2017 NHL Draft Prospects

DON

Norris, 6'0.5" 188lb C eh, he seems a popular one for Habs at 25 and snuck in centres at 56 & 58 also I see .

These kids also other choices seen going to Habs at 25;  Hague 6'5.5" (LH d), Thomas 5'11.5" C, Yamamoto146.5lb RW, Robertson 6'2" LW, Lind 6'1" RW

Any idea why Hague isn't ranked higher? He must have some kind of deficiency, skating perhaps.

a 6'6 defenceman who puts up 18 goals and 46 points at 17 .. doesn't sound too shabby.

according to his 100+ penalty minutes he isn't afraid to rough it up to go along with his size.

50 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Any idea why Hague isn't ranked higher? He must have some kind of deficiency, skating perhaps.

a 6'6 defenceman who puts up 18 goals and 46 points at 17 .. doesn't sound too shabby.

according to his 100+ penalty minutes he isn't afraid to rough it up to go along with his size.

Bob McKenzie actually ranked him right at 25.

Commandant's take:

#22 Edmonton Oilers: Nicolas Hague, Defence

Peter Chiarelli has done some really good things in building up the Oilers, especially on the back end. While ideally he would like a right handed defenceman, the size and skill of Hague is too much for him to pass up with this pick, as he continues to add to the blue line. Hague has been a force for the Mississauga Steelheads, helping them to the OHL Final.

TheHockeyWriters write up on him:

Nicolas Hague

2016-17 Team: Mississauga Steelheads (#41)
Date of Birth: December 5, 1998
Place of Birth: Kitchener, Ontario
Ht: 6’6” Wt: 220 lbs
Shoots: Left
Position: D
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2017 first-year eligible
Twitter: @nichague14

Rankings

• THW Alternate Rankings: 18th (January)
  • Future Considerations: 17th (Spring)
  • ISS: 14th (April)
  • Bob McKenzie: 21st (Mid-season)
  • Craig Button: 55th (March)
  • Jeff Marek: 11th (March)

It seems that with every NHL Draft, there’s a defenseman who towers over his competition because of his immense size. It’s no different this season with Mississauga Steelheads defenseman Nicolas Hague.

His play in the second half of the season is one of the reasons why the Steelheads will play for an OHL Championship. He’s been a calming influence on the blue line especially since the departure of Sean Day.

Nicolas Hague, Mississauga Steelheads, OHL, 2017 NHL Draft

(Photo by Terry Wilson / OHL Images.)

Hague finished the regular season with 18 goals and 46 points in 65 games. He has added a goal and 10 assists in 13 playoff games. Many questioned his offensive game coming into his draft year. Thanks to his influence and success on the power play, he has made strides to become an effective two-way defenseman. He has one of the best point shots in this draft.

What will be interesting to watch is his upcoming performance in the OHL Finals. Regardless of the opponent, he’ll likely face some tough smaller competition who can skate. Although he towers over everyone at 6-foot-6, smaller, faster skaters have found success against him creating scoring chances. If he can solidify this part of the game, he can become an effective NHL defenseman with a long career ahead of him.

NHL Draft Projection

Given what all Hague brings to the table, expect him to go mid-late first round. There are some documented concerns that could see him fall out of the first round. But given his overall improvements in his game and tantalizing size and reach, someone will grab him before he falls too far. If he falls out of the first round, watch for teams to move up in the draft to get him.

Quotables

“Hague should be the first defenceman taken from the OHL, he has a tremendous package of size, skating and offensive ability. His performance this season has not been as dominant as I had predicted but big defencemen sometimes develop a little slower. The point is he has developed this year and his ceiling is very high. To acquire defencemen of his abilities in the NHL you have to draft them so look for Hague to go off the board early in the first round.” –Peter Harling, Dobber Prospects

“I’m sure many will focus on his size and projection as a shut down type of defender. But I’d rather talk about the interesting progression of his offensive game. He’s not your prototypical offensive defender. He’s not a particularly dynamic player off the rush and I don’t think he’s got a natural feel as a puck carrier/distributor. But, he uses his size exceptionally well in the offensive end. Consistently pinches in deep to keep pucks in, and actually plays a lot below the hash marks, using his size to work the cycle. He’s smart about it though and doesn’t get caught up ice all that much. Then there’s the big point shot. He does a great job of finding scoring lanes and he actually does a good job of using different releases to get it through to the net. I don’t know how much that will translate to the next level, but the improvements and confidence in his ability to make things happen in the offensive end is worth noting.” – Brock Otten, OHL Prospects

Statistics

Strengths

• Size and reach
  • Puck Moving
  • Skating for his size

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Ability to play in tight spaces
  • Physical game

NHL Potential

Hague has a range of outcomes possible in the NHL. Some believe he can become a number-one defenseman while others believe he will top out as a second or third pairing defenseman. It’s for this reason he is a little harder to project than most players.

His puck moving skills and ability to run a power play make him an intriguing prospect. If he can reach his full defensive potential by being a complete shutdown defender, he could have a long career ahead. I see him as a solid second-pair defenseman who can help your special teams out.

Risk-Reward Analysis

Risk – 4/5, Reward – 4/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential

Offence – 6/10, Defence – 7/10

Awards/Achievements

Nicolas Hague has always excelled as a rookie in different leagues he’s debuted in. He was GOJHL Midwestern Rookie of the Year in 2014-15. He followed that up by being named to the OHL’s Second All-Rookie Team in 2015-16. He was also named the OHL Scholastic Player of the Year.

Interview/Profile Links

• Upvote 1

So.  There is this guy on Mathias Brunet's blog  who was a scout for St-John (LHJMQ).

He thinks all head scouts and GMs are waaaay too much conservative and "old fashionned" with their picks.

Here is his top 31.  He believes that in 5 years, this will end up as the logic draft order when we wil re-visit the draft.

He's fully aware that many of these picks will happen in later rounds.

1. Cale Makar
2. Miro Heiskanen
3. Nico Hischier
4. Owen Tippett
5. Robert Thomas
6. Cody Glass
7. Nolan Patrick
8. Eeli Tolvanen
9. Joni Ikonen
10. Martin Necas
11. Kristian Vesalainen
12. Elias Pettersson
13. Gabe Vilardi
14. Casey Mittelstadt
15. Klim Kostin
16. Alexei Lipanov
17. Erik Brannstrom
18. Timothy Liljegren
19. Nick Suzuki
20. Jaret Anderson-Dolan
21. Ryan Poehling
22. Michael Rasmussen
23. Lias Andersson
24. Kailer Yamamoto
25. Ostap Safin
26. Alex Formenton
27. Ivan Lodnia
28. Grant Mismash
29. Max Gildon
30. David Farrance
31. Alexander Volkov

Great info Don, after reading that I'd love to have Hague at 25, I'm sold lol.

and that projection is pretty whack. Not saying he can't be right but wow, some bold predictions.

31 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

So.  There is this guy on Mathias Brunet's blog  who was a scout for St-John (Saint John you mean:D) (LHJMQ).

A guy the Habs might consider taking who is a bit under the radar is Pierre-Olivier Joseph from the Charlottetown Islanders. He's a lanky left handed defense man who can move the puck, penalty kill and run a power play. I've seen him play dozens of times, nothing flashy about him at all but he does everything right on the ice. Great kid too off the ice, always shows up for community events and fundraisers. 

10 minutes ago, illWill said:

A guy the Habs might consider taking who is a bit under the radar is Pierre-Olivier Joseph from the Charlottetown Islanders. He's a lanky left handed defense man who can move the puck, penalty kill and run a power play. I've seen him play dozens of times, nothing flashy about him at all but he does everything right on the ice. Great kid too off the ice, always shows up for community events and fundraisers. 

Type of guy I'd be really happy to nab with a second if he falls enough. Same with Morgan frost who was just featured in the front page. 

14 minutes ago, illWill said:

He looked tall and very skinny at the combine and I think would be considered more a 2nd rounder. Commandant has him ranked at 46 and McKenzie has him at 33.

21 minutes ago, DON said:

He looked tall and very skinny at the combine and I think would be considered more a 2nd rounder. Commandant has him ranked at 46 and McKenzie has him at 33.

He's in the first round in our mock draft.  He actually garnered a bit of consideration for the 25th pick.

15 hours ago, illWill said:

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He's in the first round in our mock draft.  He actually garnered a bit of consideration for the 25th pick.

And... you know... he could maybe convince MB to... get his brother... ;)

Several Canadian Junior camp invites in draft may be good options for Habs (Mackenzie rank); Foote (20), Hague (25), Timmins (28), Thomas (21) and two productive kids; Jonah Gadjovich (46)(LW 6'2" 209lb 45g 73pts) and Mason Shaw (HM) (C/LW 5'8" 180lb 27g 94pts).

American team has boatload of 2017 draftees invited.

Kailer will be a new Hab tomorrow.

2 opinions on him:

"Yamamoto may be only 5’9″, but he is blessed with pure skill. Yamamoto is a tremendous skater who creates odd-man rushes and scoring chances with his speed, and acceleration. He also has tremendous hands. He is a great stick handler and can bury goals in tight to the goalie. Yammamoto is an excellent play maker as well."

"it’s hard to pass up on the raw talent Yamamoto has.  Yes, he’s incredibly small but has the high end skill that should allow him to succeed at the NHL level once he bulks up more.  There are a lot of smaller but dynamic talents in the Atlantic Division and Yamamoto would be another one of those if he’s picked here."

Just too bad he is a winger, but 65gms 42g 99pts with Spokane is pretty good.

Edited by DON
add stuff

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Dont know anything about him but whats on paper Ben, but why is Johan Gadjovich ranked so low..45g 73pts as well as 6'2" 209lbs, what is he missing?

One of the oldest players in the draft, who didn't do an awful lot until his third OHL season is a red flag for me.   When he's doing it based on physicality, its even a bigger red flag cause there is a man amongst boys element here, can he do it vs men?

also this

"With the stats Gadjovich put up, most would think he would be a first round pick. However, there is one big issue that is putting him further down in the draft rankings, and that is his skating. His start-up and acceleration are a bit clunky, and he really needs to work on that. Once he gets going the speed isn’t as bad, but it really takes a while to reach that top end speed. This means winning races to loose pucks and other short burst actions can be an issue. "

His skating reminds me of Guillaime Latendresse, and he's not as skilled as Latendresse was in other areas. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

One of the oldest players in the draft, who didn't do an awful lot until his third OHL season is a red flag for me.   When he's doing it based on physicality, its even a bigger red flag cause there is a man amongst boys element here, can he do it vs men?

also this

"With the stats Gadjovich put up, most would think he would be a first round pick. However, there is one big issue that is putting him further down in the draft rankings, and that is his skating. His start-up and acceleration are a bit clunky, and he really needs to work on that. Once he gets going the speed isn’t as bad, but it really takes a while to reach that top end speed. This means winning races to loose pucks and other short burst actions can be an issue. "

His skating reminds me of Guillaime Latendresse, and he's not as skilled as Latendresse was in other areas. 

ahh, thanks

27 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

A lot of those picks feel wacky and contrarian but I haven't been high on Vilardi at all in my time watching him on the Spitfires. Then again I was wrong on Fowler busting.

As I explained, this is not a mock draft. This is his ranking of how he thinks the picks will be ranked in 5 years.

The guy just doesn't believe in the "hockey establishment" and despise pretty much every GM who are trying to keep a team competitive for many years.  His opinion about hockey (and sport in general) is that you should always be trying to build a powerhouse, a dynasty.  He's the biggest fan of tanking that I "know".  In his mind,  3 or 4 teams have a legit chance at the Cup every year and all the 26 other teams should be selling. (I know, it doesn't make sense, the math don't add up.)

Also, he doesn't believe in the way the draft is done.  He swings for homerun on pretty much every pick.

I can agree with a lot of that. There's far too much "size > skill" picks and people thinking they can just teach a player something because it worked in the past. I too think that the league would be much better if the establishment guys retired and were replaced by new thinkers. It was 20 years ago that stars were allowed to be stars (Bure, Selanne, Fedorov, Bondra, Jagr, Palffy, all skating through clutch and grab to be fancy) and I would love to see a return of that through draft and development changes. 

I've always subscribed to the 1/3 theory on the NHL. 1/3 should be tanking and losing most of their games. 1/3 should be chasing a Cup and trying to build a powerhouse. 1/3 should be either coming out of their process or in the process of tearing down. You could achieve this real easily by just removing the loser point (or making wins 3 points). 

10 minutes ago, Neech said:

It's a shame we have such a wealth of picks in what is supposedly the worst draft of the decade.

Though it's perceived as a weak draft, there will be value picks in the middle rounds like there always are.  They can't keep putting off restocking the cupboards indefinitely.