I'll be reconsidering my fandom. And you?

The thing that confuses me is that most are saying Nashville won the trade but yet nobody defended the selection of Weber over PK for team Canada. And similarly, people that chirp about how bad Subban is are the same ones that are laughing at the Habs for making the trade. Talk about a polarizing figure in PK Subban. Someone on this board said it best: He is weirdly overrated and underrated at the same time.

That being said, I will never change my loyalty to the CH, no player or manager is bigger than the team. They all come and go but the team will remain

You don't need offense from the D-men when you have a stacked team like Canada has, Montreal is the farthest thing from stacked offensively so that's why what Subban brought was so needed.

The thing that confuses me is that most are saying Nashville won the trade but yet nobody defended the selection of Weber over PK for team Canada. And similarly, people that chirp about how bad Subban is are the same ones that are laughing at the Habs for making the trade. Talk about a polarizing figure in PK Subban. Someone on this board said it best: He is weirdly overrated and underrated at the same time.

That being said, I will never change my loyalty to the CH, no player or manager is bigger than the team. They all come and go but the team will remain

I'm with you on that too, never going to be a fan of another team before the habs. Still, it's a hard pill to swallow. A lot I going to have to happen this offseason for me to stomach it. It might take some spark to get me back into it for a while

You don't need offense from the D-men when you have a stacked team like Canada has, Montreal is the farthest thing from stacked offensively so that's why what Subban brought was so needed.

Meh, as the days go on I don't want to be the guy who defends the trade because I woke up today and still could not believe it happened but last year Subban: 51 points, Weber: 51 points (10 more games). Maybe you just like the way PK looked while doing it.

What the team REALLY needed was better offensive forwards and a better power play. It's not the biggest or boldest statement in the world to say our pp will be better thanks to Muller and Weber this season.

Not sure why some people think Weber is a defensive dman.

When you see a check or shot block you know it happened and it's easy to track.

Back in the day nobody tracked shot suppression or the time it takes to get a puck out of your zone. People watched Markov bail out Komisarek every shift and people still thought Komisarek was this necessary element to the Habs that had to be kept.

Penguins won a Cup by getting the puck out of their zone as fast as possible. They beat the team that tried to hit them into submission.

Meh, as the days go on I don't want to be the guy who defends the trade because I woke up today and still could not believe it happened but last year Subban: 51 points, Weber: 51 points (10 more games). Maybe you just like the way PK looked while doing it.

What the team REALLY needed was better offensive forwards and a better power play. It's not the biggest or boldest statement in the world to say our pp will be better thanks to Muller and Weber this season.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/6/30/12064258/Pk-subban-shea-weber-trade-montreal-canadiens-nashville-predators-analysis-still-bad

I think that if we do go on cheering for the Habs, we should do so with our eyes open.

The Habs have become the Toronto Maple Leafs. By that I mean: an organization run by people who care more about their egos than about winning. Add that to the normal errors that come from making decisions in complex environments and you have a guaranteed recipe for enduring mediocrity.

When enduring the historic awfulness of the Houle years, I always clung to the hope that eventually he'd be gone and we could turn it around. The Gainey era brought professionalism to the organization, but exceedingly mixed results (not to mention the catastrophic Gomez trade), followed by the comically inept Gauthier interregnum. Now we have Dumb (MT) and Dumber (MB) in charge, a duo who will never win anything because they aren't men enough to put egos aside to work with superior talent.

We have to face the facts. This is not a blip. This is chronic - just as it was for the Leafs all those years. Managers and coaches and even owners come and go, and the mediocrity remains unchanging. The only thing I can figure is that the fact that these organizations are licenses to print money removes the deeper pressure to actually WIN.

So cheering for such a team means doing what my friends who are Leafs fans have done for decades. You do it sardonically, knowing it's a lost cause, knowing the guys in charge are boobs, and that the best you can hope for is some success in spite of the people upstairs.

That's what it's meant to be a Habs fan since 1995, and that's what it will continue to mean for the forseeable future.

Friedman's Thoughts

"As for Montreal, as a nightmare season wound down, one player said, They think were soft, physically and mentally.

They referred to coaches and management. Look whos new in town: Andrew Shaw and Shea Weber, neither of whom is known for a sweet in-game disposition."

Habs got size envy again

Friedman's Thoughts

Habs got size envy again

It'll be fun watching the Pens and Lightning blasting past our slow-footed D-corps knowing hey, We've Got Size.

I find it amusing that Dumber seems to be blaming Subban for the debacle last year. E.g., we didn't have 'leadership' when Price/Gally went down, so that must be PK's fault, because we sure can't ask for accountability from Certified Good Boy and Company Man, captain Max Pacioretty. And we sure can't ask for the coach, i.e., Dumb, not to make excuses and to demand accountability in the room. No sir. We also can't ask why, if 'toughness' was an issue, PK Subban was forbidden from laying people out with those hip-checks he used to employ. No, no, no. PK was too uppity. Why, he even had the nerve to play hardball after Bergevin forced him to take a bridge deal. We can't have that. It must be all his fault.

• Upvote 1

It'll be fun watching the Pens and Lightning blasting past our slow-footed D-corps knowing hey, We've Got Size.

I find it amusing that Dumber seems to be blaming Subban for the debacle last year. E.g., we didn't have 'leadership' when Price/Gally went down, so that must be PK's fault, because we sure can't ask for accountability from Certified Good Boy and Company Man, captain Max Pacioretty. And we sure can't ask for the coach, i.e., Dumb, not to make excuses and to demand accountability in the room. No sir. We also can't ask why, if 'toughness' was an issue, PK Subban was forbidden from laying people out with those hip-checks he used to employ. No, no, no. PK was too uppity. Why, he even had the nerve to play hardball after Bergevin forced him to take a bridge deal. We can't have that. It must be all his fault.

IMO, Subban made one big mistake this past year - and that's a maturity issue. He is too open with the media and often says the first thing that comes to his mind - which is refereshing, but as a leader you need to think about what you say and how your teammates will interpret it. He really messed up bad by saying "It's not my job to score goals".

Is that a comment he should be shipped out of town for -no friggin way.

Mgmt on the other hand - made NUMEROUS blunders that led to this debacle of a year. THey of course are not held accountable. I said it before and I'll say it again. Under the friggin Molson's we traded Chelios for the French guy. Carboneau for giving the media the bird. Roy for having the audacity of showing up a POS coach and now Subban for not being a good uncle tom, instead of an uppity black man who dared to speak his mind and express himself.

I can't start cheering for someone else.

That said, there will be no trip to montreal to catch 3-4 games this year. Not happening.

Oh and there will be no Molson in my fridge.

You gone kooky also?? Is just a trade.

You gone kooky also?? Is just a trade.

well that is what the doctor told me :cry_smile: but then I went to see a friend of mine and he said: 'I still got some PK no worries man!' :monkey:

I'm feeling better about the Habs today :blush: but not about the trade :scared: maybe my friend still has some PK and by the time season starts well I will have 'forgotten' in my brain we had this really awesome D who whore 76 and it will be replaced by this really awesome D who wears 6. Would probably be a good thing this PK gets me to Nashville on a cloud of smoke and it feels like :bonk::rofl:

OP says it all. "I've been saying for years if club trades PK...". That's because he's been "on the block" ever since he arrived. There are reasons for that. I'm happy to see the last of him, and would be happy to hear the last of him. Fat chance.

Weber is a great defenseman and a great guy. What is everyone whining about? Team Canada staff aren't going to put an inferior player on their top line while sitting a superior player on the bench. They were reluctant to even include Subban on the team, and only did it for political correctness optics.

A bunch of fans who only see the surface may be disappointed but the coaching staff and players on Canadiens are high fiving each other. Without even having a had a chance to see what Shea brings. It's a healthier happier and better team without Subban and his ego.

• Upvote 1

OP says it all. "I've been saying for years if club trades PK...". That's because he's been "on the block" ever since he arrived. There are reasons for that. I'm happy to see the last of him, and would be happy to hear the last of him. Fat chance.

Weber is a great defenseman and a great guy. What is everyone whining about? Team Canada staff aren't going to put an inferior player on their top line while sitting a superior player on the bench. They were reluctant to even include Subban on the team, and only did it for political correctness optics.

A bunch of fans who only see the surface may be disappointed but the coaching staff and players on Canadiens are high fiving each other. Without even having a had a chance to see what Shea brings. It's a healthier happier and better team without Subban and his ego.

Before you get torn apart by the lions, I think you have the reasoning of management down pat, right or wrong, that's what happened...

Before you get torn apart by the lions, I think you have the reasoning of management down pat, right or wrong, that's what happened...

I was gona say something but then you called me a lion, it's like you rubbed my belly and scratched my ear at the same time :blush::rofl:

• Upvote 1

I think that's a big part of it to me. Do I want to continue supporting old school hockey? Do I want to continue supporting what that represents? Do I want to see that cycle of "quiet guys who will try to kill you in cold blood if you make them feel bad" continue to be supported by my sports team?

I don't.

I think that's a big part of it to me. Do I want to continue supporting old school hockey? Do I want to continue supporting what that represents? Do I want to see that cycle of "quiet guys who will try to kill you in cold blood if you make them feel bad" continue to be supported by my sports team?

I don't.

to be honest MoLG;

I get why this seems like an 'old school' type 'hockey move'. It seems (to me) that MB is trying to build a team of genetically modified smurfs. PLEASE don't get me wrong here, I don't mind 'smurfs' on the Team. I myself am tall for a girl but am not a girl (yes, I have also been told I play like Pleky in the playoffs on ice but not with boots yet :) ).

Thing is the 'smurf' with glasses didn't work that well (Darche, Parros and I forget the other who was an ogre smurf too, kinda, maybe not, I forget :blush: ).

Tiny smurfs (list is long) were fun to watch at times util they would get hurt but that happens to beasts too, just not the same for some reason.

So if MB wants to build a team of grumpy genetically modified smurfs coached by ... (insert as you please, I will say nothing as it isn't kind) ... then I guess this could be why some fans go bananas from the PK trade, reconsider fandome and go thinking that we have built a team of genetically modified smurfs and this is why it's not an old school hockey move but a real hockey trade. Remains to be seen if they are the grumpy types that will bring THE cup back home.

I am seriously trying to make sense of this team. I understand MB wants this team to be 'tougher' to play against. But for me PK was walking pride for the Team. Sure he was flashy and mouthy and whatever ppl want to say but if I was him I wouldn't behave any different. OK FINE, I would be MORE greedy witt the money I have, and WAY LESS generous with my time to others outside Team responsibilities. BUT everything else would be the EXACT same :)

well that is what the doctor told me :cry_smile: but then I went to see a friend of mine and he said: 'I still got some PK no worries man!' :monkey:

I'm feeling better about the Habs today :blush: but not about the trade :scared: maybe my friend still has some PK and by the time season starts well I will have 'forgotten' in my brain we had this really awesome D who whore 76 and it will be replaced by this really awesome D who wears 6. Would probably be a good thing this PK gets me to Nashville on a cloud of smoke and it feels like :bonk::rofl:

:tumbleweed:

• Upvote 1

I'm going to support the Habs, no matter what, always have, always will.

They are my team, and they will be as long as I live and breathe.

I don't have a problem with "old school" hockey, I don't have a problem with having a great defenseman like Shea Weber, I don't have a problem with accepting that this is the way management chose to deal with whatever problem they had with PK, and I certainly don't have a problem with trying to win the cup, by whatever school.

It's obvious that PK was a problem with his team mates, if you didn't notice it during the melt down of '16, then I suggest you drill holes in your blinders.

Subban inspired the opposition more than his team mates, and was as much interested in himself as the star of the show, than the team being a team, oblivious to see otherwise.

I liked/like him, think he is great for hockey, but I can see why management did this, and like Illwill said "it's not like we got dog shit back".

All you Hab fans know very well that show boating, diving and idiotic selfish giveaways, brand manufacturing and public grand standing was never going to be accepted by the management team in Montreal, so stop crying about it, change teams, or root for the Habs, but stop making ridiculous statements like Weber is no where near the defenseman that Subban is, because that is simply not true.

Analytics bullshit, can't deny that Weber has been, and still is a force in this league, and I'm sure we will get a VERY INSPIRED Weber, and personally I can't wait to see him in a Habs jersey.

• Upvote 2

By all means, you 'Leafs'-style fans keep kidding yourselves that we improved the team by this deal, and keep cheering a management group that made the team worse. No question, we got a Good Boy who won't rock management's boat...and who makes impeccable, team-oriented decisions like getting suspended in a playoff series for wonderful, character plays like this:

Good Canadian Boy. Not like Subban.

As for me, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll probably still follow the Habs, just in a joyless, belief-less, and sardonic way, much like the approach taken by the smarter class of Leafs' fan since the Ballard era. And I'll adopt Nashville as my co-favourite team, a team that actually seems to like hockey and prioritize winning rather than Being a Good Boy.

By all means, you 'Leafs'-style fans keep kidding yourselves that we improved the team by this deal, and keep cheering a management group that made the team worse. No question, we got a Good Boy who won't rock management's boat...and who makes impeccable, team-oriented decisions like getting suspended in a playoff series for wonderful, character plays like this:

Good Canadian Boy. Not like Subban.

As for me, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll probably still follow the Habs, just in a joyless, belief-less, and sardonic way, much like the approach taken by the smarter class of Leafs' fan since the Ballard era. And I'll adopt Nashville as my co-favourite team, a team that actually seems to like hockey and prioritize winning rather than Being a Good Boy.

I call BS, you will be cheering on Radulov, Weber, Galchenyuk, Gallagher once the friggin season finally starts in mid-Oct! You know you will.

GHG

• Upvote 1

I call BS, you will be cheering on Radulov, Weber, Galchenyuk, Gallagher once the friggin season finally starts in mid-Oct! You know you will.

GHG

Actually, I expect the Habs to have a strong season. Price is back. I'd expect a top-10 finish overall, possibly top-5.

And if the Habs win the Cup with Weber, then hey, I happily recant everything I've said here.

Not holding my breath. Speed and possession kill in today's NHL. I'd anticipate TB and PIT making mince-meat out of a D that was already vulnerable to an aggressive forecheck, over a long playoff series.

I'm going to support the Habs, no matter what, always have, always will.

They are my team, and they will be as long as I live and breathe.

I don't have a problem with "old school" hockey, I don't have a problem with having a great defenseman like Shea Weber, I don't have a problem with accepting that this is the way management chose to deal with whatever problem they had with PK, and I certainly don't have a problem with trying to win the cup, by whatever school.

It's obvious that PK was a problem with his team mates, if you didn't notice it during the melt down of '16, then I suggest you drill holes in your blinders.

Subban inspired the opposition more than his team mates, and was as much interested in himself as the star of the show, than the team being a team, oblivious to see otherwise.

I liked/like him, think he is great for hockey, but I can see why management did this, and like Illwill said "it's not like we got dog shit back".

All you Hab fans know very well that show boating, diving and idiotic selfish giveaways, brand manufacturing and public grand standing was never going to be accepted by the management team in Montreal, so stop crying about it, change teams, or root for the Habs, but stop making ridiculous statements like Weber is no where near the defenseman that Subban is, because that is simply not true.

Analytics bullshit, can't deny that Weber has been, and still is a force in this league, and I'm sure we will get a VERY INSPIRED Weber, and personally I can't wait to see him in a Habs jersey.

Initial anger aside, I agree with most that you say, except the italic bold part. I think if 'this riff' is due to just that mostly.

The perception some fans may have in regards to how PK was treated in the 6 years here by the Team. But PK's father said it best: Hockey gods have been kind to us'. (http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201606/30/01-4996786-karl-subban-pk-peut-encore-accomplir-beaucoup.php)

All this will pass by the time puck drops 'fe real' and true fans will follow.

I am a fan of the Habs since I watched my first game with my great uncle (rest his soul) many many many years ago. This Team has given me some of my Happiest memories and some of the most painful ones, none as bad as seeing another team hoist The Cup on Forum ice. So this will pass just as seeing Flower in Rags and true sadness I felt for Big Bird Larry as he lost, mind you that was a pinch in time but you get what I'm saying, yeah?