2016 NHL Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

Is anyone actually happy Therrien is back?

DON is apparently overjoyed.

There's a relatively small number of people, guys like Commandant and myself, that don't have anything against Therrien, particularly, and don't see any obvious massive upgrade available. That's not exactly the same thing as being 'happy' about him coming back. 'He'll do' is basically our argument.

And then there's the clear majority of teeming anti-Therrien loathers. Most of whom will quickly come to loathe MT's successor, and his successor, etc..

There's a relatively small number of people, guys like Commandant and myself, that don't have anything against Therrien, particularly, and don't see any obvious massive upgrade available. That's not exactly the same thing as being 'happy' about him coming back. 'He'll do' is basically our argument.

And then there's the clear majority of teeming anti-Therrien loathers. Most of whom will quickly come to loathe MT's successor, and his successor, etc..

Count me in the "He'll do" group. Unless realistically there's a better option available, I don't see the need to get rid of him (although I admit earlier on, I wanted BLOOD after such a shitty season).

More and more I wonder why the supporting cast has remained intact; that concerns me more than Therrien behind the bench.

Yup, I would have preferred him gone.

That said, I'm not ready to march on the bell centre and riot if it doesn't happen. I don't think he's the biggest issue with this team, or close to it. A lot of the complaints on him are really complaints heard either about all coaches (he juggles lines too often, he plays grinders in the top 6), or complaints that come down to the fact he didn't have the roster last year (ie why does DD play top 6?).

As I said the other day I have gone over to the dark side and am now a committed Le Genius hater. Meetings to be scheduled. However you cannot make the assumption that I will hate his successor, I actually have been a supporter of 99% of the coaches we have had. This guy is a bad coach. I don't make complaints about line changes etc. His forking "process" don't work. As with all his teams, the offence is dying. It happened last time he was here and it happened in Pits. He has no forking idea how to run an offence.

As I said the other day I have gone over to the dark side and am now a committed Le Genius hater. Meetings to be scheduled. However you cannot make the assumption that I will hate his successor, I actually have been a supporter of 99% of the coaches we have had. This guy is a bad coach. I don't make complaints about line changes etc. His forking "process" don't work. As with all his teams, the offence is dying. It happened last time he was here and it happened in Pits. He has no forking idea how to run an offence.

Talk about assumptions... Not a personal attack on you HR, before you go through the roof, you are not alone in your opinion obviously, just implying the idea of "So what you disagree with some of his decisions, who are you? What are your credentials to judge an NHL coach?"

It's only an opinion that he is a bad coach. Systems? Really, there are multiple systems, in every game. Playing with a lead, playing with a big lead, playing when behind, playing with systems is a minute by minute thing sometimes, dictated by the circumstances, so any assumption by a fan, is not likely very accurate of what an NHL coach is doing night in and night out.

Lazy said he "wanted blood after the shitty season" and so did I, but I guess I will have to fall into the "almost happy he will be back camp".

I certainly don't think this season can be an ultimate measure of his tenure this time, and I kind of like the idea of stability(like when Price is healthy) in the organization, and I do not have the knowledge to assess an NHL team, but a moron could see MT had no real lineup to compete for most of this past season.

Bergevin's insistence on MT being respected by the Habs players, and his mantra of "getting through this as a team" makes me think that this team, when healthy will again compete for 1st in the Eastern conference, where this no good coach had them since he took over this time.

The roster is Bergevin's responsibility, and to gut the future to save this season, and go out in 4 like Philly is doing would be stupid, just as stupid as firing a coach of a perennial 100 pt team when it's healthy, without giving him a chance after you, as GM, decide to "not mortgage the future" to save the season of 2015/16...

Talk about assumptions... Not a personal attack on you HR, before you go through the roof, you are not alone in your opinion obviously, just implying the idea of "So what you disagree with some of his decisions, who are you? What are your credentials to judge an NHL coach?"

It's only an opinion that he is a bad coach. Systems? Really, there are multiple systems, in every game. Playing with a lead, playing with a big lead, playing when behind, playing with systems is a minute by minute thing sometimes, dictated by the circumstances, so any assumption by a fan, is not likely very accurate of what an NHL coach is doing night in and night out.

Lazy said he "wanted blood after the shitty season" and so did I, but I guess I will have to fall into the "almost happy he will be back camp".

I certainly don't think this season can be an ultimate measure of his tenure this time, and I kind of like the idea of stability(like when Price is healthy) in the organization, and I do not have the knowledge to assess an NHL team, but a moron could see MT had no real lineup to compete for most of this past season.

Bergevin's insistence on MT being respected by the Habs players, and his mantra of "getting through this as a team" makes me think that this team, when healthy will again compete for 1st in the Eastern conference, where this no good coach had them since he took over this time.

The roster is Bergevin's responsibility, and to gut the future to save this season, and go out in 4 like Philly is doing would be stupid, just as stupid as firing a coach of a perennial 100 pt team when it's healthy, without giving him a chance after you, as GM, decide to "not mortgage the future" to save the season of 2015/16...

Ya know that sure sounded like a personal attack, but I can't reach the roof much less go through it. I honestly thought my post was pretty reasonable. I can do far worse. As most of you know. :) As to my credentials, you are right, my logic comes from 52 years of playing and watching hockey. I may not have worked in the business, but do I have to to have an opinion? Hey I spent over 30 years in the car business running dealerships. Designing systems is kinda what I did and made me very successful. I still consult for people and I still sell cars.

Does that mean that your opinion is worthless? No way. So why is mine? What I don't like is the assumption that I will hate the next coach because I think Le Genius is an idiot. His "process" works on one and only one principle "hey Carey are you good to go". We as fans are being fed a BIG load of BS. Btw I also was never impressed with Glen ("hey Wayne get on the ice") Sather.

A good coach would not throw PK under the bus. A good coach would not staple his best defenceman to the bench when Patches forks up. AHH hell you have heard it all before. My opinion LOUSY COACH.

habs rule, just for the record, I'm NOT accusing you, specifically, of being a chronic, permanent coach-hater.

All I'm really saying is that Martin had legions of haters who demonized him for every single choice he made, irrespective of how the team played. And now Therrien has legions of haters who demonize him for every single choice he makes. That's seven years of - seemingly - the overwhelming majority of Habs fans being utterly, absolutely, and intransigently convinced that these accomplished career coaches were/are thoroughly inept drooling imbeciles unfit to coach a pee-wee team. Given that many of the things for which these coaches are continually attacked, such as putting bottom-6ers on the top 6, favouring defence, mixing and matching lines, etc., are things that nearly EVERY NHL coach does, Therrien's successor will likely be in for a similar level of demonization (although I'll grant that someone with minimal track record will get a much longer rope, if the widespread support for those non-entities Boucher and Carbo is any indication). The point is that, regardless of whether any individual poster is a certified coach-hater, firing MT will not change the basic dynamic of fuming, mass indignation at the coach.

But I don't mean to catch you in this net. You seem to have a very particular beef with MT, and that's OK by me...not that you need my approval ;)

habs rule, just for the record, I'm NOT accusing you, specifically, of being a chronic, permanent coach-hater.

All I'm really saying is that Martin had legions of haters who demonized him for every single choice he made, irrespective of how the team played. And now Therrien has legions of haters who demonize him for every single choice he makes. That's seven years of - seemingly - the overwhelming majority of Habs fans being utterly, absolutely, and intransigently convinced that these accomplished career coaches were/are thoroughly inept drooling imbeciles unfit to coach a pee-wee team. Given that many of the things for which these coaches are continually attacked, such as putting bottom-6ers on the top 6, favouring defence, mixing and matching lines, etc., are things that nearly EVERY NHL coach does, Therrien's successor will likely be in for a similar level of demonization (although I'll grant that someone with minimal track record will get a much longer rope, if the widespread support for those non-entities Boucher and Carbo is any indication). The point is that, regardless of whether any individual poster is a certified coach-hater, firing MT will not change the basic dynamic of fuming, mass indignation at the coach.

But I don't mean to catch you in this net. You seem to have a very particular beef with MT, and that's OK by me...not that you need my approval ;)

The only thing I want is a coach who is smart enough to design a plan that fits his players. Le Genius wants his players to fit his plan. That does not work. That is how you end up with 4th liners on the 1st line etc. etc. I don't really bitch at the players and where they play but when it becomes obvious the we have a team built on speed and skill. But the coach wants dump and chase. It is never going to work. He is a lousy coach because he cannot figure out how to use his players to their best advantage. I think he will get us in the playoffs just about every year but we will never win a cup.

This is the NHL playoffs thread, of which the Habs and their coach are not a part of... sweet Jesus man give us a break on the Therrien shit.

Le Genius wants his players to fit his plan. That does not work. That is how you end up with 4th liners on the 1st line etc.

Not to derail anymore but I am trying hard to think of any first line players who are bumped from the first line in favor of a fourth line player.

This is the NHL playoffs thread, of which the Habs and their coach are not a part of... sweet Jesus man give us a break on the Therrien shit.

Not to derail anymore but I am trying hard to think of any first line players who are bumped from the first line in favor of a fourth line player.

Hey I didn't start posting about Le Genius here, someone else did, I was just responding to posts. I agree we have a thread to discuss his firing. Let's use it. And Illwill I was making a general comment about the complaints that have made against him. My dislike of his coaching methods has to do with systems. I don't always agree with his player decisions but that is not my issue. Now where was I supposed to post this?

Anyone confident Sharks will beat the Kings?

I sure hope so, I loaded up on them in my hockey pool. I think they are better than previous years, even when they had more regular season points.

I'm kinda pulling for the Sharks - who went from being perennial favourites, to perennial also-rans, and now almost forgotten when people rattle off lists of contenders. I think it'd make a great story if they finally did make it to the Finals, in the year when nobody is really taking them seriously.

I'm kinda pulling for the Sharks - who went from being perennial favourites, to perennial also-rans, and now almost forgotten when people rattle off lists of contenders. I think it'd make a great story if they finally did make it to the Finals, in the year when nobody is really taking them seriously.

I want a final four without the Kings, Blackhawks or Rangers.

Same here. Them and St. Louis, really. It'd be good to get some new teams at the top in the West instead of the same old, same old.