Smythe. He played so well throughout the playoffs and especially the last round. He was a posession beast. Why did he hand the cup to daley though? Kessel Malkin or Muray would have made more sense.

I think Crosby was worthy of the conn Smythe. He played so well throughout the playoffs and especially the last round. He was a posession beast. Why did he hand the cup to daley though? Kessel Malkin or Muray would have made more sense.

The story is Daley's Mom is having a really hard time fighting cancer; unfortunately she could pass unexpectedly. Crosby heard, and made sure that Daley's mom would see her son lift the cup as soon as possible. Awesome gesture by Crosby

No doubt Crosby is worthy of the Conn Smythe, although I do find it slightly grating to hear about how a guy who didn't score against WASH and didn't score a goal in the Finals 'played great defence.' This is part of the general NHL turn towards robots rather than dynamic offensive stars - you give the trophy to the guy who had merely 'pretty good' offensive totals because he seemed to project the preferred kind of all-around intensity associated with Captain Robot, Jonathan Toews. I suspect that if Crosby had played exactly like Kessel, he still would have won the Conn Smythe; and tend to agree that Kessel was probably robbed because the politics made Sid the safe choice.

Kessel robbed? That's laughable really. Kessel was good, both ways really, but there is no comparison in his total game.

I watched every game of the finals, and Crosby wasn't only the best player defensively, he was also the best offensively. He created chances every time he was on the ice, in fact, his line dominated almost every shift. With nobody's on the line with him most of the time. He played tough minutes, won important faceoffs, and was like an "on ice coach", making sure team mates knew what to do out there.

He was the playoffs MVP beyond a doubt, he led the way, and by example of "playing the right way wins championships" a true driving force for the Pens all the way.

Kessel robbed? That's laughable really. Kessel was good, both ways really, but there is no comparison in his total game.

I watched every game of the finals, and Crosby wasn't only the best player defensively, he was also the best offensively. He created chances every time he was on the ice, in fact, his line dominated almost every shift. With nobody's on the line with him most of the time. He played tough minutes, won important faceoffs, and was like an "on ice coach", making sure team mates knew what to do out there.

He was the playoffs MVP beyond a doubt, he led the way, and by example of "playing the right way wins championships" a true driving force for the Pens all the way.

Letang also made a case for a Conn Smythe. Participated in all 4 winning goals of the final. Heavy minutes, tough opponents and many points.

Gotta defend your fellow Nova Scotian haha

I'm happy Crosby won it, I think he's the best player in the game and has been for pretty much the entire time he's been in the league. It's good for him to be able to help cement his legacy among the game's all time greats. Although a case could be made for Murray, Kessel and Letang, I think they made the right choice. This was a balanced team win and the Captain was the one steering the ship

Gotta defend your fellow Nova Scotian haha

I'm happy Crosby won it, I think he's the best player in the game and has been for pretty much the entire time he's been in the league. It's good for him to be able to help cement his legacy among the game's all time greats. Although a case could be made for Murray, Kessel and Letang, I think they made the right choice. This was a balanced team win and the Captain was the one steering the ship

Lol, that's just how I roll... :thumbs_up:

but aside from my loyalty to my local home boy, I agree with what you said as him being the right choice.

I hear you Joe, Letang would have been my second choice, he was a beast, and Phil the Pill my 3rd choice, great playoffs for them all.