Subban traded to Nashville

dlbalr

14 minutes ago, DON said:

I think Carr, Lehkonen and Shaw will all do that this year, maybe even Radulov will as well (don't know how he will play)?

Maybe they will. But they're not really supposed to be back that far, most of the time. It's Weber, Markov, Beaulieu, Petry, Emelin, Sergechev, and Pateryn that need to be doing that.

18 minutes ago, DON said:

I think Carr, Lehkonen and Shaw will all do that this year, maybe even Radulov will as well (don't know how he will play)?

He's talking on defense. I think Emelin and Pateryn can clear the crease to a certain extent but Weber can help.  

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

He's talking on defense. I think Emelin and Pateryn can clear the crease to a certain extent but Weber can help.  

Ah, I see that now, I was thinking of Hab forwards "going hard to the net"

Weber already invited whole team to his new home to watch ball game, which isn't a big deal in itself and he isn't wearing the 'C' but already showing those tendencies of a leader.

Everyone's fav Pierre McQuire also chimed in on Weber; "He will never...ever be a problem to the team, on or off the ice, on the plane, dressing room..."

45 minutes ago, DON said:

Weber already invited whole team to his new home to watch ball game, which isn't a big deal in itself and he isn't wearing the 'C' but already showing those tendencies of a leader.

Everyone's fav Pierre McQuire also chimed in on Weber; "He will never...ever be a problem to the team, on or off the ice, on the plane, dressing room..."

Your post gives rise in me to the thought that much as I love PK and will always miss that beloved guy, we still have to be good fans to Shea Weber who is one hell of a hockey player and now... a HAB!!! Prepare the LuV BOMBS! :o

6 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

Your post gives rise in me to the thought that much as I love PK and will always miss that beloved guy, we still have to be good fans to Shea Weber who is one hell of a hockey player and now... a HAB!!! Prepare the LuV BOMBS! :o

Yes, the one thing I will never do in regards to this trade is take it out on Weber. Happy to have him with le boys!

7 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Yes, the one thing I will never do in regards to this trade is take it out on Weber. Happy to have him with le boys!

I'm fine with Weber the person/hockey player. He doesn't deserve to be booed or anything. My focus has been completely on Bergevin and Habs management. I'll discuss Weber as a hockey player, his strengths and weaknesses, poke holes in perceived strengths, etc. but if he had come to Montreal any other way I wouldn't have cared. He's not my problem. My problem is that I feel Bergevin never wanted Subban on the team and just lied about it for years. I have zero trust in the current management. Not gonna support the team with this management.

Let me put it this way. Say Montreal traded P.K. Subban for Drew Doughty. I'd still have a problem with Habs management.

43 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'm fine with Weber the person/hockey player. He doesn't deserve to be booed or anything. My focus has been completely on Bergevin and Habs management. I'll discuss Weber as a hockey player, his strengths and weaknesses, poke holes in perceived strengths, etc. but if he had come to Montreal any other way I wouldn't have cared. He's not my problem. My problem is that I feel Bergevin never wanted Subban on the team and just lied about it for years. I have zero trust in the current management. Not gonna support the team with this management.

Let me put it this way. Say Montreal traded P.K. Subban for Drew Doughty. I'd still have a problem with Habs management.

Same place my issue is coming from

I only care about the the team and whether or not this makes us better.  I liked Subban, but if this trade makes us better, the dressing room better and gives us a better chance to win the Cup then I'm all for it.  One can only assume that Bergevin felt this deal needed to be done for whatever reason.  I'll reserve judgement until we see what the team does on the ice.  

One thing we can all agree on is that we needed a change in leadership after last season.  This is definitely a change.  We don't know what PK was like in the room either, maybe the guys hated him and insisted that he be traded.  If that was the case then they better be able to show us that this was a good move by their play on the ice.  Time will tell. 

I will also say, that I can't remember ever being this optimistic going into a new season.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, C-Love said:

I will also say, that I can't remember ever being this optimistic going into a new season.  

Kinda odd when last year you were saying this

I'd like to see MT go. I know a lot of people on here don't think the coach is that important but I think we've had the success we've had despite of him. Which is why you don't see him nominated for the Jack Adams, it's also why the Pens won the Cup after they fired him. I think this team is close, but we need a system change. The biggest loss for us this year was Gerard Gallant. I think if we still had him we would have flown through the first two rounds.

It's a big gamble but I think MB should fire MT and get in on the Babcock sweeps, the risk there is if we don't get him, then we HAVE to find a francophone coach because I believe Babcock is the only Anglo that the franco minority would accept.

And nothing has really changed on that front aside from bringing in Muller. Far be it from me to kill your excitement though!

15 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

And nothing has really changed on that front aside from bringing in Muller. Far be it from me to kill your excitement though!

Don't see why the two statements are even related, he is big on this season dosent mean he cant still dislike Therrien and think the roster is stronger, does it?

• Upvote 1

There is good reason for optimism, just as there was last season. Last year's team was the same basic group that had gone to the semi-finals in '14 and was clearly in the mix for the best in the conference along with TB, NYR, and PITS. I don't agree that the problem last year was 'leadership.' The problem was that after Price got hurt, we had THE worst goaltending in the entire league, that our real leader was out of commission for the entire season, and that management did absolutely zero to address structural roster weaknesses, such as the dearth of top-6 FW talent and the fact that there was only one NHL-calibre goalie in the system. If we'd stayed healthy, I have little doubt we'd have contended. Remember, that team dominated the entire league for the first 20 games before Price went down for good.

One year late, Bergevin finally made credible moves to address the structural problems. He secured a proven back-up and added Shaw and Radulov. If those guys deliver, our FW will be strong. If, in addition to that, either Carr or Lehkonen step up, the FW unit will become downright impressive. And then there's the emergence of Galchenyuk as a legit 30-goal, 60+-point man.

So, how does the Subban trade fit into this? Basically, it was completely unnecessary. The 'leadership' thing? Just more BS. 'Leadership,' despite Bergevin's self-serving nonsense, was not an independent variable in '15-16; no team would have survived the double-whammy of losing its superstar goalie and replacing him with a sieve. (By analogy, the '93 team had tons of leadership; but if Andre Racicot had been its #1 goalie, it would not have made the playoffs). And if Price goes down again, the current team will flounder in the long run too. All that being said, Weber is a lateral move, especially if Beaulieu can make up for the puck-moving skills we lost when we shipped Subban out. So our D is no weaker than last season, overall.

Therefore: comparable D corps; much stronger FW corps; Price in net. All of this equals a team that is, overall, better than the very fine team we started with last season, and therefore the best overall Habs team since perhaps 1996. Optimism is 100% justified.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So, how does the Subban trade fit into this? Basically, it was completely unnecessary. The 'leadership' thing? Just more BS. 'Leadership,' despite Bergevin's self-serving nonsense, was not an independent variable in '15-16; no team would have survived the double-whammy of losing its superstar goalie and replacing him with a sieve. (By analogy, the '93 team had tons of leadership; but if Andre Racicot had been its #1 goalie, it would not have made the playoffs). And if Price goes down again, the current team will flounder in the long run too. All that being said, Weber is a lateral move, especially if Beaulieu can make up for the puck-moving skills we lost when we shipped Subban out. So our D is no weaker than last season, overall.

Therefore: comparable D corps; much stronger FW corps; Price in net. All of this equals a team that is, overall, better than the very fine team we started with last season, and therefore the best overall Habs team since perhaps 1996. Optimism is 100% justified.

How much did it cost you to take out that full-page Montreal Gazette ad?:nuts: 

I respect the guy's passion, that's for sure, and share some of his sentiments.

That said, I guess DON didn't actually read my post above, which is quite optimistic about the 2016-17 Canadiens.

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I still believe MT shouldn't be here.  I think we'd be a lot better without him, however adding Shaw, Radulov and Weber make us significantly better.  I also like that this is the first year we don't have Desharnais in the top 6 which I think makes us better, Plex finally has offensive minded wingers which makes us better, Gally, Chucky and Nate are one year older and should take a step forward which also makes us better.

I will say that a coaching change may be what would put us over the top but we have many pieces falling into place, more so than previous years.  That's all I'm saying.  I am optimistic, despite of MT.

1 hour ago, C-Love said:

I also like that this is the first year we don't have Desharnais in the top 6 which I think makes us better

That was supposed to be last year.

Galchenyuk has trouble scoring, Plekanec has trouble scoring, you can bet on DD finding his way back into the top six one more time.

(One more time because reports are that DD was on the trade block all of last year and Bergevin couldn't get a deal done. Which always makes me suspicious. Would no team take him, or no team would take him for what Bergevin wanted in return? Either way, I doubt DD is going to get re-signed with Bergevin real keen on getting McCarron up on the roster so this should be the final year of David Desharnais, passionate Habs fan and Habs player, crapped on by the fanbase for being too liked by his coach)

5 hours ago, DON said:

How much did it cost you to take out that full-page Montreal Gazette ad?:nuts: 

apparently as per.... 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:
4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I respect the guy's passion, that's for sure, and share some of his sentiments.

That said, I guess DON didn't actually read my post above, which is quite optimistic about the 2016-17 Canadiens.

I was kidding...we all know it was Subban who took out the ad.

24 minutes ago, habs rule said:

I don't think even C/C has that kind of money to throw around, if he does I want a loan.

"Even CC" :lol: Cripes, I'm not even a lawyer like Commandant. Hit HIM up for a loan, for pity's sake

5 hours ago, DON said:

Come on Doctor Cucumber, don't be coy!

Actually, as you can see, it was Doctor CK who took out the ad :blush: I fooled everybody on here. 

• Upvote 1