I'll be reconsidering my fandom. And you?

I said consistently for years that if the Habs trade Subban without getting a monster return, I will reconsider my fandom.

Here we are.

Losing is one thing, making mistakes is one thing, but this is a TRANSPARENT and massive mistake that is more than just an error; it's a betrayal, because this move had nothing to do with hockey (it makes no sense in hockey terms) and everything to do with the egos of our idiot-assed coach and our worthless putz of a GM.

I don't know if I have the stomach to watch these mediocrities destroy my team AGAIN because of their egos. Lived through it with Blueberry.

Personally, I plan to take a week or two to think about whether I want to become a fan 'UFA' - possibly following Subban to Nashville, say. A team that actually wants to win.

Anyone else having the same thoughts?

• Upvote 2

I don't know, I'm still in shock. Part of me wants to run and hide and part of me wants to wait until July 1st to see if this off-season can be salvaged.

I said consistently for years that if the Habs trade Subban without getting a monster return, I will reconsider my fandom.

Here we are.

Losing is one thing, making mistakes is one thing, but this is a TRANSPARENT and massive mistake that is more than just an error; it's a betrayal, because this move had nothing to do with hockey (it makes no sense in hockey terms) and everything to do with the egos of our idiot-assed coach and our worthless putz of a GM.

I don't know if I have the stomach to watch these mediocrities destroy my team AGAIN because of their egos. Lived through it with Blueberry.

Personally, I plan to take a week or two to think about whether I want to become a fan 'UFA' - possibly following Subban to Nashville, say. A team that actually wants to win.

Anyone else having the same thoughts?

I'm still hoping it is all a joke.

I'm still hoping it is all a joke.

I moved almost immediately from 'denial' to 'acceptance' - having seen the Habs make colossally idiotic moves before. By 'acceptance' I mean that I accept this abomination to be reality. The issue for me personally is whether I can ever 'accept' it enough to continue cheering for the Habs. Right now, I'm not sure that I can.

I'll probably take a break from being a fan for awhile. I did the same post-Roy trade and it took Theodore's magic season to bring me back.

I dunno... gonna need something drastic to feel good about the Habs again.

• Upvote 1

this move had nothing to do with hockey (it makes no sense in hockey terms) and everything to do with the egos of our idiot-assed coach and our worthless putz of a GM.

That is exactly how this looks to me. Patrick Roy 2.0.

I wish we could hear the truth from players like Pacioretty, Gallagher and Price instead of the constant stream of BS from Bergevin.

I wish the Avs were a more entertaining team, I'd defect. It'd certainly be easier to follow the local team. Wouldn't that be a helluva defection though, following the ol' Nords?

I've followed three sports teams in my life. The Steelers, as a young impressionable kid in the 70s, the Expos, the nearest MLB team, and the Habs. When the Expos left Montreal, I never picked up on another team. The whole point of that is to say I've been loyal, blindly at times, and steadfast in my support of the teams I follow. This trade has really shaken me. Yes, it's a sport. Some folks are saying "take emotion out of it and it's not a bad trade". Sports are emotion. That brief interaction my son had with PK was awesome and cemented his love for PK and the Canadiens. It also cemented PK as my favorite player.

This just sucks.

• Upvote 1

Take emotion out of it, and it's STILL a bad trade. That's what kills me. I would never abandon the Habs just for trading a favourite player. But to actively make the team worse in all sorts of ways, just because of ego, while ALSO trading my favourite player and the only non-goalie superstar in 40 years? Inexcusable.

I'm disgusted, but I know I'm a Habs fan in the end. I'll just pay less attention to hockey this year. Probably be back for the playoffs, but yeah it's taken the wind out of the sails for me. It's just a really tough pill to swallow for the reasons you outlined. Bergevin's enormous ego cost us the best player I've ever watched in this uniform. PK shouldn't be considered a bad apple or pariah - and the rest of the league knows this too. Nashville just gave us their freakin' captain, the most important player in franchise history who they paid 14M per year over the last four years because PK is way more talented.

If anything would make me reconsider my fandom, it's the handicap our organization possesses that put Therrien and Bergevin in charge in the first place. They weren't the best candidates; they were the best available to us. But we don't choose who we grew up cheering for, so we live with what we get.

Take emotion out of it, and it's STILL a bad trade. That's what kills me. I would never abandon the Habs just for trading a favourite player. But to actively make the team worse in all sorts of ways, just because of ego, while ALSO trading my favourite player and the only non-goalie superstar in 40 years? Inexcusable.

And yet, on the part of Habs brass, it was definitely a trade with emotion/ego as the central driver. Agreed on all points, really. They actively made the team worse. Kirk Muller was my favorite player while he was with the Habs. I was devastated when they traded him, but a much different outcome and circumstance. Carbo was my favorite player (I still wear 21) as well. This is more than trading my favorite player. But man, PK. Dude's a special guy.

I know this is not the point of the thread but I don't think this trade gives us any less of a chance of winning the cup next season. Price is still the team. Your reaction was my immediate one for the first time in my life but I also don't think it's a feeling that will last with any true Habs fan. Perhaps your sentiments are the exact opposite.

I haven't been a fan of the way Bergevin has been handling things since the mini Semin ordeal last year. He also traded Fleischmann and Weise which were in effect also correcting "mistakes" he acquired himself.

As much as I would never have done the deal myself, I'm not going to start cheering for Nashville just because they have PK Subban. Trust me when I say I've always been his hugest fan but I've liked the Montreal Canadiens long before he came along.

At this point we need to do more though and get an elite offensive player. Otherwise, while I may say we don't have any less of a chance for next year, we still don't have a great one.

I moved almost immediately from 'denial' to 'acceptance' - having seen the Habs make colossally idiotic moves before. By 'acceptance' I mean that I accept this abomination to be reality. The issue for me personally is whether I can ever 'accept' it enough to continue cheering for the Habs. Right now, I'm not sure that I can.

Well I have been a habs fan for over 50 years, I don't think I know how to be anything else. The summer will end and hockey will start again. We should just wait and see what happens in the fall.

I will never hope for another team.

Everyone seems to be under estimating how good of a defenseman Weber is, shake your heads a bit fellas, Weber is no dud, anymore than Subban is the next coming of Orr.

I'm not saying it's a great return for Subban, in fact I believe we could have gotten more, but I didn't believe we could get a defenseman as good as Weber back but all in all, it's a shake up and culture change, and to be honest, I've never heard a player say "me" or "I" any more than Subban has, so the sky isn't falling on me.

Robots aren't all bad, you know, guys like Crosby, Toews, Gretzky, you know, perennial all-stars, Conn Smythe winners, you know? Subban is and always will be a "look at me" guy. Habs brass din't like his attitude I guess, although, like most Habs fans, I loved the guy in these last few years, Subban has been the #2 bright spot, second only to Price, who really is the best player in the world.

Compare Price's demeanor and Subban's, I take the calm cool, attention deflecting guy who doesn't inspire the other team to beat him by antics that are somewhat less than "team oriented".

Guys like Weber let their play do the talking, and you'll never hear it's not "their job to score goals..."

If you are thinking about cheering for another team, then pick one and join their discussion forums, because this deal is done, and for at least 3-4 years, the Habs aren't any worse, in fact, arguably better, and certainly, beyond a doubt, harder to play against.

The "face" of the team has been changed, and a large percentage of GM's and elite coaches think Weber is more than ok...

Ok, now I'll get my Kevlar gear on, and stand beside my old buddy Don for the stoning :ph34r:

I really hate to think that I might become a playoff Habs fan because of this trade. PK was a big reason I was still watching games (buying Molson Beer) in February. Now I feel like the part of the team that represented my heart is gone. Gally will have a 'bigger' role to play (for me) to see me on this team again. I know that isn't fair, poor guy never takes a shift off and because of MB and MT's (over maxed) ego, if he succeed then he will be GROSSLY underpaid and if he doesn't well I won't blame him but I know there will be ppl out there that will find a way.

Guest Stogey24

I will never hope for another team.

Everyone seems to be under estimating how good of a defenseman Weber is, shake your heads a bit fellas, Weber is no dud, anymore than Subban is the next coming of Orr.

I'm not saying it's a great return for Subban, in fact I believe we could have gotten more, but I didn't believe we could get a defenseman as good as Weber back but all in all, it's a shake up and culture change, and to be honest, I've never heard a player say "me" or "I" any more than Subban has, so the sky isn't falling on me.

Robots aren't all bad, you know, guys like Crosby, Toews, Gretzky, you know, perennial all-stars, Conn Smythe winners, you know? Subban is and always will be a "look at me" guy. Habs brass din't like his attitude I guess, although, like most Habs fans, I loved the guy in these last few years, Subban has been the #2 bright spot, second only to Price, who really is the best player in the world.

Compare Price's demeanor and Subban's, I take the calm cool, attention deflecting guy who doesn't inspire the other team to beat him by antics that are somewhat less than "team oriented".

Guys like Weber let their play do the talking, and you'll never hear it's not "their job to score goals..."

If you are thinking about cheering for another team, then pick one and join their discussion forums, because this deal is done, and for at least 3-4 years, the Habs aren't any worse, in fact, arguably better, and certainly, beyond a doubt, harder to play against.

The "face" of the team has been changed, and a large percentage of GM's and elite coaches think Weber is more than ok...

Ok, now I'll get my Kevlar gear on, and stand beside my old buddy Don for the stoning :ph34r:

It doesn't matter if Weber is good D-man. It's the fact that we traded a player who hasn't even tapped his full potential, for a guy who is about to be over the hill

Weber has some serious west coast miles on his legs and it sounded like even Bergevin admitted that.

Craig button absolutely laid into Habs management on 'that's hockey' saying you can trade P.K, but not for this....

No hockey mind thinks Montreal won this trade and it's a damn shame that the egos of Habs management were the main reason P.K got shipped out.

After years of mediocrity and then the last few years of promise, people are allowed to be upset when management trades one of the most beloved habs for decades. I don't expect anyone here to actually stop being a habs fan in the long run, in fact our reaction shows just how much we actually care about the habs. For now, something that stings like this might take your heart out of it for a bit.

I loved PK and will miss him, but I cannot cheer for another team. I tried that when the expos left Montreal and I have yet to find another bb team to cheer for.

For me this trade only makes sense if (1) we sign a top-6 scorer and (2) if we get to the Stanley cup finals in the next 2-3 years. Anything less will be a failure, Like the Gainey rebuilds

... now, I'll need to find a new avatar/pic :/

PS I enjoyed my time here but expect to be suspended or removed for telling people to ###### off and calling people ######.

Yeah, you could have and should have done without that. People are really mad right now so a little bit of venting is okay. (This was over the top though.) It's okay to be upset but don't make it personal.

I've been a loyal defender of the team for a long time, sticking with them through many questionable trades.

Take the Gomez trade -- I forgave them for that because at the time, no one knew how good McDonagh would turn out, and we were filling a desperate need at center (obviously, no one knew how badly Gomez would spiral). Terrible trade in retrospect, but I could at least respect the intentions. They were trying to make the team better. They took a gamble and lost. It happens.

With this trade, we know how bad it is for us. MB knows, the ownership knows, the media knows, the fans know. They knowingly pulled the trigger on making us a worse team because MT doesn't like Subban. He didn't know how to coach him, which is his responsibility and his short-coming.

It's not just that Subban is loved, is charismatic, exciting to watch. a philanthropist, etc. that made me lose faith in this organization. I understand when hockey trades need to be made for a better on-ice product/long-term stability in the cap era. This is not that. The is the organization showing me that keeping their coach happy is a bigger priority than not only what the fans want, but also than icing the best team possible.

Go Hawks!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, you could have and should have done without that. People are really mad right now so a little bit of venting is okay. (This was over the top though.) It's okay to be upset but don't make it personal.

But apparently threatening Bergevin life it ok? Lol

No hockey mind thinks Montreal won this trade and it's a damn shame that the egos of Habs management were the main reason P.K got shipped out.

The thing that confuses me is that most are saying Nashville won the trade but yet nobody defended the selection of Weber over PK for team Canada. And similarly, people that chirp about how bad Subban is are the same ones that are laughing at the Habs for making the trade. Talk about a polarizing figure in PK Subban. Someone on this board said it best: He is weirdly overrated and underrated at the same time.

That being said, I will never change my loyalty to the CH, no player or manager is bigger than the team. They all come and go but the team will remain