Subban traded to Nashville

dlbalr

Exactly, Subban is the modern day NHL D-man. Fast, great first pass, and great with the puck....I'm going to stop right there though, I'm starting to tear up.

The main hope is that Beaulieu is ready to eat big minutes. If he is, then that, coupled with the return of both Petry (a good second-tier puck-mover) and Price's stellar puck-handling skills, may paper over the gaping hole left by Subban's departure and allow the team to take advantage of Weber's strengths without losing too much in those other areas. The problems stupidly created by this imbecilic trade could then be compensated for, at least until Weber's decline really begins to accelerate (in, perhaps, 2-3 years).

Knowing Dumb, though, our top-pairing will probably be Markov-Weber. :rofl:

The "Weber is a bum" is hyperbole.

Weber still has 20 goal potential, still has good ability when it comes to even strength puck possession, and is still a threatening player on the ice.

But Weber also isn't what he used to be, and he'll be less of what he is now sooner than later. A declining asset is still an asset.

The real problem for Weber will come from the fact his style is nothing like Subban's, especially when it comes to his foot speed. It's very possible he works better in Therrien's system because he will be more willing to dump the puck instead of carry it. Neither Shea Weber or Andrei Markov have the footspeed to carry against top lines on the road and Nathan Beaulieu might not be there yet to do it in Markov's stead. That means a complete change in how the puck is carried on the top line. Either Montreal changes their style up to dump the puck or works towards Weber and Markov getting the puck to a faster forward who does the work, which creates an easy situation for opponent's to neutral zone trap the Habs.

That's not even getting into how PK Subban is one of the best shot suppressors in the NHL and Shea Weber has awful numbers for shot suppression in Nashville. Unless Weber changes up his style and can keep shots from coming to Carey Price/Mike Condon/Al Montoya/Pat Jablonski, we're going to have even more time than ever spent in the defensive zone trying to keep pucks from coming at the goalie.

That's not to say this all can't work out for Montreal. Weber playing a dump and chase style, which would satisfy Therrien more, could lead to Montreal changing up their style that works to the team Therrien is trying to coach. Less friction with the coach could lead to a happier lineup. Montreal might go back to focusing more on succeeding on the powerplay, which could lead to a lot of wins (not that Montreal was hurting in that department two years ago) and with Weber/Shaw bringing more physicality to the lineup, maybe some players skate more freely with the puck because of it. But even then, Montreal would have to prove that playing a style of hockey that hasn't succeeded to the Cup much since the lockout is the way to go. Basically, Montreal would be bigger underdogs than ever before. Kinda funny but it's true. They would be trying to prove to the National Hockey League that they were the first team in a very long time to win the Stanley Cup playing dump and chase. Despite Montreal now being a more physical team. If you're fine with that, Shea Weber is just what the doctor ordered. If you were hoping Montreal would trend towards what has worked for most Cup teams, this might not be a good omen.

Looks like you've read my way too long Facebook post the day after the trade.

I agree with everything you just said.

We gave up our best puck mover and didn't get anything close to a puck mover in return.

Hell, Weber doesn't usually touch the puck until he shoots a bomb in the offensive zone.

Exactly, Subban is the modern day NHL D-man. Fast, great first pass, and great with the puck....I'm going to stop right there though, I'm starting to tear up.

The new picture is Rad man

Your all forgetting Therrien doesn't want puck moving dmen. He wants the puck chipped up to the forwards. Weber will happily do that and Therrien will love him cause he's a team player who follows the game plan regardless of how outdated it is

Your all forgetting Therrien doesn't want puck moving dmen. He wants the puck chipped up to the forwards. Weber will happily do that and Therrien will love him cause he's a team player who follows the game plan regardless of how outdated it is

No, I think he just dosent want showboating d-men who try spinaramas and dipsydoodling as the last man back, while the other 4 players on his line stand there not knowing the lone wolf is gonna do next.

Pretty hard to practice or plan for pond hockey type play, so yes am sure Therrien is very excited to work with a real pro.

No, I think he just dosent want showboating d-men who try spinaramas and dipsydoodling as the last man back, while the other 4 players on his line stand there not knowing the lone wolf is gonna do next.

Pretty hard to practice or plan for pond hockey type play, so yes am sure Therrien is very excited to work with a real pro.

Ohhhhh so he doesn't want highly skilled defencemen. Now it makes sense!

Yeah. If you can't make a good pass, don't ever turn back to start a new play.

Dump the puck, turn it over, it's your only option.

Then fight back really hard to get possession again. Like Bryan Flynn.

:rolleyes:

Yeah. If you can't make a good pass, don't ever turn back to start a new play.

Dump the puck, turn it over, it's your only option.

Then fight back really hard to get possession again. Like Bryan Flynn.

:rolleyes:

Yes, this retroactive idea that PK Subban is some kind of liability is just absurd. Some folks will do anything to deny the obvious.

Guest Stogey24

Yost went bonkers after the Subban Weber trade. My favourite was, "I wonder which 40 save game by second intermission is the game Carey Price officially breaks down."

He loves his analytics, that's for sure

Yes, this retroactive idea that PK Subban is some kind of liability is just absurd. Some folks will do anything to deny the obvious.

Some folks have been working real hard to change PK into Marc Andre Bergeron for some reason.

This vendetta and the phony narrative is becoming worse than the anti-therrien vendetta that we've seen in other threads.

Funny, couldn't criticize or poke fun at Subban when he was a Hab and seems he is still a Saint and untouchable entertainment worker to some.

Why are some so uptight? From sound of it, Subban is no model leader/teammate and was sent packing for numerous reasons both on and off the ice.

Guest Stogey24

Don, you know the Subban situation is a touchy one, yet you just can't help yourself but to take a stab at any chance you get.

The against the grain theme is getting old.

Man uses hyperbole to detail how people talk about player before using hyperbole to dismiss player.

The only thing hyperbolic was 'Saint'.

Don, you know the Subban situation is a touchy one, yet you just can't help yourself but to take a stab at any chance you get.

The against the grain theme is getting old.

I really don't care if some are overly 'touchy', if the 'grain' is kinda out to lunch, I am to simply agree or not say anything? He if y'all want to change the subject fine by me, just don't keep bashing Mgmt off-season moves on every thread, no matter what topic it is.

P.S. Do you know how soon Weber will be posting his YouTube summer workout videos?

The Subban trade, being the organization's worst decision since Gomez, understandably raises our collective temperature, but can we PLEASE avoid degenerating into personal pot-sots? I have enough of that a couple of years ago. Play nice!!!