Subban traded to Nashville

dlbalr

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, DON said:

A $9m RH d-man simply isnt a need for this team.

I don't agree for a couple reasons:

The Habs had plenty of cap room, he represents a strong upgrade even if RD isn't a significant need, there are no FA's worth signing and no trade targets that provide equivalent return without giving up a lot.  The question is whether this would have represented the best use of current resources and assets to improve the club.  Frankly, they could have done this and looked to move Weber out in the not too distant future (as he continues to age and his contract becomes an albatross)...and probably looked to move Subban in a couple years as he enters the final year or two of his contract.  We just gained a bunch of value dealing Shaw - that was a good trade...this kind of deal would have been a very similar thing.  We didn't do it so the offer sheets are intriguing tactic.  I give Bergevin props on the Shaw deal, I give him credit for making a run at Aho (even if he wasn't aggressive enough - though they probably match either way).  I think he should make a big offer to Marner - $12.7M a year range...using up cap room on band aids is becoming tiresome.

• Upvote 2