2016 Rio Olympics Thread

dlbalr

The 2016 Summer Olympics begin tomorrow although technically they started yesterday with the first soccer games being played. The focus at this time seems to be all about the negatives - The IOC's handling of the Russian doping scandal, the really poor quality of the water, and the Zika virus...not to mention that some of the facilities appear to be lacking in the essentials and concerns over security (although those are common to a few Olympic Games lately).

Will the Games go through without any major difficulties? Will any Russians wind up testing positive? Will Canada actually win a gold medal? Plenty of story lines to follow...

I like watching some of the aquatic sports but I have to admit, the fact that Steve Armitage isn't calling them (he isn't there due to heart problems) tempers my enthusiasm somewhat.

I obviously hope everything ends up being not as bad as expected, but it sure seems unlikely. This is perhaps the best proof that the ICC is right up there with FIFA when it comes to corruption.

That being said, I love the Olympics, both summer and winter, and am taking my traditional partial off days from work to have more time to watch.

Will Canada actually win a gold medal?

Best chances are probably Mark De Jonge (kayak) and Brooke Henderson (female golf).

Santo Condorelli (swimming) and Andre De Grasse (athletism) could surprise as well...

I don't think many saw that coming. Don't worry, I'm sure it will be different in a bunch of other sports.

All through World League coverage, our announcer kept saying to watch out for Canada in the first match. So I was expecting tough competition, but definitely never saw a clean sweep coming.

Heartbreak for the Canadian divers falling out of 3rd place on their final dive.

Heartbreak for the Canadian divers falling out of 3rd place on their final dive.

You could easily make the case they lost it on their first dive where they ranked 7th in one of the compulsories. If you're among the top diving teams in the world, landing those should be relatively straight forward.

And the disappointment continues for USA volleyball. Men's indoor has started 0-2 and one of the beach teams finished last in their group and are eliminated. Looks likely the same will be true of one of our women's teams tomorrow.

And Canada advances more teams than the US out of the group stage in beach. That being said, our teams that did advance are contenders for gold. Glad to see the Canadians doing well. They had a lot of support at the event outside Cincinnati back in May.

Who wants to bet 20$ right now that Penny Oleksiak will be the flag-bearer in 2020.

Could very well carry it in the closing ceremony this year!

Could very well carry it in the closing ceremony this year!

I tend to appreciate when they leave it to someone who was on his/her last Olympics Games though.

Women USA soccer team eliminated. Now, I didn't see that one coming...

Super bummed about going out so early. Though, I'm sure this isn't the place to come for sympathy... With the US out, I'll be pulling for Canada. Hoping they can redeem themselves after a disappointing World Cup and the last Olympics.

P.S. Hope Solo is free to shut up and retire anytime. Sick of having a violent, drunk, loud mouth as one of the faces of the team.

Another gold for Canada, this time in men's high jump. I thought getting one gold was going to be a challenge, but three? Not bad (relative to past Summer Olympics for Canada at least).

World Champion came out just like a World Champion.

Nailed every jump but the OR one.

Gatlin shouldn't have competed.

One of the only Americans I haven't rooted for, but he had no reason not to compete. He served his suspensions and they weren't lifetime bans. Arguable he didn't deserve to have his 8 year suspension reduced to 4, but it was.

Another gold for Canada, this time in men's high jump. I thought getting one gold was going to be a challenge, but three? Not bad (relative to past Summer Olympics for Canada at least).

Men's high jump and women's 100m free, what was the third that I missed?

Bad day overall yesterday. US women's indoor volleyball advanced, but Canada knocked out in soccer and most importantly, Walsh-Jennings and Ross bounced in beach volleyball. Crushed over that one.