Habs draft Ryan O'Byrne in 3rd round

Habs77

Ryan O'Byrne Montreal's fourth pick

Defenseman Ryan O'Byrne, who had played with Nanaimo of the BCHL this past season, was the Canadiens' fourth pick on Saturday afternoon, going 79th overall in the third round. O'Byrne, a towering 6-foot-5, 210-pounder, notched 15 points (five goals, 10 assists) in 41 games with his club, and was listed as the 116th North American skater by the CSB.

"We're extremely pleased with the way the first three rounds developed and with the players who we were able to select," revealed Trevor Timmins, the Canadiens' Director of Player Personnel, following Saturday's events. "There's no doubt Kastsitsyn is an extremely gifted player, who in our opinion was the finest European available. We're also extremely high on both members of the Rocket who we drafted, Cory Urquhart and Maxim Lapierre."

As for O'Byrne, Timmins explained that in his estimation, a player shouldn't be discounted simply because he hasn't any junior hockey experience.

"It's a question of rules," said Timmins. "He's planning on playing college hockey for Cornell, and a player with major junior experience is no longer eligible to play for a U.S. university. The important thing is that he didn't get away from us."

[Edited on 22-6-03 by Habs77]

Ryan O'Byrne

# 8 - Defence

Hometown: Victoria, BC

Birthdate: July 19, 1984

Shoots: Right

Height: 6' 5"

Weight: 192 lbs.

Year Team Level/League GP G A TP PIM

01-02 Victoria Salsa BCHL 53 2 9 11 91

Year Team Level/League GP G A TP PIM

Playoffs Victoria Salsa BCHL 3 0 0 0 9

O'Byrne is in his first year as a Salsa and is the tallest on the team. This Victoria Racquet Club product is currently in Grade 12. His sister plays basketball for the University of Victoria. "OB" enjoys golfing, fishing, weightlifting, and water skiing.

"Ryan O'Byrne is our biggest as far as high is concerned. He's skates extremely well for his size. I think he'll remind a lot of people of Brian McMeekin ['02],"

Big, skates well.... ok.

Tough to find info on the guy.

"O’Byrne accepts Scholarship to Cornell

February 26, 2003

Defenseman Ryan O’Byrne acquired during the season from the Victoria Salsa for Tyler Cherwinski has made his decision on where he will be attending school and playing next season.

O’Byrne will join team-mate Byron Bitz and suit up for the Cornell Big Red in the ECAC Conference. Cornell currently sports a 22-4-1 record and are led by former Nanaimo Clippers Greg Hornby, Shane Hynes and David LeNeveu.

[Edited on 21-6-03 by Habs77]

From Redline: "Other sleepers to watch for: Ryan O'Byrne, Bruno Gervais and Philippe Sydoux. O'Byrne played for Tier II Nanaimo, which is tough to get to even for BCHL scouts. But he's gigantic at 6-5/210 pounds, has decent footwork, and a nice mean streak. "

Wow , just noticed that he is a right handed shot , so most likely he plays RD... That explains more why AS took him , because we're thin on RD...

He's a project , but he could be worth it.

Off to college for Ryan ... Wont make the habs for at least 2-4 years , maybe more...

He turns 19 in a month... so 2-4 maybe more you have him waiting 'til he's 25.

2-3 is more like it... if he'll ever make that is.

With Archer, Korneev, and now O'Bryne we now have a little more balance in our RD prospect depth.

On LD we have Hainsey, Beauchemin, Linhart.

"Ryan O'Byrne was working when his mother stopped by to tell him that he was drafted 69th overall by the Montreal Canadiens.

O'Byrne says he's already been contacted by the Habs, who told him 'they like the way I play - the style I play. They're trying to build a defensive core and I fit their mold.'

On Sunday, Canadiens owner George Gillete personally called the Saanich teenager to congratulate him."

The Saanich News

Wdnesday, June 25, 2003

:hlogo::/)

Originally posted by habitual_hab

"Ryan O'Byrne was working when his mother stopped by to tell him that he was drafted 69th overall by the Montreal Canadiens.

O'Byrne says he's already been contacted by the Habs, who told him 'they like the way I play - the style I play. They're trying to build a defensive core and I fit their mold.'

On Sunday, Canadiens owner George Gillete personally called the Saanich teenager to congratulate him."

The Saanich News

Wdnesday, June 25, 2003

:hlogo::/)

I love hearing stories like this (About Gillett) it shows how much he really cares about the team , ... I'm always hearing stories about how he greets fans in the stands during habs games , and he once flew a group of fans to a Bulldogs game on his private jet. etc...

he is the real deal , he honestly cares about this team the players and its fans.... And thats all I need to know about the guy for him to be alright in my books :)

Must be cool for O'Byrne to come home and have and find out that he's been drafted by the habs and George Gillett just called his house.

[Edited on 2003-6-29 by puck7x]

<<Must be cool for O'Byrne to come home and have and find out that he's been drafted by the habs and George Gillett just called his house. >>

i would have said, "how the ###### did you get my number!!!! its unlisted-- if you EVER call again you'll be sorry!!:mad::mad::mad:

:monkey: