Shaw suspended for three preseason games

dlbalr

Meh, it still sends the message to him not to do it again. Hopefully the one who benefits the most from this is Shaw himself. 

20 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Meh, it still sends the message to him not to do it again. Hopefully the one who benefits the most from this is Shaw himself. 

Does it though?  He doesn't lose any pay and now he doesn't have to play in as many preseason games.  Some would interpret this as a reward more than anything.

16 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Does it though?  He doesn't lose any pay and now he doesn't have to play in as many preseason games.  Some would interpret this as a reward more than anything.

Well it could be argued that the lack of preseason games won't help him get ready for the games that matter, so he may be a step behind everyone else. 

I wouldn't have cared if he'd gotten at least 1 regular season game suspension, but whatever. I hope this is the last time he's a liability to Montreal.

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Well it could be argued that the lack of preseason games won't help him get ready for the games that matter, so he may be a step behind everyone else. 

I wouldn't have cared if he'd gotten at least 1 regular season game suspension, but whatever. I hope this is the last time he's a liability to Montreal.

It's a possibility that he could be behind but he'll still be able to play the last two games (and then there's a full week between then and the start of the regular season) so I think he should be up to speed for the start of the year.  He probably would have only played two (if not one) of the next three games anyways.

4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I hope this is the last time he's a liability to Montreal.

For the next six years? Doubtful. 

It's pretty cowardish to get angry about a Jay Beagle slewfoot and take your anger on an AHLer from behind. If you think he's going to keep his cool through regular season and playoff games, especially with the current "Montreal needs to be tougher" narrative, I don't what to say other than don't bet on it.

15 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

For the next six years? Doubtful. 

It's pretty cowardish to get angry about a Jay Beagle slewfoot and take your anger on an AHLer from behind. If you think he's going to keep his cool through regular season and playoff games, especially with the current "Montreal needs to be tougher" narrative, I don't what to say other than don't bet on it.

Before this, his last suspension for an actual on-ice play, was hitting Mike Smith.... in 2012.  4.5 years ago. 

Yes there was also the slur, but I don't see that as the same as a dirty hit. 

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It depends what kind of head he has on his shoulders. I don't know Shaw as well as some others but I haven't heard of him being a Torres, Cooke or even a Kassian type prior to this instance. I.e. Someone with a history of acting like a fool on a consistent basis. 

If he does have a good head on his shoulders and character, for lack of a better word, then he should use this as a wake up call knowing that eyes will be on him and that he can and will face consequences if he acts up again. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Before this, his last suspension for an actual on-ice play, was hitting Mike Smith.... in 2012.  4.5 years ago. 

#character

8 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

It's a preseason game folks....I for one, like the truculence.

We're the goddamn (Neo) Montreal Canadiens. Expect to get your nose broke and lunch money stolen. And don't bother complaining.

Truculence is fine, but I highly doubt, or would bet your paycheque that Shaw wouldnt of run d-man from behind, if it had of been Chara or Byfuglien on the back of the sweater and not a no-name teenager.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

I know you're currently on your Andrew Shaw defence tour but being a liability also includes just taking stupid penalties, which Shaw is really good at. Ask any Blackhawks fan. 

Montreal basically got Brandon Prust back, but a better paid Prust that can put up 35 points with top six minutes. 

A few of you guys have used 'truculence',

(I had to go see what that was http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/truculent, thanks btw ppl, :) I really enjoyed learning about the editor's note; new word of the day for me!) 

Now 'truculence' (in a definitions 1,3 and 4 in my book are good in a hockey game but pre season game not into account, I get Shaw was Super Vexed before making that hit. IMHO it was Dirty Donkey F-bomb Hit!

The hit was disgusting, the suspension is a joke, and the league, as usual, is fish waste. 

I share in the concern about Shaw's judgement. He ought to know better - not that this farcical suspension is any kind of 'lesson.' It's all too easy for agitators to lose the plot. He'd better not...the Habs are all-in on him.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I know you're currently on your Andrew Shaw defence tour but being a liability also includes just taking stupid penalties, which Shaw is really good at. Ask any Blackhawks fan. 

Montreal basically got Brandon Prust back, but a better paid Prust that can put up 35 points with top six minutes. 

Andrew Shaw draws more penalties than he takes.  Has in every season in his career. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The hit was disgusting, the suspension is a joke, and the league, as usual, is fish waste. 

I share in the concern about Shaw's judgement. He ought to know better - not that this farcical suspension is any kind of 'lesson.' It's all too easy for agitators to lose the plot. He'd better not...the Habs are all-in on him.

I don't like the hit

I think its a little much to say that one hit is going to define his career and override everything we've already seen, which is

1) He's now been suspended twice for hits in his NHL career... 4.5 years apart.

2) He draws more penalties than he takes.

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Andrew Shaw draws more penalties than he takes.  Has in every season in his career. 

And now he plays for Montreal with more responsibilities while there's the whole "Montreal must be tougher" mantra floating around. Hence him getting suspended in pre-season action. You can continue betting on this being an anomaly of his future career. I'm betting this is the new Shaw. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

And now he plays for Montreal with more responsibilities while there's the whole "Montreal must be tougher" mantra floating around. Hence him getting suspended in pre-season action. You can continue betting on this being an anomaly of his future career. I'm betting this is the new Shaw. 

Coach will have a heart to heart with him and get him back on track, don't worry.

• Upvote 1

I just find the thought almost amusing that we have people complaining that our management is set on getting an old boys core, filled with players who don't show any charisma or individuality, and then many of the same people complain once we get a player who doesn't fit this mould and crosses the boundary line. 

Either way, I'll repeat that I don't know much about Shaw but if he's somewhere in between a Steve Begin (heart & soul) and Brendan Gallagher, then I'm going to really like him. I don't expect him to be a Sean Avery, Matt Cooke or even Raffi Torres type. 

Personally I think Shaw will be just fine, he doesn't strike me as a hot head.

I don't agree with the hit but like I said he was obviously trying to set the tempo for the season and was getting tired of some of the Washington kids running around a bit. I think he could of gone about it differently but what can you do.