Training Camp Roster

dlbalr

32 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Barberio cleared waivers. That's really good news for St John's. 

Also for the Habs as that gives them at least one somewhat proven option to bring up when injuries strike.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Also for the Habs as that gives them at least one somewhat proven option to bring up when injuries strike.

I was thinking the same thing. 

I liked Barbs last year. Not perfect, but not bad if he's on your third pair. 

Sergachev will get a tryout. No doubt in my mind. He deserves it.

Will he be good enough to remain with the team the whole season? It remains to be seen, but he will get his chance. It's up to him.

11 minutes ago, JCPetit said:

Sergachev will get a tryout. No doubt in my mind. He deserves it.

Will he be good enough to remain with the team the whole season? It remains to be seen, but he will get his chance. It's up to him.

How exactly does he deserve it?  He has played what, three preseason games, and struggled in his own end in two of them.  If he's not a top 10 pick, he's back in junior by now.  That said, I agree that he seems likely to get a look.

Yeah I think he should be sent back to junior too.  Its also one less player to risk on waivers... which to me is silly cause Sergachev is not getting a 10th game.  No chance, he's struggling too much defensively. 

I would be very surprised if number 22 does not make the team. Very few players have a set of skills like his. He still has to learn a few tricks, but I believe that he is a quick learner. We will see.

32 minutes ago, kuternoga said:

Lehkonen and Sergachev are staying with da team. 

5 minutes ago, habs rule said:

do you have some inside knowledge?

Francois Gagnon is reporting it, claiming good sources.

I'd link to the tweet, but I'm on mobile.

Sergachev will start the season. According to Gagnon, he might very well get more than nine games if he plays well. The 41 games threshold, after which a player is entitled to free agency at 25 years old, is more of a concern to management, says Gagnon.

In the case of number 34, management has not made up its mind yet.

55 minutes ago, JCPetit said:

Sergachev will start the season. According to Gagnon, he might very well get more than nine games if he plays well. The 41 games threshold, after which a player is entitled to free agency at 25 years old, is more of a concern to management, says Gagnon.

Some clarification on this:

If a player is on an active roster (not to be mixed up with the game day roster) for 40 or more games, he accrues one season towards free agency.  My interpretation is that it's not 40 games played, it's 40 on the roster.  (So the max is 39 with the 40th triggering it, not max 40 with 41 triggering.)

The CBA definitions of accrued season and active roster for those interested:

"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on a Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games, provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement, games missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Active Roster shall count as games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only during the League Year in which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one additional season.

"Active Roster" shall be determined as follows: Commencing on the day prior to the start of the Regular Season, and concluding with each respective Club's last NHL Game in a League Year, Active Roster shall include all Players on a Club's Reserve List who are signed to an approved and registered SPC, subject to the provisions of Article 11, and who are not on the Injured Reserve List, Injured Non-Roster, designated Non-Roster, or Loaned. A Player who is on a Conditioning Loan is included on a Club's Active Roster. During Training Camp, a Player shall be deemed to be on the Club's Active Roster only if he had been on the Club's Active Roster after the Trade Deadline in the preceding season on other than an emergency recall basis.

It sounds like the Habs offered Alexandrov a two-way deal but he decided to turn it down to go back to the KHL (I wonder if they were offering him the spot that now goes to Racine).  I also get the sense they may already have invited him back for next year as well.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/10/08/alexandrov-espere-etre-de-retour-avec-le-canadien

16 hours ago, Davehab said:

I am quite shocked that sergachev made the team.  

I still think think that he would be best served by going back to Windsor. But it will be fun to watch him in the big show 

Might not notice him very much, I would bet he may be lucky to see 4 or 5 shifts/period and maybe even spend a game or two in the pressbox, especially if when he has a costly defensive gaff or two.

12 hours ago, DON said:

Might not notice him very much, I would bet he may be lucky to see 4 or 5 shifts/period and maybe even spend a game or two in the pressbox, especially if when he has a costly defensive gaff or two.

Well let's be honest, Le Genius is not one to give young guys an actual chance.

1 minute ago, habs rule said:

Well let's be honest, Le Genius is not one to give young guys an actual chance.

Do you even follow the Habs? If you did you might notice a couple young Habs have actually developed quite well under current Mgmt. And what in heck is "actual chance"? Are you saying you want Sergachev to play in the top four, or with Weber and get 25-30minutes/game? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Do you even follow the Habs? If you did you might notice a couple young Habs have actually developed quite well under current Mgmt. And what in heck is "actual chance"? Are you saying you want Sergachev to play in the top four, or with Weber and get 25-30minutes/game? 

Don I like you, but your love for your uncle clouds your judgement, I don't think we need to get into this argument anymore.

2 hours ago, habs rule said:

Don I like you, but your love for your uncle clouds your judgement, I don't think we need to get into this argument anymore.

Look, who had the sarcastic crack from left field...that called for some response. And seriously, which kid(s) are you referring to, that hasn't been given an "actual" chance of making it? Tinordi, Bozon, Hudon, Leblanc?

So the only argument is, is there really any truth at all, to your insinuation that Therrien mistreats kids in their development, or just a myth?  Maybe he is worse than average but doubt it, I have never said he Therrien was a great coach; but average or bit above average to what else is available seems fair to say.

57 minutes ago, DON said:

Look, who had the sarcastic crack from left field...that called for some response. And seriously, which kid(s) are you referring to, that hasn't been given an "actual" chance of making it? Tinordi, Bozon, Hudon, Leblanc?

So the only argument is, is there really any truth at all, to your insinuation that Therrien mistreats kids in their development, or just a myth?  Maybe he is worse than average but doubt it, I have never said he Therrien was a great coach; but average or bit above average to what else is available seems fair to say.

Whatever I am done talking about the A$$ hole guy or oh sorry the foxhole bum buddy.

51 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Whatever I am done talking about the A$$ hole guy or oh sorry the foxhole bum buddy.

Well, that is rather disappointing.

13 hours ago, habs rule said:

only cause you like to talk about him.

See...the kindly ol coach loves the youngsters.

(from Stu Cowen-Gazette piece)

Artturi Lehkonen appears to have won a job on left wing on the second line with Tomas Plekanec and Radulov, and the injury defenceman Jeff Petry suffered against the Maple Leafs looks like it could open a spot for 18-year-old Mikhail Sergachev, the Canadiens’ first-round draft pick this year. If they both make the club, it would mark the first time since 2012-13 that two rookies are on the Canadiens’ opening-night roster. Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk were the ones who did it four years ago.

“First of all, you want to give opportunities to young players to see if they’re capable to play in the NHL,” coach Michel Therrien said after Sunday’s practice. “We got some young kids we’re really satisfied (with). Lehkonen, we put him in a position to see if he was capable to follow the game in the NHL. He had a really good camp. Sergachev had a really good camp. He’s only 18 years old and he showed a lot of good things on the ice. (Mike) McCarron had a good camp.

“We had some young guys and even young veterans who really stepped up,” the coach added. “Today we got meetings and we’ll decide on our final lineups, and I’m going to have more news for you guys tomorrow.”

Sergachev admitted he’s nervous as he awaits the final cuts, adding he doesn’t want to go back to the junior Windsor Spitfires, where he was named the OHL’s outstanding defenceman last season as a rookie