Subban traded to Nashville

dlbalr

Well, I'm trying to avoid getting bogged down in this thread, where I have taken more than my share of oxygen. But on Subban's defensive game, I've long believed that people err by focusing on the times when he seems to get himself in trouble, while ignoring the much more important fact that he almost always gets himself out of that trouble and more often than not ends up making a good play coming out of it. PK's elite talent allows him to get out of such jams. It's one symptom of the NHL culture of hyper risk-aversion that some people have trouble seeing this. In any case, whether or not he was "always" excellent defensively in terms of the overall picture, he is excellent now.

1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I saw the Panthers on Thursday and I wasn't impressed at all.  Of course, they're without Huberdeau and Bjugstad, so that has to temper expectations.

Their defense is much more mobile and they have Matheson and Ekblad improving as the years go on, but they might have the softest d-corp in the entire league. That defense is going to get crushed on the cycle. I wouldn't say that the d is worse than last, but they're going to chewed up by worse teams like Boston that know how to cycle and hold the puck. The whole team is soft as butter, and some of the guys (Pysyk, Marchessault) are creations of anyaltics. Vinnie Viola made his dough on Wall Street with a 100% analytic based approach with Virtu, so this could be the most purely analytics driven team in NHL history.

I'm very confused in general as to why they practically blew the team and the front office up after their best season in twenty years. I have the Habs ahead of them, and depending on their injury situation (Barkov the Bandaid Boy) they could fall right out of the playoff picture. Pierre said it best on TSN690; the Panthers are going to be a team to watch because they made a lot of decisions over the Summer that fly in the face of accepted orthodoxy.

The Panthers also were the team that over achieved the most relative to their analytics last season.  I see a big drop, kinda like Colorado did in 2014-15 and Calgary did last year. 

PK was his flashy old self last night and the Preds fans loved it. He was asked if the coaching in Nash was different than Montreal he said oh yeah. He will do well in Nash and I wish him the best as long as the lose to the Habs.:gohabsgo:

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats a pretty dickish post....

Dickish is a pretty neat term. I like it.

Hey Donny..you gettin' dickish?

I like that .. I'm going to use it

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, habs rule said:

PK was his flashy old self last night and the Preds fans loved it. He was asked if the coaching in Nash was different than Montreal he said oh yeah. He will do well in Nash and I wish him the best as long as the lose to the Habs.:gohabsgo:

Hahahah...Sobbbb....

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, I'm trying to avoid getting bogged down in this thread, where I have taken more than my share of oxygen. But on Subban's defensive game, I've long believed that people err by focusing on the times when he seems to get himself in trouble, while ignoring the much more important fact that he almost always gets himself out of that trouble and more often than not ends up making a good play coming out of it. PK's elite talent allows him to get out of such jams. It's one symptom of the NHL culture of hyper risk-aversion that some people have trouble seeing this. In any case, whether or not he was "always" excellent defensively in terms of the overall picture, he is excellent now.

Sob....more sobs....:(

1 hour ago, DON said:

hockey30-2016-10-14-a-18.57.41.png

That is awesome...I think I have my new avatar

EDIT: rats, the file is too big to use as an avatar :( Too bad, it would be the gift that keeps on giving.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The Panthers also were the team that over achieved the most relative to their analytics last season.  I see a big drop, kinda like Colorado did in 2014-15 and Calgary did last year. 

Their goaltending is too good for a severe drop, but there will be a drop. 6th-10th place is my prediction.

2 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Their goaltending is too good for a severe drop, but there will be a drop. 6th-10th place is my prediction.

Unless age has finally caught up to him, Luongo is a pretty darn solid goalie.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, habs rule said:

Kind of sums up Nash fans feelings. I don'e see any signs they miss Weber.

You think based on one guy's sign that happened to be posted on the internet that it speaks for all Nashville fans? They all don't give a crap about their heart and soul face of their franchise for the last decade? Cool opinion bro 

That's like saying all Habs fans are thanking Poile for trading us Weber, and we all know how 68 pages of debate in this thread has gone so far

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Judging by the crowd reactions in Nashville, they seem pretty happy with the deal, yes. 

I was in Montreal for a game recently, spoke with lots of locals and also the crowd seemed pretty happy with the deal as well, yes

11 hours ago, illWill said:

I was in Montreal for a game recently, spoke with lots of locals and also the crowd seemed pretty happy with the deal as well, yes

I find it funny that you're doing what you yelled at habs fans for haha.

12 hours ago, illWill said:

You think based on one guy's sign that happened to be posted on the internet that it speaks for all Nashville fans? They all don't give a crap about their heart and soul face of their franchise for the last decade? Cool opinion bro 

That's like saying all Habs fans are thanking Poile for trading us Weber, and we all know how 68 pages of debate in this thread has gone so far

It is a lot more than one sign, it is the crowds of people who come to see PK, it is the editorials etc etc etc. As to the popularity of the move in Montreal I cannot comment, but the fact there are 68 pages of debate should tell you this was not a very popular move in many minds. Some still hate it and some, like my self are just resigned to the fact. I find very few who actually like the move.

Most Habs fans will endure. They will continue watching the team and be happy about the future, whatever the future may be.

Predators fans... are for the most part excited and loving the present of the team. I haven't heard a single fan say they were no longer cheering for the Predators because they traded Shea Weber. If that person exists they likely don't have enough who agree with them to make a party. Even the ones who used to hate Poile have said that since Trotz was fired, they have been fine with close to every decision he has made. They also like their coach. Remember that feeling?

Here's the biggest problem comparing the fanbases. In Montreal, even the most excited Shea Weber fan will tell you that this team is still held back by the head coach. Nashville fans don't feel that way about Lavi.

11 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I miss p.k :(

Yep. I have yet to 'move past' a trade that makes the Habs significantly more boring and less likeable without actually making them a better hockey team. It's as though it's one disappointment too many for me as a Habs fan: if our superstars are not getting permanently compromised by injury (Koivu) then they're getting traded pointlessly out of town (Roy, Subban) but stupid or soulless management.

How are you guys watching all these Preds games, anyway? On the $200 CentreIce package?