Habs reportedly give Timmins an extension

dlbalr

1 hour ago, DON said:

No, but he is struggling big time for sure and comparing him to a fellow who didn't, is a stretch. Will be a 'fairer' playing field at world juniors, for sure.

Come one man what do you expect, Auston Matthews playing in the swiss league at 18 type results? Ikonen is going to go through the typical growing and developing pains as an 18 year old transitioning into a men's pro league. Why not compare him to his peers as a class during the WJC, his summer in that department was very good, I am almost positive he will be very good again come December, that is what will truly matter. His progression in the pro league until he is 20 will also be what counts, not how he didn't dominate a men's league during his first 20 games.

I remember what I saw from this kid during the summer tournament, and he was flat out sensational in some games, looked every bit the type of player who could be a solid NHLer in the not so distant future.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

I know my record on recollection has been spotty, but I am almost positive that Lehkonen also went through a stretch of poor stats while playing against men as a teen. 

Same age same team same league  at 18 Lehkonen 7g 20pts in 33gms; but in his 17 yr old season same team same league he had 14g 30pts in 45gms.

So, safe to say Ikonen is not even in same ballpark as Lehkonen was, which is my main point.

I have heard Timmins say the exact same about several Scandinavians, who never panned out. 

(Lehkonen had mono one year I think?)

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I know my record on recollection has been spotty, but I am almost positive that Lehkonen also went through a stretch of poor stats while playing against men as a teen. 

Not as bad as Ikonen, but he did struggle as a 20 year old in the SHL. 

He had better stats than Ikonen at the same age in Liiga. 

But regardless, prospects develop at different rates.  Lehkonen took off at 22.  Ikonen has time.