Subban traded to Nashville

dlbalr

Former Nashville coach Barry Trotz commented on the Weber-Subban trade (plus a bit on the Radulov signing): http://sports.yahoo.com/news/barry-trotz-subban-vs-weber-000000295.html

Haha

The only thing I wish we would have known was we weren’t quite sure if Rad was 100 percent coming back, and the trade deadline fell where it did and we got Andrei Kostitsyn and then we got Rad. We didn’t need both. We just needed one of them

I don't think Andrei Kostitsyn has ever received a bigger compliment.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny he's done better than Weber in actual NHL awards too....

He leads the super advanced stat of Norris Trophies Won, by 1-0

Liar...isn't a fancy stat and many would argue seems wrong choice often. And many might only give Subban's Norris 1/2 value for only playing 1/2 a year to get it.

If you win a Norris during a half season, or you are a 3 time Finalist, who is actually the more dominating d-man overall? Barry Trotz, one of the most respected Coaches and Hockey minds in the game today just blantly said Montreal Traded a very good player for a superstar. If you read between the lines there is almost a slight towards how PK plays the game, the high risk end to end play doesn't seem to sit well with Trotz either, a very team Canada like analysis of our dear friend PK, probably why similar minds left him at home.

How many more highly knowledgeable hockey people need to say the same thing over and over before we take the blinders off and realize there is more to this than we will ever truly know.

I've made my peace with it, I am ready to embrace all the things Weber brings to the table, and i'm certainly not biased enough to just swiftly backhand off the table the opinion of a guy like Trotz.

I've made my peace with it, I am ready to embrace all the things Weber brings to the table, and i'm certainly not biased enough to just swiftly backhand off the table the opinion of a guy like Trotz.

I think it's wrong to backhand opinions either way, unless their tone and words show a lack of understanding when it comes to the modern game.

You also have Peter Laviolette who got exactly what he wanted. Lavi in 2014:

“Everywhere I’ve been, I think guys want to work, generally speaking,” Laviolette said, as the Tennessean reported. “They want to work, they want to play hard. Given the choice, they would rather attack.”

That's not Weber's play style. Then Lavi talking about the difference between PK and Weber in 2016:

“I think they’re both elite defencemen,” Laviolette said. “P.K., I think when people might talk about him it would be his skating, the fact that he transport the puck himself, the fact that he can distribute the puck, he’s constantly in motion.”

Kind of hints to you that he got exactly the kind of player he wanted for the Predators. When you look at the guys Poile has brought in via trade and drafting with Subban, Josi, Ekholm, and Ellis, you get the feeling he just completed the perfect image of his defence with the perfect coach to utilize them.

(Source: NBC)

If you win a Norris during a half season, or you are a 3 time Finalist, who is actually the more dominating d-man overall? Barry Trotz, one of the most respected Coaches and Hockey minds in the game today just blantly said Montreal Traded a very good player for a superstar. If you read between the lines there is almost a slight towards how PK plays the game, the high risk end to end play doesn't seem to sit well with Trotz either, a very team Canada like analysis of our dear friend PK, probably why similar minds left him at home.

How many more highly knowledgeable hockey people need to say the same thing over and over before we take the blinders off and realize there is more to this than we will ever truly know.

Subban has one finalist (in a full season) to go along with his win. Just saying. Its also more recent than any of Weber's nominations.

2 of Weber's 3 nominations are also from more than 4 years ago. The numbers indicate his play started to drop 4 years ago.... so not sure what those two mean today.

If we are talking recent Norris trophy voting, look no further than last season. Not more than 4 seasons ago, not since an apparent drop off in play, 2015-2016.....last season.

Weber - 1 2nd place vote, 1 3rd place vote, 4 4th place votes, 3 5th place votes

Subban - 2 4th place votes

So either Norris votes matter or they don't, not whichever narrative you are trying to portray at the particular time

• Upvote 1

Yes, lets compare the votes in a season where Subban missed the last 14 games of the season due to injury

Well let's all forget that last season didn't happen then. He had 6 measly goals, a ton of second assists, and was the QB of the 25th ranked powerplay, all while playing the 5th most minutes in the league for a team that was garbage. Then he trips and falls, slides into his teammate, injures his neck, gets taken off on a stretcher and hasn't played a game since. I'm sure he would have recieved plenty more votes

Do you think the voters even notice if the assists are primary or secondary, he was still amongst the league leaders in points by a dman when he went down. If he kept that pace, they would have seen him high on the scoring chart, which equals votes.

heck the voters didn't notice that Weber was giving up an insane number of shots, amongst the most of anyone in the NHL, while he was on the ice last year. And yes while there are some mitigating factors that obviously mean he wasn't the worst d in the NHL, those mitigating factors don't take him all the way up to top 5 either.

Elliotte Friedman has some insights into the trade, who else the Habs were talking with (and how those talks didn't go far), and more (Price has some comments that I think may irk some): http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/23-minutes-shook-hockey-world/

Why would price's comments irk anyone? He didn't say anything bad about anyone. All he said was Shea game fits the habs better because of the way the team is coached. He is right in what he said. If we had any other coach PK would still be on the team. That's what I got out of his comments.

Why would price's comments irk anyone? He didn't say anything bad about anyone. All he said was Shea game fits the habs better because of the way the team is coached. He is right in what he said. If we had any other coach PK would still be on the team. That's what I got out of his comments.

Pretty sure Brian referred to the 8 years deal offer that no one had been able to confirm before this day...

Yeah. We traded Subban for Weber and Therrien. I should have been on the 'dump Therrien' bandwagon all along - except that i never dreamed MB would trade Subban to please his bum buddy. Silly me.

Here's what I think will irk some: "P.K. is an offensive defenceman and a risk-taker." There are some posters on this board who strongly disagreed with any assertion that Subban is a risky player; this comment from someone who has played with him for many years would seem to suggest otherwise.

Bum buddy? Are you saying they are homosexual lovers? I didn't know that, not that there is anything wrong with that, of course!

But, you mean that simply in more a negative way I presume?

Here's what I think will irk some: "P.K. is an offensive defenceman and a risk-taker." There are some posters on this board who strongly disagreed with any assertion that Subban is a risky player; this comment from someone who has played with him for many years would seem to suggest otherwise.

Of course he's a risk taker by traditional definitions.... However, since he succeeds far more often than he fails (and this actually leads to less shots against than the typical stay at home style does), I don't have a problem with it.

Of course he's a risk taker by traditional definitions.... However, since he succeeds far more often than he fails (and this actually leads to less shots against than the typical stay at home style does), I don't have a problem with it.

Yeah, that's my take on it as well. PK Subban doing a "risky play" is not the same thing as Nathan Beaulieu doing a risky play, or Greg Pateryn, or Hal Gill, etc. - because most of the time Subban makes it work, where those guys can't; and the dividends can be spectacular. Unfortunately, NHL culture (and it's not just Therrien) tends to be relentlessly homogenizing - everyone has to be a robot - and therefore can't reconcile itself to this. That's one reason the game is so boring, incidentally.

And him leading NHL in turnovers for years, likely doesnt help when add in that he also are a risk taker (thank god Price was there to bail him out), as seen by several game costing gaffs and fellow teammates chastising him after bonehead lone-wolf plays.

And when he tries to go end to end, looks good and fancy but ineffective and normally puck is headed in other direction in short order, unlike a Karlsson rush. A Subban rush has as much a chance of scoring as his shooting from the point does.

Again, he isn't a Hab anymore, he is a member of the team with the ugliest uniform's in the league, so why keep beating dead horse and trying to pump his tires.