It was 23 years ago today

45 second left in the Game Two. The Habs were losing by a goal at home and were already down 0-1 in the Finals. We were staring catastrophe right in the face - set to go back to LA down 0-2. But then, Marty McSorley got called for an illegal stick. Building on the gutsy decision to risk a penalty should the stick call be proved incorrect, Jacques Demers - God love him - pulled Patrick Roy for a two man advantage. And then Eric Desjardins scored to tie it up, then won the game for us on a blast from the top of the circle in OT.

This was one of the most astonishing games in the history of the Stanley Cup Finals. And I was there in the Forum that night. Every single person in the building, including the LA Kings, knew that there was NO WAY this team was going to lose in OT. That tying goal was the single most dramatic mood swing of my life - from despair to ecstasy in a split second.

:gohabsgo:

• Upvote 1

'93 was a magical year, especially for me personally. That's the one and only year I attended every playoff game in Montreal. I had finished college, had a year off, and just spent my time doing what I wanted. I had a boss that was a Montreal fan, so on Saturday mornings, we'd get on separate phone lines in the office and just keep speed dialing until we got through to the box office. The first few games were standing room tickets (funny to think they sold standing room), most of the rest were whites, first row balcony when I could get em. $35/ticket if I remember correctly. $12 for the standing.

I moved out of NY in '96, and haven't been back to a game in Montreal since. Soon.

I was 9. My parents let me watch the whole games during the playoffs.

I was not allowed to watch until the end during the regular season.

Good times.

I remember the evening well(ish) after that goal the shoots came out and well blur :gohabsgo:

A pretty good goalie to rely on kinda helps eh.

I couldn't stand Desjardins and then he pulled off that frickin hat-trick, who could of predicted that?

I was 9. My parents let me watch the whole games during the playoffs.

I was not allowed to watch until the end during the regular season.

Good times.

Lucky. I had to go to bed after the 2nd period no matter what.

I was 31, I had a daughter born in '92 and my son born in '93, the glorious last Cup came between.

I watched the first 2 games in my rec room with my buddies, Quebec won both as I sat there listening to my buds rake me over the coals and have their fun. When Dave left the night of game 2 he said "Bud, I don't want to jinx ya, I'm not coming for next game".

From there on out, I did not invite anyone over for a game, in fact it became a running joke among my friends that I was so superstitious, I wouldn't even answer the phone on weekend game nights when I wasn't working.

I worked a job that was constant night shift at the time, so I recorded every game of the playoffs on VHS, and still have the finals kicking around somewhere...

• Upvote 1

I was a junior in high school in Athens, Greece. This is pre internet, so I would watch CNN International as soon as I woke up in the morning and pray that their World Sport segment which aired 5 min before I had to get the school bus would show the results of the previous night. If it didn't I had to resort to to two day old USA Today's.

I can't remember how I found out about the outcome of game #2 but I definitely remember the phone call got from my cousin in Montreal at 5am the night they won the cup!!

Lucky. I had to go to bed after the 2nd period no matter what.

My dad sent me to bed before the end of the third period of Game 7 against Boston in 1979. I remember being terrified because the Habs were losing, and praying with all my might that they would win. God - or Guy Lafleur - held up his end, but I've always kind of held it against my pop that he denied me the chance to stay up to see Guy score his famous goal.

As for '93, I was doing the standing room thing, like huzer! When Desjardins tied it up, it was absolute bedlam - guys racing down the aisle high-fiving everyone, beer flying all over the place, the drunk French guy who had sagged into despair, only raising his head every few minutes to show YOU BIG DISGRAAAACE!!! at the referee, was suddenly laughing and jumping up and down, total strangers hugging, total madness. It was A-MA-AZING. Think of how you felt when Sid scored the Golden Goal. Then multiply that feeling by about 10. I tell ya - that's how it felt to be in the Forum that moment.

I was also in standing room for Game Five a few nights later. My brother held my spot in line for about five hours until I got off work. That game was kind of boring, as a hockey game; but I will never forget the sight of Patrick Roy lifting the Stanley Cup on the ice right in front of us. I was on a natural high for about a week.

My fondest sports-related wish is that fans too young to remember '93 get to experience the pure joy that comes when the Habs win it all.

• Upvote 1

Haha. My dad was so stressed in the 79 game 7, he went and had a bath. He came flying out with a towel when I started cheering.

93, I was in a bar full of kings fans. Wtf? I'm surprised I didn't get my ass kicked. I was a cocky little bastard back then. Well... cocky big bastard. Maybe that's why. Good times. Now I'm middle aged and waiting for that feeling again.

Lol, I watched them lift the cup in '79 from a hospital bed, in Halifax, in traction from a dislocated hip... good times! :halm:

• 2 weeks later...