2016 Free Agency - July 1st, who do Habs target?

JGC21

Montreal can go over cap by 10%. So sign Stamkos and worry later.

Montreal has 5 2nd rounders over next 2 years. Package one of them with Deaharnais could get rid of the problem.

Plekanec could be moved too.

I don't like the idea of throwing away 2nd rounders. DD's contract ends after this season, so that seems like an overreaction, unless Molson is absolutely opposed to eating that $3.5 mil on a short-term basis.

Doesn't Pleks have a NTC? Stamkos/Galy/Pleks would be one of the best C configurations out there, so I'd hate to lose him. Might be better to see if we can't keep him and then resign him to a more modest cap hit when his deal is up. I still see Emelin as the contract most likely to be moved in order to clear cap space.

Nobody is taking DD without incentive...either retain part of his salary (counter productive) or draft picks to move the entire contract. Who gives a shit about a 2nd if your trying to win now

Only way Montreal affords Stamkos is by moving out Plekanec $6 million. Thatgives Stamkos/Galchenyuk/Shaw/Mitchell down the middle.

Besides Plekanec has most realistic chance of being moved out without retaining salary. He's got value regardless of what haters on here say. Solid 2 way 20 goal 50 point guy.

I have no doubt Pleks, DD, and Emelin can all be moved for picks/junk to free up cap space -- I just don't see why Stamkos would want to sign here. If we sign him at 11 AAV (for example) he would be losing about 41 of his 77 mil. That, plus the misery of MTL media and fan expectations, the language, etc. ...

I have no doubt Pleks, DD, and Emelin can all be moved for picks/junk to free up cap space -- I just don't see what Stamkos would want to sign here. If we sign him at 11 AAV (for example) we would be losing about 41 of his 77 mil. That, plus the misery of MTL media and fan expectations, the language, etc. ...

I'm inclined to agree, but...hey, we have two days to dream :)

Doesn't Pleks have a NTC? Stamkos/Galy/Pleks would be one of the best C configurations out there, so I'd hate to lose him. Might be better to see if we can't keep him and then resign him to a more modest cap hit when his deal is up. I still see Emelin as the contract most likely to be moved in order to clear cap space.

Plekanec's NTC expires Friday as his new deal does not have an NTC or NMC.

We have over 8 million in space today. Sign Stamkos, move emelin, sign a 700,000 dman, re-sign carr and danault, and you should be fine. If you really need to, buy out DD (or trade him with half salary retention).

I did it 7x.

Got Montreal 2x, Buffalo 2x, Detroit 2x and Vancouver once lol

I did it about 20 times, never came up Montreal. Tampa a bunch of times followed by Vancouver 3 times, Trawna 1 time.

I did it 7x.

Got Montreal 2x, Buffalo 2x, Detroit 2x and Vancouver once lol

I did it about 20 times, never came up Montreal. Tampa a bunch of times followed by Vancouver 3 times, Trawna 1 time.

9 times. 0 Montreal. According to my spins, Stamkos should get along with Al the Octopus just fine.

9 times. 0 Montreal. According to my spins, Stamkos should get along with Al the Octopus just fine.

First time was Montreal. I quit while I was ahead.

Oilers traded Hall for Larsson...too bad Beaulieu wasn't RH and wouldn't need to worry about UFAs (cept for a d-man) with Hall as new winger.

Oilers traded Hall for Larsson...too bad Beaulieu wasn't RH and wouldn't need to worry about UFAs (cept for a d-man) with Hall as new winger.

Beaulieu isn't even close to being as good as Larsson, nor does he have the same upside.

Here's a thought, albeit maybe a crazy one - would UFA's be more attractive to play for MTL now that Shea Weber is on the team? He has super duper respect amongst the players in the league.

That's the same logic that landed us gomez

Here's a thought, albeit maybe a crazy one - would UFA's be more attractive to play for MTL now that Shea Weber is on the team? He has super duper respect amongst the players in the league.

I don't think it's a crazy thought at all. Weber and Shaw are both very good in the room by all accounts. It might help the cause.

I don't think it's a crazy thought at all. Weber and Shaw are both very good in the room by all accounts. It might help the cause.

It's not crazy at all, in fact, I think that it's the biggest reason for the Subban trade, not necessarily for UFA's, but for the entire aura and atmosphere of the entire team and organization.

Bland and robotic compared to PK maybe, but just maybe that's not bad in the hockey universe?

MB is definitely going for a culture change heading into this season, with grit, character and resume at the forefront. I'm thinking he will take a run at former Captains Ladd, Backes and Staal, maybe even cup winners Campbell and Versteeg. Acquiring just two of those players changes the look of the entire team.