2017 NHL Draft Prospects

DON

This year 25th pick, 45% chance he simply makes it as a NHLer. (McCarron likely will make it in bottom six, Juulsen also predicted to be a NHLer at least, Scherbak not real encouraging so far and this years 25th pick likely be similar quality guy)

4 picks in 2nd/3rd round, all basically 25% chance of being NHLer, so should expect to get 1 NHLer there, but likely a d-man with limitations or bottom six forward. 

So don't expect much to change this year and Habs likely will not find any impact players. 

Jughead McKenzie said not to expect any #1 line players or top pairing d-men where Habs are picking, so expectations should be low but always a chance in crapshoot that is drafting of 17-18 yr old high school kids.

36 minutes ago, DON said:

This year 25th pick, 45% chance he simply makes it as a NHLer. (McCarron likely will make it in bottom six, Juulsen also predicted to be a NHLer at least, Scherbak not real encouraging so far and this years 25th pick likely be similar quality guy)

4 picks in 2nd/3rd round, all basically 25% chance of being NHLer, so should expect to get 1 NHLer there, but likely a d-man with limitations or bottom six forward. 

So don't expect much to change this year and Habs likely will not find any impact players. 

Jughead McKenzie said not to expect any #1 line players or top pairing d-men where Habs are picking, so expectations should be low but always a chance in crapshoot that is drafting of 17-18 yr old high school kids.

That sounds fair, but teams like the Habs have to be able to find gems outside the first round. Subban was a 2nd-rounder, Gallagher a 5th-rounder. That's the sort of canny drafting we need. The MB regime did manage to get Lehkonen in the 2nd round, but by and large we're coming up short in these 'hidden gems,' just as we are in every other aspect of drafting and development.

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That sounds fair, but teams like the Habs have to be able to find gems outside the first round. Subban was a 2nd-rounder, Gallagher a 5th-rounder. That's the sort of canny drafting we need. The MB regime did manage to get Lehkonen in the 2nd round, but by and large we're coming up short in these 'hidden gems,' just as we are in every other aspect of drafting and development.

Lack of gems in the 2nd/3rd or late rounds are not the real problem.

Wasted 1st round picks are the real problem.

2008 - None

2009 - Leblanc

2010 - Tinordi

2011 - Beaulieu

McCarron, Sherback and Juulsen still have time to prove themselves.

Mckenzie has these kids ranked where Habs pick;

25th Hague         D 6'6" 215lb 18g 44pt 64gms

54th Popugaev LW 6'6" 217lb 29g 69pts in 71elvenesgms

58th Elvenes  RW/C 6'0" 178lb 15g 45pt 41gms

68th Rasanen      D 6'7" 208lb 6g 39pts in 66gms

85th Lindstrom     D 6'2" 187lb 2g 9 pts 48gms

Guest Stogey24

I can't remember where I was reading about Rasenen, but apparently he likes to throw his weight around. Not bad in the point totals either 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I can't remember where I was reading about Rasenen, but apparently he likes to throw his weight around. Not bad in the point totals either 

Of course wont play out this way, but seemed funny that 3 of the 5 are McCarron sized kids. 

I really like a few of the skilled centres that could fall around the habs first. The newest article has a lot of good to say about Robert Thomas, then there's comtois who has fallen, and my personal favorite Suzuki, who will probably be off the board unless he slips.

5 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

There is no way winger is drafted. Best player or not, they need D or C 

7 minutes ago, Neech said:

We gotta keep drafting BPA at #25.  Hoping for good skating and skill level.

Although I agree with the BPA philosophy, it's not likely to be clear cut at number 25 unless someone slips. So unless a winger like Owen tippet falls the same way Anthony Mantha did, we'll have a center or D man at the draft.

26 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Or just trade the pick. By the sound of things, there's nothing special where we're drafting 

Cupboard is pretty bare. We better be trading for some young players or we won't have anything.

41 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

There is no way winger is drafted. Best player or not, they need D or C 

Why? As you see with Sergachev, prospects can simply be assets and why wouldn't you take the best available, illogical to not do that (unless have equal ranked kids, or at top of draft). These picks will not be jumping into roster anytime soon, especially late 1st pick. You are confusing current NHL roster with kids years away from regular NHL duty. 

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Why? As you see with Sergachev, prospects can simply be assets and why wouldn't you take the best available, illogical to not do that (unless have equal ranked kids, or at top of draft). These picks will not be jumping into roster anytime soon, especially late 1st pick. You are confusing current NHL roster with kids years away from regular NHL duty. 

Except that we have no centers at the NHL level or in the pipeline

Guest Stogey24
27 minutes ago, DON said:

Sergachev is irrelevant. He was the ninth overall pick. 

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Except that we have no centers at the NHL level or in the pipeline

Dosent change anything. And Habs do have bottom six centres and a 25th pick or later is unlikely to be a top six centre for 4 or 5 years...if ever. So, skipping on a more skilled or higher ceiling kid to hope the centre you take will be impact centre in 2022 is not a big deal.

Now, if there is a specific centre they are high on adding (Rasmussen or Glass maybe) and trade up to get him, different story. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DON said:

Dosent change anything. And Habs do have bottom six centres and a 25th pick or later is unlikely to be a top six centre for 4 or 5 years...if ever. So, skipping on a more skilled or higher ceiling kid to hope the centre you take will be impact centre in 2022 is not a big deal.

Now, if there is a specific centre they are high on adding (Rasmussen or Glass maybe) and trade up to get him, different story. 

My point is centers are in dire need now, and not looking to be filled any time soon. We need to be proactive and fill that hole in my opinion 

3 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

My point is centers are in dire need now, and not looking to be filled any time soon. We need to be proactive and fill that hole in my opinion 

Yes and trade is how that must be fixed, as are no good centres, that would fit Habs and are UFA this year.

I don't disagree, but don't look to a high school kid as helping Habs win a cup in next couple years. But, there should be both centres and d-men available at 25 that could be fine picks.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

we have 5 picks in the top 90.  I want 3 Centres at least. 

Someone has,

Timmins (d)25, Chmelevski (c) 54, Formenton (lw) 58 & Gadjovich (lw) 68 slotted for 1st four picks (I know I know just ranking not a mock draft...but just saying)

1 minute ago, DON said:

Someone has,

Timmins (d)25, Chmelevski (c) 54, Formenton (lw) 58 & Gadjovich (lw) 68 slotted for 1st four picks (I know I know just ranking not a mock draft...but just saying)

I see your point, it's more important to have a better asset than a piece that MIGHT fit better in years to come. 

I'm definitely a best player available kind of guy, unless it's so close you can't tell. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What does that same person have in their mock draft?

I will need to look up later, but from your hinting it must include at least a couple centres. Norris or Bowers picked at 25 perhaps?