2016 Free Agency - July 1st, who do Habs target?

JGC21

Holy smokes, what do people want around here? Stamkos, Lucic, Okposo - those players don't want to play in MTL. I applaud MB for being gutsy and trading 2 picks for a character guy who makes the Habs tougher NOW. As for UFA's, I would love Ladd but let's keep bitching that we won't get Stamkos...

I think he views Shaw as a top 6 forward on this team thus the investment in both Money and draft picks. With that being said I definitely think his primary target now is going to be Ladd. I think he's going for a LWer that can play behind Pacioretty and then he'll look for an affordable 10-15g scorer for the 3rd line. He's made it pretty clear leadership and cup experience is number 1 on his list.

Ladd wouldn't be bad, 4 years would be about right.

I really don't like the idea of chasing all the guys the blackhawks didn't think were worth keeping.

I really don't like the idea of chasing all the guys the blackhawks didn't think were worth keeping.

Hogwash! It's not that they didn't think they were worth keeping, it came down to what was in the pipeline, and the money they could spend.

Thing is, Blackhawks couldn't afford to keep them all, they wanted Ladd back for a playoff run though didn't they?

Ladd would be a great UFA to sign, scores, physical, leader, plays in all situations, strong NHL'er, what's the problem?

Like Byfuglien, Saad, Ladd, Teravainen?

They had to trade players due to a combination of success and a screw up by Dave Tallon (years back)in getting paper work out in time for qualifying offers to a bunch of players thereby making players more expensive earlier then they should have been.

Saying they are getting rid of or got rid of Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg, Saad and Shaw because they didn't want them is just pure ignorance

He turned down 6 years, $6 million (or around there) from the Jets. For someone like him, term will be huge. I'd be surprised if he doesn't land a 6 year deal somewhere with whoever gets him fully knowing the last year or two will be ugly. I don't think he'd take 4 years.

He turned down 6 years, $6 million (or around there) from the Jets. For someone like him, term will be huge. I'd be surprised if he doesn't land a 6 year deal somewhere with whoever gets him fully knowing the last year or two will be ugly. I don't think he'd take 4 years.

For a contender, I would guess he would lower his expectations.

I'm hoping for Ladd as well: 20-goal scorer with good character who fits in nicely on the left side. I hope he's MB's target after they strike out on Okposo. If not Ladd, then Brouwer. What do people think of Perron?

I'm hoping for Ladd as well: 20-goal scorer with good character who fits in nicely on the left side. I hope he's MB's target after they strike out on Okposo. If not Ladd, then Brouwer. What do people think of Perron?

Perron is intriguing but has had injury issues in the past and only seems to fit in certain situations. He wouldn't be a top guy to go after but if the Habs strike out on the big players and wind up with a couple of mid-tier people instead, he should be in the discussion.

What would Perron go for?

He's in that $3-4 million a year range (with guys like Hudler, Purcell, Vrbata, Shipachyov if he indeed is able to sign now, Versteeg, McGinn). I pegged him at 3 years, $3.85 million per on that top 50 list I posted the other day.

The point is that they recognized that under a cap system, you choose who to pay and who to part ways with. They didn't make the right decision with bufliyn, or terovouvin. I think they were smart to cut bait with shaw,ladd, and Saad. I'd love to have Saad on my team. But no at friggin $6m.

Average pretenders will pay Saad $6m, ladd $5.5m and shaw $4m. Serious cup contenders will not. This isn't 1996 when you could pay your 4th liners as much as your 1st line because of the intangibles they bring.

Signing Shaw to almost $4m for 6 years is idiotic when we still have to ante up for the next contracts of Price, maxpac and Galchenyuk, which will probably combine for $23m. In 3 years, we'll probably be paying $32m for 4 players, which doesn't allow for the luxery of $4m 3rd liners. If any of our young players hit their bonuses in their entry level deals at the time, those also won't be cheap contracts. We are setting out selves up for the same mismanagement the Hawks had under Tallon. I guess markdown mark did learn that under tallon.

I also see MB as a someone blind to the weaknesses or limitations of his chums (lefebve, le genius, JJ), as well as guys like shaw who he scouted.

They had to trade players due to a combination of success and a screw up by Dave Tallon (years back)in getting paper work out in time for qualifying offers to a bunch of players thereby making players more expensive earlier then they should have been.

Saying they are getting rid of or got rid of Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg, Saad and Shaw because they didn't want them is just pure ignorance

• Upvote 1

Perron did have a decent finish to the year in Anaheim, in the regular season. When i think of him, i think concussions, granted it's been 5 years since the last one. I was reading some fancy stats on him somewhere (maybe EOTP) that showed he needed 1st line minutes to get 2/3 line points. His stand-out year in Edmonton is the anomaly.

Would be a decent concession though if all the other options fail.

Okoposo and Eriksson would be my bet, and i lean on the former just because Kyle i think is looking for huge dollars and probably a US destination.

Average pretenders will pay Saad $6m, ladd $5.5m and shaw $4m. Serious cup contenders will not. This isn't 1996 when you could pay your 4th liners as much as your 1st line because of the intangibles they bring.

Signing Shaw to almost $4m for 6 years is idiotic when we still have to ante up for the next contracts of Price, maxpac and Galchenyuk, which will probably combine for $23m. In 3 years, we'll probably be paying $32m for 4 players, which doesn't allow for the luxery of $4m 3rd liners.

In 3 years Markov, Plekanec, DD, and Emelin's contracts will be up. that's 21m right there that can be spread across Price's, MaxPac, and Gally's new contracts - and leave us plenty of spare room even if they all got double the money. As many have stated, there will be plenty of fresh blood coming in from the farm to plug in those roster holes at an affordable rate.

The point is that they recognized that under a cap system, you choose who to pay and who to part ways with. They didn't make the right decision with bufliyn, or terovouvin. I think they were smart to cut bait with shaw,ladd, and Saad. I'd love to have Saad on my team. But no at friggin $6m.

Signing Shaw to almost $4m for 6 years is idiotic when we still have to ante up for the next contracts of Price, maxpac and Galchenyuk, which will probably combine for $23m. In 3 years, we'll probably be paying $32m for 4 players, which doesn't allow for the luxery of $4m 3rd liners. If any of our young players hit their bonuses in their entry level deals at the time, those also won't be cheap contracts. We are setting out selves up for the same mismanagement the Hawks had under Tallon. I guess markdown mark did learn that under tallon.

I also see MB as a someone blind to the weaknesses or limitations of his chums (lefebve, le genius, JJ), as well as guys like shaw who he scouted.

Things are bleak, only getting worse; but, at least some are consistent with that pessimism thing they got going I suppose. :bonk:

Average pretenders will pay Saad $6m, ladd $5.5m and shaw $4m. Serious cup contenders will not.

Pittsburgh won the Stanley Cup paying Marc-Andre Fleury $5.75 million to sit on a bench and paid Carl Hagelin $4M to put up less points than Andrew Shaw in the regular season. That kind of talk just doesn't fly anymore. It's about the overall team you build.

I don't like this deal either and would prefer to have had the cap space open for the market but Andrew Shaw isn't going to keep us from winning a Cup just because of his salary. Don't forget that the last time the Hawks won the Cup, they had Bryan Bickell burning a $4M hole in their cap. Stanley Cup winning GMs are not perfect.

• Upvote 2

Pittsburgh won the Stanley Cup paying Marc-Andre Fleury $5.75 million to sit on a bench and paid Carl Hagelin $4M to put up less points than Andrew Shaw in the regular season. That kind of talk just doesn't fly anymore. It's about the overall team you build.

I don't like this deal either and would prefer to have had the cap space open for the market but Andrew Shaw isn't going to keep us from winning a Cup just because of his salary. Don't forget that the last time the Hawks won the Cup, they had Bryan Bickell burning a $4M hole in their cap. Stanley Cup winning GMs are not perfect.

"Stanley Cup Winning GMs are not perfect." Well said.

Even though we disagree on the Shaw signing I agree 100% with this post. Well said.