2016 Free Agency - July 1st, who do Habs target?

JGC21

Part of the best 4th line in hockey.

This team CAN NOT, under any circumstances have enough 4th liners.

I don't mind adding size and grit, But they have like 12 4th liners under contract already

David Perron, winger, 570 games played, 28yrs and averages 20.28 goals/82games.

Would he be best bang for buck?

$4.5m/yr for 3years or maybe $4/yr for 4 yrs?

David Perron, winger, 570 games played, 28yrs and averages 20.28 goals/82games.

Would he be best bang for buck?

$4.5m/yr for 3years or maybe $4/yr for 4 yrs?

Ya, my gut tells me MB will swing and miss on all the goodie UFA's and end up with Perron. He's not a terrible signing, he's just not Okposo or Ladd or Brouwer.

If MB signs both Weise and Martin, then I'm officially confused...

Everyone talks players here - and there seems to be a lot of consolation prize talk already. We have to think approach.

If I'm Bergy, I'm thinking it's Stamkos or Okposo or Nothing At All. Why burn money on players that will cost too much and not get the job done? If Stammer wants to play in DET or BUF or TOR, then fine. He can take the money but that's a loser's approach.

At that rate he will never get to the Crosby or Toews level of winning multiple Cups. Stamkos is going to retire a very rich man. He should be thinking "winning team" not the next Joe Thornton.

Everyone talks players here - and there seems to be a lot of consolation prize talk already. We have to think approach.

If I'm Bergy, I'm thinking it's Stamkos or Okposo or Nothing At All. Why burn money on players that will cost too much and not get the job done? If Stammer wants to play in DET or BUF or TOR, then fine. He can take the money but that's a loser's approach.

At that rate he will never get to the Crosby or Toews level of winning multiple Cups. Stamkos is going to retire a very rich man. He should be thinking "winning team" not the next Joe Thornton.

Stamkos wants to stay in Tampa but doesn't want to take way under his price point.

I took a look at the list of top free agents and the only ones that I think would have any type of positive impact are Stamkos, Okposo, Lucic and Backes (alright Ladd & Brouwer but I'd prefer the rest). Eriksson has some talent as well but I don't think he would stand out and if he did, I wouldn't like our chances at being a contender.

To varying degrees, I'd be happy with any of those signings. I am one of those who is a little skeptical about how Okposo will fare away from Tavares though.

The more I read, the more I think Bergevin will target Mikkel Boedker. Probably fits salary cap...skates well...comes from defense 1st system.

Boedker is not good defensively. He's a defensive liability.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-the-avalanche-were-big-losers-in-the-mikkel-boedker-trade/

Sounds like Bergevin threatened offer sheet on Saad last year, might he try again?

Offer sheets made in past (Ian McLaren);

(not sure why most involved are western teams?)

CmHtWK0VEAASEQs.jpg

I have to admit I like those Stamkos rumours. Notwithstanding all the caveats, a team with Stamkos and Galy at C, along with Patches and Gallagher up front, Subban on the back end and Price in the nets, would be a frigging MONSTER. :halm: I doubt it will happen, but it's nice to fantasize about for a couple of days :nuts:

• Upvote 1

I would have been much more hyped by the Stamkos rumours if we would just have unloaded Eller instead of taking Shaw back with about the same salary.

I would have been much more hyped by the Stamkos rumours if we would just have unloaded Eller instead of taking Shaw back with about the same salary.

So we just unload DD. Same cap savings. Big shmeal.

Any known dance partner for DD though ? It's June 29th already...

I doubt it, not after his disastrous year last season. I suspect we'd be looking at a burying him in the minors for a year before letting his contract expire - IF we are so desperate for cap room as to make that necessary.

Emelin is likely more marketable IMHO.

Montreal can go over cap by 10%. So sign Stamkos and worry later.

Montreal has 5 2nd rounders over next 2 years. Package one of them with Deaharnais could get rid of the problem.

Plekanec could be moved too.