Training Camp Roster

dlbalr

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

McCarron sent to the AHL.

Great camp from him though. Almost assuredly the first call-up unless Carr somehow also gets sent down.

McCarron gets cut.

Good move and hope McCarron can repeat last fall's play down there.

3 hours ago, DON said:

See...the kindly ol coach loves the youngsters.

(from Stu Cowen-Gazette piece)

Artturi Lehkonen appears to have won a job on left wing on the second line with Tomas Plekanec and Radulov, and the injury defenceman Jeff Petry suffered against the Maple Leafs looks like it could open a spot for 18-year-old Mikhail Sergachev, the Canadiens’ first-round draft pick this year. If they both make the club, it would mark the first time since 2012-13 that two rookies are on the Canadiens’ opening-night roster. Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk were the ones who did it four years ago.

“First of all, you want to give opportunities to young players to see if they’re capable to play in the NHL,” coach Michel Therrien said after Sunday’s practice. “We got some young kids we’re really satisfied (with). Lehkonen, we put him in a position to see if he was capable to follow the game in the NHL. He had a really good camp. Sergachev had a really good camp. He’s only 18 years old and he showed a lot of good things on the ice. (Mike) McCarron had a good camp.

“We had some young guys and even young veterans who really stepped up,” the coach added. “Today we got meetings and we’ll decide on our final lineups, and I’m going to have more news for you guys tomorrow.”

Sergachev admitted he’s nervous as he awaits the final cuts, adding he doesn’t want to go back to the junior Windsor Spitfires, where he was named the OHL’s outstanding defenceman last season as a rookie

Oh but you forgot, when the rookie makes a mistake, which every rookie does, you staple his ass to the bench. then you send him down.

27 minutes ago, Aaron Stamboulieh said:

If the roster must be down to 23 by tomorrow at noon and only Condon is on waivers, how can that possibly work? Unless Petry goes on IR.

Petry has been placed on IR.  Unless they claim someone off waivers tomorrow, the roster is set.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Great camp from him though. Almost assuredly the first call-up unless Carr somehow also gets sent down.

Indeed 

He can go down feeling pretty good about himself. He will be a regular soon enough, let him work on his speed and skating ability a bit more. There is no reason to rush him. 

6 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Oh but you forgot, when the rookie makes a mistake, which every rookie does, you staple his ass to the bench. then you send him down.

OK I will play along. Do you have any examples "at all" of any kid being unfairly dealt with in the past 4 yrs? Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, maybe McCarron?

Or do you mean Subban having to sit, missing all of 3 shifts, for a selfish play/gaff in a game?

Again, I can think of any significant examples, please refresh my memory.:popcorn:

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Petry has been placed on IR.  Unless they claim someone off waivers tomorrow, the roster is set.

When Petry returns, who likely gets shipped to the rock? Andrighetto or Redman.

Guest Stogey24
29 minutes ago, DON said:

Maybe Flynn goes on waivers 

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Too bad.  I would rather have McCarron than Andrighetto but I guess putting him on the 4th line wasn't ideal.

McCarron is still my choice to replace Desharnais as third line center one day.

1 hour ago, DON said:

I wouldn't rule out Carr if they're really worried about waivers.  If Petry were to miss a few games and Sergachev struggled, it could also be him.  Flynn also makes some sense, especially if they want to add some cap space. 

14 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Too bad.  I would rather have McCarron than Andrighetto but I guess putting him on the 4th line wasn't ideal.

He wouldn't have made the fourth line either (Andrighetto is a scratch).  This was a no-brainer, send a waiver exempt guy down to play instead of being a healthy scratch.

2 hours ago, DON said:

OK I will play along. Do you have any examples "at all" of any kid being unfairly dealt with in the past 4 yrs? Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, maybe McCarron?

Or do you mean Subban having to sit, missing all of 3 shifts, for a selfish play/gaff in a game?

Again, I can think of any significant examples, please refresh my memory.:popcorn:

Talk to Patches see what he thinks. or Subban etc etc .

59 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Talk to Patches see what he thinks. or Subban etc etc .

Your not even trying! Therrien has been accused blamed for "NOT" stapling Pacioretty to the bench, when he has been in a slump. Subban has sat for 3 shifts and I cant recall him not playing 20+minutes and for damn sure he nor Pacioretty have never been sent to the minors during Bergevin's time.

Another myth busted.:B)

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Your not even trying! Therrien has been accused blamed for "NOT" stapling Pacioretty to the bench, when he has been in a slump. Subban has sat for 3 shifts and I cant recall him not playing 20+minutes and for damn sure he nor Pacioretty have never been sent to the minors during Bergevin's time.

Another myth busted.:B)

Therrien is...conservative when it comes to kids. In fact he seems hyper risk-averse in all aspects of the game, from systems to handling of young guys. While his handling of Galchenyuk has at times seemed to border on neurotic, there's a difference between 'conservative' and destructive; and there's little to indicate that he has been destructive or even particularly 'unfair' towards young players.

I'd be inclined to agree that if you want your team to get maximum performance from players in (say) the first three years of their contracts, you don't hire Therrien; and whether or not his conservative methods yield a better overall player in the end is much harder to determine. But either way, I don't think player development per se has been a problem. A lot of the complaining has to do with the mediocrity of guys Tinordi or Lars Eller, about whom many fans harboured all sorts of unrealistic fantasies and who consequently blamed Therrien when the results disappointed. In fact, Tin Man just sucks arse, while L'il Baby Lars was never, and will never be, more than a solid bottom-6 C. These facts are not Therrien's fault.

If we lose a player on waivers or the trade market who goes on to explode away from Therrien's tutelage, then that might be some hard evidence of a problem. Until then, the criticism is, at best, not proven.

Agree, cept the risk-adverse thing and I would go with conservative. He has gone out on limb more than a few times, often to the uproar of the fancy stat crowd.

As expected Sergachev made the team. The captain believes, like I do, that he deserves it because of his work in training camp. JJ Daigneault said today that he has never seen a defenseman as good as this one at 18 years old. I don't recall either, with the Habs, of course.

Nobody knows how long this experiment will last. The pressure is on the youngster. Let's wish him the best.

2 hours ago, habs rule said:

oh for crying out loud Le Genius out on a limb I think not. Anyways This is a useless conversation, call him conservative or just plain stupid I don't care .

Then why bother to comment and post anything?

Guest Stogey24

"There are roster issues. We want Mike to play 21 minutes. The future is so bright. He's gonna be a cornerstone of the franchise". - Bergevin. Pretty kind words of McCarron 

23 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

There are roster issues. We want Mike to play 21 minutes. The future is so bright. He's gonna be a cornerstone of the franchise". - Bergevin. Pretty kind words of McCarron 

I hated the draft pick of McCarron and thought he would be a fringe grinder at best (which still may be) but he does seem to be doing all he can to improve and I hope he proves me wrong.

But, he needs to produce and be an impact player in AHL first, so still wait and see if last fall was just a flukey scoring streak.

26 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

"There are roster issues. We want Mike to play 21 minutes. The future is so bright. He's gonna be a cornerstone of the franchise". - Bergevin. Pretty kind words of McCarron 

Kind words indeed. He will be back pretty soon.

Guest Stogey24

Time will tell for sure.

All that you can ask for with a  prospect like McCarron is consistent improvement each year and he's done that.