2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Let the record reflect that for once, I actually remembered to start this before the first game of the season.  The 2016-17 NHL calendar is a shorter one than usual as all games will be crammed into 180 days (it's usually about 185/186) thanks to the World Cup of Hockey.

Here's the annual snapshot of opening rosters with a look at who the biggest, heaviest, and oldest teams are.  The Habs are not dead last in any of those categories (but they come quite close in size): http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2016/10/2016-17-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html

Top 5 in Height: Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Calgary, Dallas, Washington

Top 5 in Weight: Colorado, Buffalo, Los Angeles, Dallas, Columbus

Bottom 5 in Height: Philadelphia, Montreal, Chicago, Nashville, Florida

Bottom 5 in Weight: Vancouver, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey

(Bold: Playoff Team)

(Underline: Stanley Cup champion)

So Auston Matthews scores four in his NHL debut (and it's still going).  He's the first player ever* to score four goals in his first career game.

Edit: * - In the modern era - two players scored five in 1917 but that was before forward passes were allowed.

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

So Auston Matthews scores four in his NHL debut (and it's still going).  He's the first player ever to score four goals in his first career game.

Unreal to watch.

He completely undressed Karlsson on the second goal.

Matthew's historic performance is ominous, suggesting that the Leafs have a true superstar at C - which is one of the standard Cup building blocks.

But when the tale of 2016-17 is told, Montreal will stand head and shoulders above all the other Canadian teams. EDM and TO have sexier young talent. But the Habs have a core that has been through the wars and has the seasoning to contend. No other Canadian team can make that claim.

Some bad hockey played last night. Beware of high expectations created by horrible goaltending and poor defensive positioning. Matthews is a big boy too. I suspect he will be better than some of the 1st overall duds we have seen lately. 

On McDavid.  This guy is awesome.  His explosive speed with the puck reminds me of lafleur.

Guest Stogey24
6 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Some bad hockey played last night. Beware of high expectations created by horrible goaltending and poor defensive positioning. Matthews is a big boy too. I suspect he will be better than some of the 1st overall duds we have seen lately. 

On McDavid.  This guy is awesome.  His explosive speed with the puck reminds me of lafleur.

Edmonton had quite a few defensive lapses last night. 

Mcdavid is in a class of his own for sure. Speed, hands, smarts.

He picked up speed through the neutral zone and almost went through the entire team. Like 0-100 in a second. Fun to watch for sure. 

Vancouver waived Emerson Etem yesterday (losing him to Anaheim) to make room for Jack Skille.  I know it's shuffling bottom six guys around which isn't a big deal but this makes no sense to me.  Etem's better and younger, two elements that should be important for a team that should be rebuilding. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Vancouver waived Emerson Etem yesterday (losing him to Anaheim) to make room for Jack Skille.  I know it's shuffling bottom six guys around which isn't a big deal but this makes no sense to me.  Etem's better and younger, two elements that should be important for a team that should be rebuilding. 

Vancouver and sense are like water and oil 

2 minutes ago, illWill said:

Vancouver and sense are like water and oil 

Indeed! My guess is that the "logic" here concerns that nebulous variable "character." They seem to have been disappointed in Etem, a guy who doesn't use whatever tools he has on a night-in, night-out basis. The inaptly-named Skille said he would "chew through rope" to get the job and probably impressed them with his sheer grit and determination. Keeping the much younger player would involve asset management, obviously a foreign concept to Jim "I refuse to trade any of my seven impending UFAs in a non-playoff year" Benning.

Emerson Etem has had numerous chances with numerous teams.  I don't think he's that great of a loss.  

Not that I think Skille is that great a player either. 

Lets just say Vancouver has bigger problems than choosing between these two guys. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic