Habs to move their AHL affiliate to Laval

dlbalr

It's been widely expected for a few years now but the Habs made it official today that they will relocate their AHL team to Laval starting in 2017-18. They'll stay in St. John's for the upcoming season.

http://www.habsworld.net/2016/07/habs-to-move-their-ahl-affiliate-to-laval/

Apparently it was noted during the press conference that the fans will have some say in a team name. Considering the current pulse of the fan base, the Laval Subbans has to be considered an early popular choice.

• Upvote 1

It's been widely expected for a few years now but the Habs made it official today that they will relocate their AHL team to Laval starting in 2017-18. They'll stay in St. John's for the upcoming season.

http://www.habsworld.net/2016/07/habs-to-move-their-ahl-affiliate-to-laval/

Apparently it was noted during the press conference that the fans will have some say in a team name. Considering the current pulse of the fan base, the Laval Subbans has to be considered an early popular choice.

Haha seeing that name on the suggestions would definitely irk Bergevin.

I saw someone suggest a name of the Maroons or Wanderers. Though I really like that idea of playing off that history I don't think that would fly in Laval as both those teams were created for the English speaking residents of Montreal.

Though St. John's knew of this from the beginning, I still feel bad for them. Hopefully they can find someone else to play in their arena.

It's the same as calling them the Subbans.

The name the team contest is open but is restricted to Quebec residents only (it's nice to know how important out-of-province fans are): http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=113494&navid=DL|MTL|home

Such a Quebec move doing that

Blame the provincial/federal rules for contests.

Two pairs of season tickets to be given to the "winners".

That's why.

Sportsnet, an "out of Quebec based" business would not give away their playoffs pool prizes in Qc.

Well Quebec based business Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club will not give away theirs outside of Qc.

Take that !! :D

The best thing about this is they won't get culture shock when they get called up to the Habs.... they also will be able to take advantage of all the facilities in Brossard, which are better than anything in the AHL.

The best thing about this is they won't get culture shock when they get called up to the Habs.... they also will be able to take advantage of all the facilities in Brossard, which are better than anything in the AHL.

As much as I will miss seeing the Habs prospects in St. Johns, it is unquestionably better for the prospects and organization. I'm sad, but glad development-wise.

I can't see any improvement in development until they get rid of Lefebve.

As much as I will miss seeing the Habs prospects in St. Johns, it is unquestionably better for the prospects and organization. I'm sad, but glad development-wise.

I can't see any improvement in development until they get rid of Lefebve.

While I agree that Lefebvre needs to go, there's still the potential for better development with the move. The player development coaches will be able to be around more often, someone like Waite will be able to go work with the goalies (I don't think there's many here who could name St. John's goalie coaches...yes, there are two of them), and management will be able to make their own evaluations on players when it comes to call-ups instead of Bergevin calling Lefebvre and asking who's most deserving (which is what they've been doing). Those are all positives regardless of who the head coach is.

While I agree that Lefebvre needs to go, there's still the potential for better development with the move. The player development coaches will be able to be around more often, someone like Waite will be able to go work with the goalies (I don't think there's many here who could name St. John's goalie coaches...yes, there are two of them), and management will be able to make their own evaluations on players when it comes to call-ups instead of Bergevin calling Lefebvre and asking who's most deserving (which is what they've been doing). Those are all positives regardless of who the head coach is.

Yes certainly all that, not to mention much easier player-movement. I mean I don't expect the player to be flip-flopping around, but it won't have the life-altering change as a move from St. John's would.

Farm team has bounced around forever, I remember team was in Halifax, Fredericton, Sherbrooke, Hamilton and who knows where else. Maybe will work better being close now, but likely not a big deal as far as which player will actually make the NHL or not.

Farm team has bounced around forever, I remember team was in Halifax, Fredericton, Sherbrooke, Hamilton and who knows where else. Maybe will work better being close now, but likely not a big deal as far as which player will actually make the NHL or not.

You should read the link in the first post. I listed the AHL affiliates over the last 50 years in there. :)

You should read the link in the first post. I listed the AHL affiliates over the last 50 years in there. :)

Wasn't too excited team was moving, seems to happen often, so wasn't real 'interested', but now am curious so gotta read it.

Thanks.

Exciting news! I will definitely drive to Laval to watch a few games and see "the Habs of the future".

Such a Quebec move doing that

If you run a contest in Quebec, the winner has to be from Quebec. It's the law.

Exciting news! I will definitely drive to Laval to watch a few games and see "the Habs of the future".

If you run a contest in Quebec, the winner has to be from Quebec. It's the law.

Sounds about right for Quebec, stuck in the 19th century.

Brian - does this move to Laval mean I'll get to see the Habs AHL team in Cleveland again??

Brian - does this move to Laval mean I'll get to see the Habs AHL team in Cleveland again??

Odds being odds, they won't change divisions (they're already in with Toronto and the New York-based teams which will still make the most sense with a Laval-based squad). There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to scheduling though, it's not as if there's a rule saying one division plays another x amount of times and doesn't play anyone from another division every season. It changes every year so there's a chance the Laval team will play there at some point (I wouldn't get my hopes on a regular appearance though).

• 2 weeks later...

How about the Laval "Charles de Konincks".. extraordinary Canadian philosopher of science at Laval!!

Go de Koninckers Go!!

They're down to a shortlist of 12 team names now:

The Laval 66

The Laval Alpha

The Laval As

The Laval Blizzard

The Laval Cosmos

The Laval Lynx

The Laval Metros (Mets)

The Laval Patriots

The Laval Rapids

The Laval Rocket

The Laval Saints

The Laval Titan

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=113494&navid=DL|MTL|home

Some pretty crappy names there.

Why not Les Laval Quebecois? They have the Rochester Americans.