Montreal signs Bobby Farnham

dlbalr

Mitchell, I think his ice time and stats were inflated by injuries.

Injuries had nothing to do with his stats. Au contraire. He did better when the team was healthy. I had him in fantasy at the beginning of the year. 5 goals and 8 points in October.

I'd agree. He's not an NHL calibre player, not even remotely close to one. His best skill is running around trying to cheap shot people (he's not even a great fighter). He's a minor league goon that can somewhat hold his own on a fourth line in games where it's likely to be chippy.

Yeah, so I watched these fights and my Farnham fandom came to an end. I can see why they like him, he's small and he loses fights, but that's half of the roster already!

Injuries had nothing to do with his stats. Au contraire. He did better when the team was healthy. I had him in fantasy at the beginning of the year. 5 goals and 8 points in October.

I honestly think better players than him are signing overseas.

"for a guy getting concussed cause he got hit, a fighter doesn't stop that from happening. All he does is fight after the fact, which doesn't fix Nate's concussion. " - statement makes no sense, an earlier poster had a valid point and the rebuttal is wrong, just trying to make the situation fit the argument.

N8 got laid out fighting Foligno, sticking up for Fleishman. So having an enforcer would definitely have helped as N8 would be told that it is not his job and to stick with playing hockey. He was concussed getting one-punched in a fight he initiated.

Watch the clip of N8 being embarrassed on home ice. Typical of the season and he hasn't been the same since.

I've said it, and probably will have to say it again, that fighting is a part of the game, and you have guys who do it and take care of the fights, or you have guys that don't do it and get hurt humiliated sticking up for their teammates.

There are also guys like Tinordi who will fight to try to make teams without fighters even when they're not suited for it.

An Ivy League goon. Beauty :hyper: This guy should be very interesting and funny if nothing else. Who names their kid Bobby these days?

edit - Yup I was right. Bobby is born into the DeMoulas family owners of a supermarket chain for starters. Then he went to Ivy League school and was All Academic for his four years at Brown. So not only does he start out richer and smarter than pretty well every NHL player, he is one of the smaller ones at 5-10, 185 pounds.

All those 6-6 270 pound hulks who dropped out of high school in a small mining town in northern Canada to try to make it as a hockey goon are asking "WTF?" :wall:

You're thinking of Chris Kreider from Boxford.

None of the Demoulas kids are born acting like they have silver spoons in their mouths. I worked there twice in high school and most of the managers and lifers started in high school. They pay everybody time and a half on Sunday and give their employees a pension plan. Some of these guys retire with a million dollars from working at a grocery store. When the economy was bad they lowered their prices 4% for no other reason than to help.

A few years ago, their CEO Arthur "Artie T" Demoulas was fired by his cousin Arthur S Demoulas and greedy family members that tried to install co-CEOs, cut pensions and wages and raise prices. Their employees went on strike and communities boycotted until he was rehired, a remarkable story that now I think was a harbinger of the populism were seeing in the American election.

The Demoulas' have the values that can Make America Great Again.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_Basket_protests

You're thinking of Chris Kreider from Boxford.

None of the Demoulas kids are born acting like they have silver spoons in their mouths. I worked there twice in high school and most of the managers and lifers started in high school. They pay everybody time and a half on Sunday and give their employees a pension plan. Some of these guys retire with a million dollars from working at a grocery store. When the economy was bad they lowered their prices 4% for no other reason than to help.

A few years ago, their CEO Arthur "Artie T" Demoulas was fired by his cousin Arthur S Demoulas and greedy family members that tried to install co-CEOs, cut pensions and wages and raise prices. Their employees went on strike and communities boycotted until he was rehired, a remarkable story that now I think was a harbinger of the populism were seeing in the American election.

The Demoulas' have the values that can Make America Great Again.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_Basket_protests

I feel happy reading this. I wish more people are like this. We have rules like that in sweden already from our union. I work in a foodstore and we get double pay from saturday at noon and the full sunday here in sweden and if we are members of the union we also have full insurance including homeinsurance and travelinsurance. I am proud of what our former politicians have done here in Sweden. I just hope that the current bozoes doesnt ruing all.

I feel happy reading this. I wish more people are like this. We have rules like that in sweden already from our union. I work in a foodstore and we get double pay from saturday at noon and the full sunday here in sweden and if we are members of the union we also have full insurance including homeinsurance and travelinsurance. I am proud of what our former politicians have done here in Sweden. I just hope that the current bozoes doesnt ruing all.

Sorry do not mean to offend but as a small business owner, unions are a scourge. Only the lowest of the low need them. They are there to protect the untalented bozo's. Just my opinion .

They're able to do that because their supermarket trounced the competition, but it's refreshing to see business owners share some of their success with the employees, who reward them with their loyalty.

Sorry do not mean to offend but as a small business owner, unions are a scourge. Only the lowest of the low need them. They are there to protect the untalented bozo's. Just my opinion .

Probably a topic for another thread, but the scandanavian economic model has created a lifestyle that crushed the rest of the civilized world in quality of life and greatest places to live. The fact that a grocery store worker can raise a family is a good thing. This tells me that people with lower intellect or oportunity in life can still enjoy life. Try that in canada on a supermarket income

The problem is the enforcer has to be on the ice at the same time as the hit. Or it doesnt work.

We ve seen this before with laraque and with parros. Not much you can do from the bench cause a guy like foligno wont foght him next shift. Instead farnham will fight david clarkson and we will say way to protect the teammate bobby.

None of this prevents the hit on fleischmann though... or the fight between beaulieu and foligno who are both on the ice when it happens.

Guest Stogey24

Beaulieu wasnt on the ice. He got the tap on the bench literally right after the hit happened and went after foligno

I used to be all about the enforcer and what not. I do still agree to an extent that you need a couple guys that can throw, but it's becoming a thing of the past. I hate watching a guy get the shit kicked out of him too.

If he ain't mucking it up in the AHL this should be good proof that Bergevin lost the script.

I don't need anymore proof.

Beaulieu wasnt on the ice. He got the tap on the bench literally right after the hit happened and went after foligno

I used to be all about the enforcer and what not. I do still agree to an extent that you need a couple guys that can throw, but it's becoming a thing of the past. I hate watching a guy get the shit kicked out of him too.

IDK I think I could watch Chara or Lucic get their guts kicked out all day long.

What players like Farnham do, as much as anything, is push their teammates to be better. They are vital in training camps and rookie camps to set the tone, and set an example. A coach yelling at players isn't going to make them work harder, but seeing a teammate throw himself around the ice does. Also they know if they're dogging the guy is going to lay them out as an example. There is always room and necessity for the Farnhams and Shaws of the game.

Bleep the stats and the dweebs that live with them.

Bleep the stats and the dweebs that live with them.

Yeah, who could possibly need stats?

No article covered the changing of the game quite like this one a month ago.

By every traditional measure, Pittsburgh's lineup was "soft." It didn't matter. All the hitting and grinding and punching the Rangers, Capitals, and Sharks attempted to throw at the Penguins was futile. For the Penguins, "energy" and "hard to play against" meant quick skating, a stubborn refusal to relinquish control of the puck, and a number of contributions on the scoresheet. They didn't "set a tone" by hitting and fighting. They did so by cycling the puck for long shifts from the very start and putting a tired opposition on its heels. It's not that Sidney Crosby, Phil Kessel, and Evgeni Malkin changed from 2012 until now. It's that the likes of Carl Hagelin, Nick Bonino, Bryan Rust, and Tom Kuhnhackl finally provided them a supporting cast.

You can't argue analytics. Until it makes sense to argue analytics. We've all seen cases of posession monster type players who just arent very good. Of course it's an anomaly and normally the stats support the theory, but stats need to be part of player evaluations. They can't be the only thing we look at. The notion that stats are irelevant or don't matter is just silly

Analytics are a part of the game today whether people like it or not.

It's only idiots who don't accept them. This new guy is clearly in that category. All the insults he throws at dweebs and nerds, just shows exactly how stupid he actually is.

You can't argue analytics. Until it makes sense to argue analytics. We've all seen cases of posession monster type players who just arent very good. Of course it's an anomaly and normally the stats support the theory, but stats need to be part of player evaluations. They can't be the only thing we look at. The notion that stats are irelevant or don't matter is just silly

Of course, they aren't perfect. They are a tool in the tool box, to be used in conjunction with the eye test, with interviews of players, and with a bunch of other things to make scouting better. As you say, its pretty silly to ignore them. You'd have to be an absolute moron to not want to use something that makes your scouting department better.

Oh and the first adopters of analytics were Los Angeles and Chicago. How did that work out? The two teams won some cups while others are now playing catch up.

The biggest proponent of "Analytics Don't Matter, Bring Me Big, Truculent Fighters to Play on the Fourth Line"; Brian Burke's Toronto Maple Leafs... How did that work out?