2016 IceCaps Offseason Thread

dlbalr

We've seen a bunch of turnover already for St. John's so here's a breakdown of the comings and goings for next year's squad.

New Arrivals

F Daniel Audette (Sherbrooke, QMJHL - full contract instead of ATO)

D Jeremie Blain (Brampton, ECHL)

LW David Broll (Syracuse, AHL)

F Mathieu Coderre-Gagnon (Tulsa, ECHL)

F Bobby Farnham (New Jersey, NHL)*

G Charlie Lindgren (St. Cloud, NCAA)

F Stefan Matteau (Montreal, NHL)*

D Tom Parisi (Providence, NCAA - full contract instead of ATO)

D Philip Samuelsson (Springfield, AHL)*

D Jonathan Racine (Portland, AHL)

F Martin Reway (Fribourg, NLA)
F Chris Terry (Carolina, NHL)*

F Yannick Veilleux (Chicago, AHL)

* - (Player must clear waivers to make it to the AHL)

Confirmed Departures

D Victor Bartley (Minnesota)
D Mac Bennett (Rochester, AHL)

LW Tim Bozon (Florida)

F Michael Bournival (Tampa Bay)

D Darren Dietz (Washington)
F Gabriel Dumont (Tampa Bay)

D Morgan Ellis (St. Louis)

F Bud Holloway (CSKA Moscow, KHL)

F Lucas Lessio (PTO with Los Angeles)

F Brandon McNally (Utah, ECHL)

F Angelo Miceli (Greenville, ECHL)

G Eddie Pasquale (Detroit)

F Alexandre Ranger (Norfolk, ECHL)

G Ben Scrivens (Dynamo Minsk, KHL)

F Cory Ward (Manchester, ECHL)

Depth Chart

Hudon - McCarron - Terry

Friberg - de la Rose - Scherbak

Matteau - MacMillan - Gregoire

Audette - Eisenschmid - Farnham

Scratches: Crisp, Broll, Veilleux, Coderre-Gagnon

Injured: Reway (illness)

Barberio - Johnston

Hanley - Lernout

Samuelsson - Parisi

Scratches: Racine, Didier, Thrower, Blain

Lindgren

Fucale

Notable AHL Rule Changes

- Any player who incurs 10 fighting penalties on the season will be suspended for one game (excluding those where the player was instigated upon). The player will also be suspended one game for the 11th, 12th, and 13th fighting major. At #14 and subsequent fights, it's an automatic two game suspension.

- Any player who fights before or immediately after a faceoff will receive an automatic game misconduct.

- Teams will not be permitted to call a time out after icing the puck.

Is there any reasoning at all behind letting Ellis walk?

I'm guessing they've figured that he wasn't going to be more than an AHL guy and decided to let him try his luck elsewhere. Same with Dietz. Then they can pick their own replacements to see if any of them pan out (it sounds like they're quite high on Samuelsson).

Not sure if this was answered somewhere else so I apologize for the repetition, will Lehkonen play for the IceCaps in 2017?

Not by the sounds of it. He has a clause in his contract that allows him to return to Sweden if he doesn't make the NHL roster. (He is under contract in the SHL for 2016-17 already).

St. John's signed D Jeremie Blain to a one year deal today. That's not the extra D addition I was hoping for.

I hope Hudon makes the big club this season and Matteau is his replacement in St-Johns.

Matteau does have to go through waivers but there's a decent chance they'll try to run him through - either if a youngster makes or they add another forward in free agency (or off a training camp PTO like Fleischmann).

It's July 12th and the dog days of summer have truly arrived - I just penned 800 words on allocating minutes for St. John's goalies for next season (it'll be on the site tomorrow). It's already come to this for filler material...and there's still nearly three weeks until we can launch the Fantasy Focus series.

• Upvote 1

It's July 12th and the dog days of summer have truly arrived - I just penned 800 words on allocating minutes for St. John's goalies for next season (it'll be on the site tomorrow). It's already come to this for filler material...and there's still nearly three weeks until we can launch the Fantasy Focus series.

Thanks for all the effort :clap: .

• Upvote 1

I never thought I'd see it... is this the summer dlbalr starts shitposting articles? I can't wait for the last week of July for "Does Bergevin spend too much time suit-shopping instead of making trades?" & "Who's left in free agency that could help the Icecaps 4th line?"

• Upvote 2

I never thought I'd see it... is this the summer dlbalr starts shitposting articles? I can't wait for the last week of July for "Does Bergevin spend too much time suit-shopping instead of making trades?" & "Who's left in free agency that could help the Icecaps 4th line?"

July's always a bad month for content so there's a lot of minor league stuff. I've actually done stuff on free agent options for minor league contracts in the past so it wouldn't be shocking if that pops up again in some form.

Here's the goalie article: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/07/st-johns-potential-goalie-logjam/

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that was interested in just how many players the Habs had up from the NHL, a total of 20 different players suited up for St. John's and the Habs last season, totalling 349 games played. They had the second most players (to Toronto) and sat fourth in total NHL GP (behind Edmonton, Toronto, and Nashville).

The full breakdown in picture form: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoOpftNWcAAeQxn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lehkonen is NHL or SHL while Andrighetto likely wouldn't clear waivers.

you and your facts!

I would of thought Lehkonen would be fine with a short stint in AHL, for an adjustment period of sorts, like de la Rose did.

I would of thought Lehkonen would be fine with a short stint in AHL, for an adjustment period of sorts, like de la Rose did.

It's not a matter of him not wanting to go there, it's a contract thing because he's signed in the SHL for this season. That's the deal they worked out with Frolunda.

Really want to see Lehkonen in the NHL

Yup, we all want him to be a Saku-like impact forward and his last year SHL playoffs was darn impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

The schedule is out: http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=season&team_id=387&season_id=54&home_away=&division_id=

They've got a rough 10-game road trip from mid-December to early January plus four six game trips. The six gamers are to be expected but ten is a bit much. On the flip side, they have a trio of 8-game home stands plus a six gamer. 10 of the last 14 games are at home which could be useful if they're fighting for a playoff spot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alex Ranger won't be back, he signed a one year deal back in the ECHL with Norfolk. Although I didn't think he played that well last season, I thought he'd get a look at the development/rookie camps this year since the team had been keeping tabs on him for a couple of years.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic