Habs acquire Andrew Shaw; Eller to Washington

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

Well except for actually scoring.

Eller is an analytics darling, but it never translates into points. Its an issue I've had with him for some time.

He will keep possession. He will cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and lose the puck or take a shot from a bad angle.

I like analytics, like them a lot, but they are not infalliable.

Guys like Semin who were taking a ton of bad angle shots.

Guys like Eller who maintain possession but never create anything with it.

They can get overrated by the analytics.

I'm not sad to see Eller go. I just don't get why Bergevin wouldn't put the cap space he just gained towards a legit top 6'er. Not tie his hands on a long term deal with another 30 pt player.

I think the plan here is

Move out eller, spend a small amount more, have an upgrade and guy who plays in the top 6.

Then

Acquire legit top 6 guy.

At least I hope thats the plan.

Don't be surprised to see Emelin move tomorrow.

guys we need more 3rd and 4th liners because? If he had stopped at dumping Eller no problem but really 2 2nd rounders in the deepest draft in years to get another guy who can't score?

In case I have not made myself clear before, WE NEED FORKING GOALS, Shaw does not give us that. He gives a guy who can't score and probably will not do well under Le Genius system because nobody knows what it is. Or maybe it is all about Le Genius, and his love for pluggers. Thank the great pumpkin that Lafleur never played for him. Or the Rocket or Jean Beliveau for that matter. FORK

guys we need more 3rd and 4th liners because? If he had stopped at dumping Eller no problem but really 2 2nd rounders in the deepest draft in years to get another guy who can't score?

In case I have not made myself clear before, WE NEED FORKING GOALS, Shaw does not give us that. He gives a guy who can't score and probably will not do well under Le Genius system because nobody knows what it is. Or maybe it is all about Le Genius, and his love for pluggers. Thank the great pumpkin that Lafleur never played for him. Or the Rocket or Jean Beliveau for that matter. FORK

100% agree. We need two LEGIT goal scorers. Not more 3rd liners playing in the top 6. We also can't afford to make expensive signings like Shaw. There is a reason why the Hawks didn't resign him - despite saying he was irreplaceable. They apparently learned their lessons from the Boland and Bickell deals and didn't ante up for Shaw.

If the hawks problems have taught anything - you don't pay $4M for 3rd/4th liners and bottom pairing dmen. Let's say we sign Shaw for $4M+. We have DD at $3.5M, Emelin at $4.1M. We are going to shell out big bucks to Galchenyuk, Price and Maxpac. Yes, DD, Pleks and Markov will come of the books, but Pleks and Markove's place in the lineup still need to be replaced.

100% agree. We need two LEGIT goal scorers. Not more 3rd liners playing in the top 6. We also can't afford to make expensive signings like Shaw. There is a reason why the Hawks didn't resign him - despite saying he was irreplaceable. They apparently learned their lessons from the Boland and Bickell deals and didn't ante up for Shaw.

If the hawks problems have taught anything - you don't pay $4M for 3rd/4th liners and bottom pairing dmen. Let's say we sign Shaw for $4M+. We have DD at $3.5M, Emelin at $4.1M. We are going to shell out big bucks to Galchenyuk, Price and Maxpac. Yes, DD, Pleks and Markov will come of the books, but Pleks and Markove's place in the lineup still need to be replaced.

Either MB signs him on a brige deal or we wasted 2 2nd round picks who may have turned out to be better. At some point you have to make a move, this was a typical Mark Down Marky move and I think it will back fire.

I agree we tend to have way too many 3rd and 4th liners. I agree we need legit top 6 forwards probably 2 of them and I'm not including Shaw in that.

I disagree with your assessment of Andrew Shaw however. He can in fact score goals he has 70 career and is only 24 years old. He's not your typical 3rd/4th liner that is lucky to score 5. He also has the ability to throw goalies and defensemen off their game which we don't have much of. As for Therrien he'll definitely love this guy, a grinder that can actually play hockey is like his wet dream. The main downside to Shaw is that he is going to be overpaid for his role unless MB can convince his agent that he isn't worth more than Gallagher's contract.

As for the Eller part I actually really like the trade, I like having the picks in 2017 and 2018 they will hopefully come in handy the next 2 years at the trade deadline.

I don't mind tinkering and improving the defense and the bottom 6 but this whole offseason hinges on MBs ability to find a top 6 forward. Please no more band-aids.

Markov will be replaced by Sergachev and Emelin is going to be traded. As for replacing Plex, we do that either FA or from the farm in 2018. I'm fine with Desharnais playing on the 3rd line for one more year then he's gone. Most likley cap goes up in 2017 which means we have Markov's money going to Price and Desharnais' money going to Galchenyuk with some flexibility because of the raising cap. It'll work out.

Ladd - Plekanec - Shaw

Calling it now

Read a lot last night that MTL needs to ice a 'super pest line' of Shaw/Plekanec/Gallagher next season. It would drive opposing teams crazy!

Either MB signs him on a brige deal or we wasted 2 2nd round picks who may have turned out to be better. At some point you have to make a move, this was a typical Mark Down Marky move and I think it will back fire.

There won't be a bridge deal coming, one of those would take him to UFA eligibility. He just came off his bridge deal actually (and is due a QO of $2.5 million, by the way).

According to source, $4.5m/yr figure for #Blackhawks to keep Shaw is inaccurate. Hearing he wanted term and around $3.2m AAV cap hit.

— Brian Hedger (@BrianHedger) June 25, 2016
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well that's encouraging!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I hope that is true, I did not know about QO of 2.5, why is that so high? Ok so maybe we sign him for 3 mill for 3 or 4 years? maybe in 2 years this looks like a good deal.

I hope that is true, I did not know about QO of 2.5, why is that so high? Ok so maybe we sign him for 3 mill for 3 or 4 years? maybe in 2 years this looks like a good deal.

He made $2.5 M in salary last year. The QO for salaries at that point is 100%.

It looks like a good deal right now.

Is this move more evidence that Bergevin is one of those GM's who has 'his guys', and will stick with them/overvalue them? His foxhole boys, Lefebvre, his enthusiasm about Danault, etc?

Shaw definitely improves our team over Eller, but we need one if not two top 6 guys, and it's looking like we'll be lucky to get one.

Five years would be gross.

Just curious as to why? If MB signs him for 5 years @ at 3.5M per year, I fail to understand why that's awful. Those are the price tags for Eller and Desharnais and Shaw is going to be a much better player than those two.