Training Camp Roster

dlbalr

The Habs have unveiled their 62 player camp roster with quite a few invites, most of which are AHL tryout players. The invites:

Forwards

David Broll (last year played in Syracuse, would be a 4th line tough guy with St. John's)

Mathieu Coderre-Gagnon (was in Tulsa of the ECHL last year, a pure 4th line goon)

Philip DeSimone (split the season between Austria and Philly's AHL team, played in Hamilton a few years ago)

Markus Eisenschmid (was a regular in St. John's last season before a concussion ended his season early)

Giovanni Fiore (played in the Q last season and was at rookie camp)

Stefano Momesso (played in Italy after being cut from rookie/St. John's camp last season)

David Pacan (nearly a point per game player in the ECHL last year, former 6th rounder of Chicago in 2009 and signed to ECHL Brampton)

Yannick Veilleux (bottom six forward for St. Louis' AHL team last season, went unqualified by the Blues back in June)

Defence

Yuri Alexandrov (28 and has spent most of his career in the KHL and was a 2nd rounder of Boston back in 2006. I don't know if he'd take a tryout to try to get an AHL contract so...)

Justin Baker (already signed with Brampton, spent a bit of time in Slovakia last year)

Jeremie Blain (signed with St. John's already, likely a #7 there or ECHL-bound)

Josiah Didier (on an AHL deal with the IceCaps for the second straight year)

Full roster, courtesy of their hideous new website designed to match the awful NHL one: https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-camp/c-282006410

Defence

Yuri Alexandrov (28 and has spent most of his career in the KHL and was a 2nd rounder of Boston back in 2006. I don't know if he'd take a tryout to try to get an AHL contract so...)

He really wants to make the NHL but he's not good enough. It was financially smarter for him to go back to KHL when he was a Bruin. I can honestly see him stay with the Ice Caps/Rocket if they liked him enough but I don't see much potential in him.

Guest Stogey24
58 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Sergachev was hurt on a hit in the final game of the rookie tournament.  Also notable in that tweet, Montreal's first preseason game is tomorrow (they play New Jersey).

It was a dirty hit he took. Seems like maybe whip lash? 

1 hour ago, nihilz said:

..Momesso.. Momesso, Momesso?

He was at camp last year too, got cut from St. John's and wound up in Italy.  Clearly he's there as a favour to Sergio but I'm hoping this doesn't become another Joseph Quattrocchi situation and that he's not around as a field filler for a few more years in a row.  (It's not the trivia thread but does anyone know what I'm referring to with Quattrocchi?)

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

He was at camp last year too, got cut from St. John's and wound up in Italy.  Clearly he's there as a favour to Sergio but I'm hoping this doesn't become another Joseph Quattrocchi situation and that he's not around as a field filler for a few more years in a row.  (It's not the trivia thread but does anyone know what I'm referring to with Quattrocchi?)

Quattrocchi, there's a reference and a half. Didn't he get a whole bunch of try-outs with the Habs because he was related to someone in management? I remember he was only good at making our prospects look way better than they were.

4 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Quattrocchi, there's a reference and a half. Didn't he get a whole bunch of try-outs with the Habs because he was related to someone in management? I remember he was only good at making our prospects look way better than they were.

Exactly.  He's Timmins' nephew I believe.  He wound up at four or five rookie camps in a row as a filler instead of having an actual prospect get that slot.  I noticed a few years ago he stopped attending but as it turns out, he stopped playing a few years ago which probably explains why.  I hope Momesso doesn't become another of those types of prospects, someone that keeps getting a look at camps instead of someone with even a smidgen of upside.  Let's face it, he's not cracking St. John's roster and if all he can be is someone who could make the ECHL, he has no business being there, even if he only is working out with the minor league coaches and other AHL-bound tryouts.

21 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Are the preseason games being televised 

Yes, all games are on RDS (regional).  TSN5 I believe is doing both OTT-MTL games (regional) while Sportsnet One has one of the TOR-MTL games shown nationally.

19 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Yo guys.

What are your takes on Alexandrov ?

I have a hard time thinking he's going to come in and beat potentially two of Emelin, Pateryn, Barberio, and Pateryn for a roster spot.  I also have a hard time thinking he'd accept a minor league deal at this stage of his career - why wouldn't he just stay in Russia then?  If I had to guess, the Habs have told him there's an NHL two-way deal on the table if he plays well at camp with the hope that he'd clear waivers and start in the minors like Barberio did last season and be a potential call-up if/when injuries arise.  (He'd be battling with Lernout, Samuelsson, and Hanley most likely there.)

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

So should Team C just be called the 'Thanks For Coming Out' squad?

Pretty much, yeah.  They're just in town in advance of St. John's training camp which will probably start in Montreal for a few days before the team plays their exhibition series against the Marlies.  (Aside from McNiven, he's NHL or CHL...and he ain't making the NHL this year.  I'm honestly a bit surprised he's still there, it must just be to serve as the practice goalie until one of Fucale or Lindgren are 'cut' from the main squad.)

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Pretty much, yeah.  They're just in town in advance of St. John's training camp which will probably start in Montreal for a few days before the team plays their exhibition series against the Marlies.  (Aside from McNiven, he's NHL or CHL...and he ain't making the NHL this year.  I'm honestly a bit surprised he's still there, it must just be to serve as the practice goalie until one of Fucale or Lindgren are 'cut' from the main squad.)

Doesn't bode well for Bozon's future.

8 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Doesn't bode well for Bozon's future.

He's been in that group since camp started too.  I don't want to say they've completely given up on him but he's going to have quite the hill to climb this season.

57 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's been in that group since camp started too.  I don't want to say they've completely given up on him but he's going to have quite the hill to climb this season.

Hard to climb that hill with Lefebvre holding you by your ankles too.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Hard to climb that hill with Lefebvre holding you by your ankles too.

Believe me, I'm no Lefebvre fan but I don't think he was the problem when it came to Bozon.  He just wasn't good enough to play in an offensive role last season (and his overall game doesn't make him a suitable bottom six guy either).  That doesn't really leave many options.  I'd have had him spend more time in the ECHL and then brought up him in an offensive role when the injuries hit but that wouldn't have been Lefebvre's call either.

I really think they have too many guys in camp. It doesn't give the younger guys a chance to get used to anything, except maybe the hot dogs. You can't really judge a player on his skill level in 1 game (his first game ever) nervousness excitement are a bad combination when you trying to win a spot. I think take the top 45 and work from there, there are guys that are here for no reason except maybe practice squad. Also it wastes a lot of time of the coaches who know the kid has no chance .Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

I really think they have too many guys in camp. It doesn't give the younger guys a chance to get used to anything, except maybe the hot dogs. You can't really judge a player on his skill level in 1 game (his first game ever) nervousness excitement are a bad combination when you trying to win a spot. I think take the top 45 and work from there, there are guys that are here for no reason except maybe practice squad. Also it wastes a lot of time of the coaches who know the kid has no chance .Just my opinion.

As much as there is technically, what, 61 players in camp, there really aren't that many.  That Group C doesn't practice with the big club, they skate separately in what is essentially pre-IceCaps camp.  That knocks it down to 49, including the World Cup guys and Sergachev.  So basically, they're really working with about 45 right now anyways.  As the World Cup guys return, more players will move over to that Group C (people like Didier, Eisenschmid, Crisp, etc) that are ultimately going to be AHL-bound when the first cuts happen so they'll still be working with that mid 40's group.  Once AHL camp actually starts (which will probably be early next week as St. John's starts their preseason on the 6th), then they'll actually cut down a big chunk all at once.