2016 Free Agency - July 1st, who do Habs target?

JGC21

With the 'free agency window' open and teams are allowed to start preliminary talks with players, who do the Canadiens and MB target? Who do we want them to target? Who will most likley sign in MTL on July 1st?

Obvious targets: Stamkos, Okposo

Who I would like: Ladd, Lucic

Most likely to sign: Brouwer, Perron

Obvious targets are more 4th liners, bottom pair dmen

Likely targets washed up top 6 guys hoping to recapture there offense

Needs are power forwards with size and offensive abilities

• Upvote 1

We agree completely, for a change.

I agreed with something you said last week. So that makes it 2 out of like 1000 posts. Hopefully this recent hot streak doesn't mean I am starting to go senile :lol:

Well we have $12m in cap space, Shaw, Danault, Carr, and Lessio as RFA. I would imagine 3 if not all of those would be resigned. Be surprised if Shaw gets less than $4m whether we like it or not. Tack on another $2.5m between Danault, Carr and Lessio. Leaves us with $5.5m in cap space. Best case Scenario is Shaw @ $3.5m and still looking at $2m with the other 3, so $6.5m cap space. I really don't see Stamkos in our future.

That being said, maybe a Pleks and DD buyout would open the cap. Doubt we are gonna be able to shed those 2 contracts for nothing. Still realistically I don't see us fitting another $11m under the cap, which is what Stamkos is going to get. The Subban and Price factor is intriguing no doubt, but I can't see him taking a pay cut for that.

Well we have $12m in cap space, Shaw, Danault, Carr, and Lessio as RFA. I would imagine 3 if not all of those would be resigned. Be surprised if Shaw gets less than $4m whether we like it or not. Tack on another $2.5m between Danault, Carr and Lessio. Leaves us with $5.5m in cap space. Best case Scenario is Shaw @ $3.5m and still looking at $2m with the other 3, so $6.5m cap space. I really don't see Stamkos in our future.

That being said, maybe a Pleks and DD buyout would open the cap. Doubt we are gonna be able to shed those 2 contracts for nothing. Still realistically I don't see us fitting another $11m under the cap, which is what Stamkos is going to get. The Subban and Price factor is intriguing no doubt, but I can't see him taking a pay cut for that.

Teams can go over the cap until September I believe. Hopefully that means MB can target some UFA forwards knowing that he has time to go over the cap and jettison players like Desharnais and Emelin if/when he needs that extra $7.6M.

The only way this team wins a stanley cup is with Steven Stamkos, the #1 Center they need. They could win multiple stanley cups over the next few years.

If Stamkos truly wants to win cups, he should seriously consider Montreal.

Yes Bergevin would have to get creative and find a way to ship out a few contracts, starting with Plekanec, but that's what it takes.

Realistically I don't see Montreal signing any of the big name free agents

Teams can go over the cap until September I believe. Hopefully that means MB can target some UFA forwards knowing that he has time to go over the cap and jettison players like Desharnais and Emelin if/when he needs that extra $7.6M.

Indeed! We sometimes forget that teams do this all the time. Hopefully Bergevin has it in him to sign the guy he wants and sort out the cap implications later, rather than acting like he is immutably handcuffed by any particular existing contract.

Gonna go slightly off the board here, but Bergevin might make an offer to Vanek.

"Markdown Mark" and all...

Wouldn't be a bit surprised. :nuts:

In the event MB doesn't land anyone else that is offensively gifted, I might not even mind, if he comes cheap enough...

Okposo, Ladd, Brouwer would be my pecking order, but have no clue of cap implications for more than one.

Like Stogey said, my final answer is; first priority sign Stamkos!!! :clap:

If thats the case I think we have a good chance of landing Stamkos if we can offer same term and money. I really think his relationship with Subban and the chance to play with Price is more attractive than what Detroit or Toronto

can offer.

Gonna go slightly off the board here, but Bergevin might make an offer to Vanek.

"Markdown Mark" and all...

What we've seen in the past couple of years, buyout players typically sign cheap and short term. If the trend continues, Vanek for 1 year @ $1.5m-$2m, I think thats a great move. It'll be Semin all over again, low risk high reward.

I would love Stamkos, Okposo, or Lucic. I don't think any of those 3 have any interest in Montreal even if we overpay. Stamkos because of market, Okposo because I think he wants to stay in states, and Lucic because I think he wants to be on west coast.

I say that Backes and Ladd get really bad contracts and Bergevin balks at both.

I think he'll end up signing one of Boedker, Hudler, Brouwer. Then he will go bargain bin shopping and see if he can get another vet on a cap friendly deal.

I don't know why exactly, but I've thought for a while that Hudler would end up here. Relatively affordable mid-range top 6ish FW, fits with the 'roll three lines' philosophy that has predominated in the Bergevin era...just seems a probable fit. Kind of like Fleischmann did for 20 games there.

He looked horrible last year in Calgary - washed up horrible. Not sure how he fared after getting traded.

I don't know why exactly, but I've thought for a while that Hudler would end up here. Relatively affordable mid-range top 6ish FW, fits with the 'roll three lines' philosophy that has predominated in the Bergevin era...just seems a probable fit. Kind of like Fleischmann did for 20 games there.

He looked horrible last year in Calgary - washed up horrible. Not sure how he fared after getting traded.

He didn't do much better, and was invisible in the playoffs. I think his game is in full decline, and although I think he'd be an ok option for us, as a third liner that can get spot duty in the top 6 (much like Fleischmann) he'd better not be THE solution to our scoring woes.

Holy smokes, what do people want around here? Stamkos, Lucic, Okposo - those players don't want to play in MTL. I applaud MB for being gutsy and trading 2 picks for a character guy who makes the Habs tougher NOW. As for UFA's, I would love Ladd but let's keep bitching that we won't get Stamkos...