Subban traded to Nashville

dlbalr

55 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I think you might misunderstand Subban. There was a really great interview he did that really shows you what he's about. If I can find it I'll post a link.

For him, there's no need to make hockey the one and only thing in his life. He actually thinks having other focuses helps his game because his passion for the game always feels fresh. 

This 'narcissism' isn't actually far off the mark if you remove the negative connotation. Sure I bet Subban loves himself, but there's a difference between self love and Narcissism. You're talking about a guy who spent 10 million bucks on sick kids instead of buying himself a yacht. 

Its almost like Subban gets hate for loving life too much.

I fail to see how factoring in personality to this trade is grasping at straws. 

No doubt I do not know what makes that ex-hab tick and to be blunt, couldn't care less.

Self-love sounds fine, if that is less harsh and am sure he is no different than many ultra rich superstars.

Donations, many rich players do that and many with little fanfare, e.g. there is no "Sedin" wing of Vancouver hospital, Henrik and Daniel wanted to make their donations totally anonymous, but had arms twisted just to make donation known publically to drum up support. No doubt a great thing for him to do and done in a Subbanesque way as well. "Everyone gets a free #76 t-shirt!"

100% of trades 'factor in' the player's personality's, so is just semantics and seems like Subban and his fanclub members are just trying to wrap their heads around his 'failure' to stick with Habs.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

No doubt I do not know what makes that ex-hab tick and to be blunt, couldn't care less.

Self-love sounds fine, if that is less harsh and am sure he is no different than many ultra rich superstars.

Donations, many rich players do that and many with little fanfare, e.g. there is no "Sedin" wing of Vancouver hospital, Henrik and Daniel wanted to make their donations totally anonymous, but had arms twisted just to make donation known publically to drum up support. No doubt a great thing for him to do and done in a Subbanesque way as well. "Everyone gets a free #76 t-shirt!"

100% of trades 'factor in' the player's personality's, so is just semantics and seems like Subban and his fanclub members are just trying to wrap their heads around his 'failure' to stick with Habs.

No doubt PK sells his brand, he makes no qualms about it. The only point I was trying to make with the self-love versus narcissist comment was that for all Subban's shenanigans, the guy is always bringing about positivity. He's not the Donald Trump of hockey, talking about how rich and awesome he is. He's just aware of what he is an isn't afraid to use the power he has for good. I just feel like the guy gets an awful lot of S*** for doing a lot of good. Why do good deeds have to be quiet deeds? We see enough s*** things every day, so why do we pick on the one guy bringing some very good deeds to the public eye? I say make your good deeds as public as possible. Make the world look a little brighter once in a while.

I'd never take away from the Sedins how great a 1.5 million dollar donation is, but PK's was the biggest donation from a sports figure in canadian history. You don't just not hear of that. I'd be damn proud to have my name there too. 

This trade was not predicated on any 'failures' of Subban.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I think you might misunderstand Subban. There was a really great interview he did that really shows you what he's about. If I can find it I'll post a link.

For him, there's no need to make hockey the one and only thing in his life. He actually thinks having other focuses helps his game because his passion for the game always feels fresh. 

This 'narcissism' isn't actually far off the mark if you remove the negative connotation. Sure I bet Subban loves himself, but there's a difference between self love and Narcissism. You're talking about a guy who spent 10 million bucks on sick kids instead of buying himself a yacht. 

Its almost like Subban gets hate for loving life too much.

I fail to see how factoring in personality to this trade is grasping at straws. 

I thought this one was a cool one. maybe this is the one you were talking about?

53 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

there's axes to grind.

Of course there are. One is that on a Habs website, you can dump all you want on almost every Hab employee (Gallagher & Price off limits) as well as the owner, but was and still seems to be taboo to criticize or poke fun at St. Subban (who isn't even a Hab).:spamafote:

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The only teams that value players that conduct themselves as pros over players that win are loser teams. Montreal traded their best offensive player in the playoffs for the past several post-seasons and replaced him with a guy who just had the worst playoff showing of his entire career. Commanding respect around the league doesn't win you anything in the spring except a respectful handshake when your team gets eliminated.

This is a massive stretch.

Also worst playoff showing of his entire career? It seems it works both ways with people trying to sell a narrative. He had one bad game in 7, let's forget his game winning goal and beastly minutes him and Josi had to go through. You act like Subban never had a bad game in the playoffs I can count several.

Honestly this team is better than it was last year and I have a really good feeling this year about this group of guys.

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

Guys it's over. So as the Eagles like to say "get over it"

Sure the trade is done, but you can bet it's far from over! 

My few posts today were less about the trade anyway and more about stating my thoughts about PK. I don't think he deserves the flak. 

But I mean this is the Subban trade thread, you don't have to come read it if you're sick of it (which I don't blame you). Personally I'm done with the for and against arguments, as I think we all are. This whole personality thing was just a new talking point.

• Upvote 1

I'll add my brief encounter with Subban into the personality discussion. I mentioned it before somewhere else, but I went to a fundraiser that he was going to be at. I spent hundreds of dollars for the dinner simply because he would be there (not because I'm that charitable haha). I was seated a few tables away from him and he was in my line of vision of the stage. There was an auction to be able to sit next to him for the evening and the winning bid I believe was around $500. You could tell the guy was a big fan, had a huge smile on his face and a jersey on hand. I would estimate that 90% of the entire event PK was looking down at his cell phone. He didn't get up to the stage to say any words or anything. The only thing he did was wave when he was introduced at the beginning. And it wasn't like it was a superstar laced lineup there, Phaneuf and his wife Elisha Cuthbert were there and a few others that spoke; there were definitely opportunities for him to do something. People would go up to his table and ask for an autograph or picture and he would oblige. When someone asked him for a pic I was near by and I asked if I could too and he didn't respond, I just went over when the other person was done. I was able to get the pic and I made some comment congratulating him on the Norris he just won and I don't recall what he said but it was an underwhelming response. He was just emotionless the entire night, definitely a contrast to anything I've seen of him on TV. I know one night doesn't define a person, but I was quite disappointed with how it all went down

6 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Sure the trade is done, but you can bet it's far from over! 

My few posts today were less about the trade anyway and more about stating my thoughts about PK. I don't think he deserves the flak. 

But I mean this is the Subban trade thread, you don't have to come read it if you're sick of it (which I don't blame you). Personally I'm done with the for and against arguments, as I think we all are. This whole personality thing was just a new talking point.

Hey man I hate THE TRADE, but how long does this go on?  As I always say coaches payers gms and owners will come an go but THE HABS  willl always be here.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, illWill said:

just emotionless the entire night, definitely a contrast to anything I've seen of him on TV. I know one night doesn't define a person, but I was quite disappointed with how it all went down

That was the problem right there...there were no national TV crews filming the event.:nuts:

16 hours ago, illWill said:

He was just emotionless the entire night, definitely a contrast to anything I've seen of him on TV. I know one night doesn't define a person, but I was quite disappointed with how it all went down

This is why when I see people in entertainment I try to just leave them alone. You're not allowed to be bored or have a bad day or want to be somewhere else or have trouble emoting. If you don't sing and dance your hardest for everyone you are disappointing them. 

There was a guy on another board talking how he doesn't talk to the hospital kids the way other players do. He doesn't interact as much. Never does it process that it's difficult for him and maybe that's why he prefers to raise charity money for them instead. It's treated like a tragic flaw , or that he's a charlatan. 

Either way it's all pretty ugly to me. Like I said, he didn't entertain you the way you expected him to. And that's somehow his fault. 

I got a chance to get a pic and hand shake with PK once and he was cool with me. He was leaving a restaurant (burger joint, not the one with his burger), I was going in with my cousin, we crossed paths my cousin grabbed the pic, he and us shared a few words. It was cool! 

Mind you this was before he got his bridge deal and it wasn't an event, just a really cool bumping into a guy you would see on tv :) 

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

This is why when I see people in entertainment I try to just leave them alone. You're not allowed to be bored or have a bad day or want to be somewhere else or have trouble emoting. If you don't sing and dance your hardest for everyone you are disappointing them. 

There was a guy on another board talking how he doesn't talk to the hospital kids the way other players do. He doesn't interact as much. Never does it process that it's difficult for him and maybe that's why he prefers to raise charity money for them instead. It's treated like a tragic flaw , or that he's a charlatan. 

Either way it's all pretty ugly to me. Like I said, he didn't entertain you the way you expected him to. And that's somehow his fault. 

Like I said, a person isn't defined by one evening. There could have been many reasons for the way he was that night. My expectations were very minimal heading into an event that he was headlining and he was literally like a child who had to go to church on a Sunday morning with his family instead of staying home playing with his toys. Zero interest, zero interaction unless approached, zero smiles, zero effort. I felt terrible for the poor bastard that paid $500 to sit next to him while he scrolled through his phone. At least pay attention to the people speaking on stage. Phaneuf got up on stage, Cuthbert got up on stage, everybody else who was anybody got up on stage...I don't usually approach celebrities at all either but because literally the only reason I was there was because of him I wanted to get a pic. It's not like it was in the middle one of his days off at a private restaurant with family and friends. It was a charity dinner that he was one of the main attractions.  

Nashville got a great player, a great personality, and what appears to me to be an all around great guy.

Here's the thing, Montreal got a great player, too. (I don't know enough yet about Weber's other traits.)

The contract Weber has is ugly. But there are reasons this trade is not as bad as most of us think.

1) Subban relies on mobility. Weber relies on physicality. The former player may show better possession numbers (and Subban certainly does), but also suffers more from aging. You hit your 30's, and a guy like Weber doesn't slow down noticeably. A guy like Subban does. Of course, Subban is 3 years younger, so this is a wash, both players will really start to decline at the same point in their career.

2) Our best player is Carey Price. Our defense corp's job is to protect him. The biggest flaw of our defenders is that they have never done that. This will no longer be the case. Weber will mess up anybody who gets near Carey Price.

3) Weber is a powerplay scoring genius. We have had an anemic powerplay for years. I want to see that change.

4) Weber's stupid contract? If he retires before it's over (which he probably will), the penalty for it goes 100% back to Nashville. And for the time being, it saves us 1.5 million dollars per year on the existing cap.

On Subban - I want to see him score more points than Karlson and despite Weber being effective and helping us win, I want to see Subban embarass the hell out of Bergevin for this trade. We need more personalities like Subban in Hockey. I love the guy.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Nashville got a great player, a great personality, and what appears to me to be an all around great guy.

Here's the thing, Montreal got a great player, too. (I don't know enough yet about Weber's other traits.)

The contract Weber has is ugly. But there are reasons this trade is not as bad as most of us think.

1) Subban relies on mobility. Weber relies on physicality. The former player may show better possession numbers (and Subban certainly does), but also suffers more from aging. You hit your 30's, and a guy like Weber doesn't slow down noticeably. A guy like Subban does. Of course, Subban is 3 years younger, so this is a wash, both players will really start to decline at the same point in their career.

2) Our best player is Carey Price. Our defense corp's job is to protect him. The biggest flaw of our defenders is that they have never done that. This will no longer be the case. Weber will mess up anybody who gets near Carey Price.

3) Weber is a powerplay scoring genius. We have had an anemic powerplay for years. I want to see that change.

4) Weber's stupid contract? If he retires before it's over (which he probably will), the penalty for it goes 100% back to Nashville. And for the time being, it saves us 1.5 million dollars per year on the existing cap.

On Subban - I want to see him score more points than Karlson and despite Weber being effective and helping us win, I want to see Subban embarass the hell out of Bergevin for this trade. We need more personalities like Subban in Hockey. I love the guy.

1) There is no evidence that mobile defencemen suffer more from aging vs physical defencemen.  In fact the opposite is true. Mobile defenders like Nik Lidstrom, Scott Niedermayer, Paul Coffey, Brian Leetch, Brian Rafalski, and others have aged extremely well.  Oh and Subban is already 4 years younger.  Oh and when it comes to possession stats, Weber's used to be the best in the NHL, they have already shown decline defensively but stayed strong offensively. 

2) Protection is overrated, massively. 

3) I think this is more to do with coaching.  Muller and Gallant ran great PPs.  The numbers dropped without them.  I expect it to improve again since Muller is back. 

4) You assume he retires and not declines but keeps playing, which is the risk here.  Not saying it will happen, but that is the risk people are worried about. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

2) Protection is overrated, massively. 

People probably look at protection as making sure nobody touches their goalie. When Backes touched Rinne, Weber was right there and stopped. It ended up being Mike Fisher who went after Backes for it. All Weber did was put someone in a headlock.

Now let me be clear that I think Fisher was wrong to go after Backes since his goalie went right out of the crease to make a dangerous play and I don't think Backes was trying to maliciously attack him. Even if he was, my viewpoint is that referees need to make stricter calls and stop creating an aura of players policing themselves. But if people expect Shea Weber to go after guys for touching Carey, he doesn't really have a reputation for it, and he did nothing to stop the goalie he thought he'd be playing in front of for the rest of his career when he got ran down and injured. 

Honestly, you shouldn't want Weber to be fighting guys for touching Carey anyway. He isn't some great fighter, and you want his mitts to be scoring goals not punching faces. If that's going to be his expected role, he's gonna look like Komisarek in Toronto.

Marinaro, Nilan and 690 crew were going on that Subban was not well liked by teammates, missed curfew numerous times, was late for meetings and practice. Which I had heard a while ago, but thought was just rumours, but they seemed to portray as fact, even though that stuff was never made public, which you think they would of held Subban accountable for at the time? 

If true, Subban really was not truthful in his "I don't know why they would trade me, I did all I could for the team." 

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Marinaro, Nilan and 690 crew were going on that Subban was not well liked by teammates, missed curfew numerous times, was late for meetings and practice. Which I had heard a while ago, but thought was just rumours, but they seemed to portray as fact, even though that stuff was never made public, which you think they would of held Subban accountable for at the time? 

If true, Subban really was not truthful in his "I don't know why they would trade me, I did all I could for the team." 

I have to be honest and say that I do not think Le Genius would put up with that crap. He is very old school and that stuff warrants a suspension. If it was true I would not blame him in the least, for whatever action he took.

I'm not suggesting Weber should fight people who get touchy-feely with Price. I'm suggesting he will clear them out of the crease. If you don't think other team's defensemen do that, look at the treatment Gallagher gets in front of opposing nets. Which is exactly what they should be doing to him.  I'm also not suggesting Gallagher shouldn't get in close, or that other teams shouldn't try to get to Carey Price. I'm suggesting that their job is to go to the net, and our D's job is to clear them out, and make them pay a price for going to the net. None of our guys have done that effectively.

2 hours ago, habs rule said:

I have to be honest and say that I do not think Le Genius would put up with that crap. He is very old school and that stuff warrants a suspension. If it was true I would not blame him in the least, for whatever action he took.

Yes, you would think it would of come up publically one way or other and who knows, maybe it is 1/2 BS and speculation?

17 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

other teams shouldn't try to get to Carey Price. I'm suggesting that their job is to go to the net, and our D's job is to clear them out, and make them pay a price for going to the net. None of our guys have done that effectively.

I think Carr, Lehkonen and Shaw will all do that this year, maybe even Radulov will as well (don't know how he will play)?

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, you would think it would of come up publically one way or other and who knows, maybe it is 1/2 BS and speculation?

Well my idea is most teams would suspend the player just like  Evander Kane and that is hard to keep from the public especially in Montreal. I don't think you could hide the  missed curfews, late for meetings   etc etc. I am not saying it isn't possible but I don't think I believe it. No more than I believe Chelios slept with Ronald Corey's wife though that one is at least funny.