2016 Rookie Camp/Tournament Thread

dlbalr

2016Rookie2.jpg

For the second straight year, the Habs are participating in the London Rookie Tournament along with Toronto, Ottawa, and Pittsburgh. Each team plays three games in three days; the Habs will then go back to Montreal for a couple of practices on Tuesday and Wednesday before main camp gets underway. Donald Dufresne will be the acting head coach as Sylvain Lefebvre isn't making the trip (his wife is undergoing surgery) while Nick Carriere and Martin Lapointe will also be behind the bench for Montreal.

Schedule:

Friday, Sept. 16: vs Pittsburgh (3:30 PM EST)*

Saturday, Sept. 17: vs Toronto (7:00 PM EST)

Sunday, Sept. 18: vs Ottawa (3:30 PM EST)*

*- Game will be available on TSN 690

(All games are also televised on Leafs TV.)

Roster

Goalies:

Zach Fucale

Charlie Lindgren

Michael McNiven

Defencemen:

Simon Bourque
Arvid Henrikson
Ryan Johnston
Noah Juulsen
Brett Lernout
Victor Mete
Tom Parisi
Mikhail Sergachev
Michael Zipp*

Forwards:

Jeremiah Addison
Guillaume Asselin*
Daniel Audette
William Bitten
Matthew Bradley
Scott Eansor*
Markus Eisenschmid (AHL contract)
Giovanni Fiore*
Jeremy Gregoire
Artturi Lehkonen
Michael McCarron
Hayden McCool^
Petrus Palmu^
Michael Pezzetta
Nikita Scherbak

* - Tryout, eligible to play in the AHL/ECHL

^ - Tryout, ineligible to play in the AHL/ECHL

Rosters for all teams

Nice to hear McCarron must be putting in an honest effort to get quicker.

Was a list of current sizes for all posted or just someone noted McCarron's slimmed down. (Simply curious if Lernout, Scherbak or other youngsters have bulked up and Juulsen back to where he should be)

McCarron's was singled out via an interview. Maybe next week when they get back to Brossard and have roster sheets we'll find out more (if they bother to update them).

Today's projected lineup from the Habs' site:

Forwards
Artturi Lehkonen – Michael McCarron – Nikita Scherbak
Jeremiah Addison – Daniel Audette – William Bitten
Michael Pezzetta – Matthew Bradley – Jeremy Gregoire
Giovanni Fiore – Markus Eisenschmid – Petrus Palmu

Defensemen
Mikhail Sergachev – Noah Juulsen
Simon Bourque – Ryan Johnston
Tom Parisi – Brett Lernout

Goaltenders
Charlie Lindgren
Zachary Fucale

Boy I'd like Juulsen to be a true NHLer in a few years (2-3)...

That's a realistic timeline for him. Back to junior this year and then one or two years in the minors. I'd lean a bit closer towards needing two AHL full seasons but that's because I think his second year with Laval is when his offensive game will start to be more of a focus. (His first AHL campaign will probably be defence first as we've seen with some of the other prospects in recent years.)

McCarron's was singled out via an interview. Maybe next week when they get back to Brossard and have roster sheets we'll find out more (if they bother to update them).

Today's projected lineup from the Habs' site:

Forwards

Artturi Lehkonen – Michael McCarron – Nikita Scherbak

Jeremiah Addison – Daniel Audette – William Bitten

Michael Pezzetta – Matthew Bradley – Jeremy Gregoire

Giovanni Fiore – Markus Eisenschmid – Petrus Palmu

Defensemen

Mikhail Sergachev – Noah Juulsen

Simon Bourque – Ryan Johnston

Tom Parisi – Brett Lernout

Goaltenders

Charlie Lindgren

Zachary Fucale

Addison and Bitten together. Should be on the Spits too but someone wants to play for Ottawa. Pfft.

Habs LD prospect depth is awful after Sergachev.

Addison and Bitten together. Should be on the Spits too but someone wants to play for Ottawa. Pfft.

I've read some speculation that Bitten is open to some other organizations (but that his preference is Ottawa still). I'd like to see him go to Barrie. I haven't been able to go see a Hab prospect play for the Colts since Tyler Hanchuck (and that was like 15 years ago). You already have two to go see this season, let me have one...

I like Bourque and Mete is awesome skater, not likely ever to be top pairing guys of course, but still not 'awful'. But Habs must be one of few teams with more RH d-men than Lefties.

1-0 Pittsburgh after the first. The Habs were absolutely terrible in the first five minutes and it sounded like Lindgren was standing on his head but they got better as the period went one. Juulsen and Lernout had big hits while the top line has had some good moments as well. Fiore has been active among the tryout players.

I missed the end of the 2nd and the 3rd, turns out I missed all the fun. Johnston scored late in the 2nd to make it 4-1, then Addison, McCarron, Juulsen, and Scherbak all scored in the 3rd. Pittsburgh added a couple as well but the Habs win 8-3. :1banana:

Scoring summary for the Habs:

Johnston (Lehkonen, McCarron)

Parisi (Addison)

McCarron (Lehkonen)
Johnston 2 (unassisted) PP

Addison (Bitten, Juulsen)

McCarron (Scherbak)

Juulsen (Scherbak, Lehkonen)

Scherbak (Juulsen)

Watched a couple videos on Sergachev, one showing his blazing speed, the other a fine hip check along the boards around center ice on a flying winger, Sergachev looks like a solid physical guy, and that speed is just crazy.

Did anyone see that highlight goal from Sherbak? Amazing...

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/9/20/12992104/canadiens-release-11-players-from-rookie-camp-lehkonen-sergachev-training-camp-fiore-juulsen-bitten

11 cut from camp, no surprise Juulsen and Sergachev not sent back to junior yet. McNivan still there also, I assume till Price is back from Hogtown Gimmick Tourny.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/9/20/12992104/canadiens-release-11-players-from-rookie-camp-lehkonen-sergachev-training-camp-fiore-juulsen-bitten

11 cut from camp, no surprise Juulsen and Sergachev not sent back to junior yet. McNivan still there also, I assume till Price is back from Hogtown Gimmick Tourny.

Is Bitten still holding out from playing with Flint? I'm shocked the Habs wouldn't keep him around till he was traded or training camp ended just so he'd be practicing hockey somewhere.

Is Bitten still holding out from playing with Flint? I'm shocked the Habs wouldn't keep him around till he was traded or training camp ended just so he'd be practicing hockey somewhere.

That's what I expected to happen, they'd keep him around just to skate with the team. They must think a trade is close.