2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

17 hours ago, DON said:

I miss Crankshaft!

Hey shed no tears for Crankshaft, he and some buddies invented a way to fill 3 beer mugs at a time. They plan to sell it to colleges to reduce the beer line ups. Ya just gotta know that is a winner, and serves the greater good. Could have used that when I was in university, I might have stayed longer.:D

6 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Hey shed no tears for Crankshaft, he and some buddies invented a way to fill 3 beer mugs at a time. They plan to sell it to colleges to reduce the beer line ups. Ya just gotta know that is a winner, and serves the greater good. Could have used that when I was in university, I might have stayed longer.:D

Come on, those 8 years you spent getting that B.A. degree was more than long enough.:P

2 minutes ago, DON said:

I wonder if NHL owners would be more open to moving Ottawa to Quebec City, than moving a Carolina, Columbus US team north?

They might be.  Would Eugene Melnyk want to do that; does he want to sell?  They just got the rights to redevelop some land downtown that will be the site of their new arena in the next few years, I can't see him turning around and selling and/or moving now.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They might be.  Would Eugene Melnyk want to do that; does he want to sell?  They just got the rights to redevelop some land downtown that will be the site of their new arena in the next few years, I can't see him turning around and selling and/or moving now.

Melnyk has stated quite categorically that he is not selling.  Under any but the most dire of circumstances. But who knows next week could be different:P

8 hours ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

"Montreal Canadiens traded Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann to the Chicago Blackhawks for Phillip Danault and a second-round draft pick in 2018"

This looks good in hindsight.

i'd have loved to get Weise back as a UFA. Damn Philadelphia.

Maybe in four years.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎23 at 8:53 AM, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

i'd have loved to get Weise back as a UFA. Damn Philadelphia.

Maybe in four years.

I don't.

Additions we made since Weise left totally make him expandable, IMO.
Especially Paul Byron.

I don't see Paul Byron as possessing quite the same skillset. He lacks Weise's blinding speed (he was faster than everyone else on our team), thick skull, size and physicality. Byron's a tiny little guy with better than average speed and a pretty good defensive sense (better than Weise's by far).

Not saying I don't love Byron, but I don't see him as having taken Weise's spot.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

I don't see Paul Byron as possessing quite the same skillset. He lacks Weise's blinding speed (he was faster than everyone else on our team), thick skull, size and physicality. Byron's a tiny little guy with better than average speed and a pretty good defensive sense (better than Weise's by far).

Not saying I don't love Byron, but I don't see him as having taken Weise's spot.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I don't think Weise comes close to Byron's speed.  I always thought he was a pretty average... well everything.  And although he's a bigger body, I don't think Weise was as physical as some would make him out to be.  Byron's pretty scrappy, IMO.  I think Byron will put up more points and having him on the PK makes other teams respect his speed.  I don't know if I'd call him an upgrade, but I'd definitely take Byron over Weise.

I also believe that Byron is faster than Weise.

In fact, I believe Byron is NHL top 5 in terms of speed.  At least top 5.

Grabner, Larkin, McDavid... who else ?

Dale Weise was tested as the fastest skater on the Canucks team, and they certainly weren't a slow team. I hadn't seen any comparisons of him in Montreal, but Weise could outskate the entire Canucks before we got him, and he certainly didn't slow down in Montreal.

The reason Weise and Byron aren't really comparable, is Weise is not a defensive forward. He's got a goal-scorer's brain in a checker's body. He's a very good "cherry picker," and can put the puck in the net with surprising frequency no matter what line you put him on. (I'd love to have him on the wing of our third line with David Desharnais.) If you're using him to kill penalties, you're misusing him. He's a 5-on-5 and occasional powerplay guy (when your other wingers are out of gas).

Well... this is what you'd like Dale Weise to be.

In reality, he's a player with some skills who never had more than 29 pts in a season in the NHL.

Now, did he got misused by all of his coaches ?  Maybe...

2 hours ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

I don't see Paul Byron as possessing quite the same skillset. He lacks Weise's blinding speed (he was faster than everyone else on our team),

OK, you best cut back on medication or maybe you simply got the names backwards?

Byron is likely the quickest player in the NHL.

Guest Stogey24

Ya, Dale weise's brain is just oozing goals. 

Just like you said David Desharnais is the best third line centre in the game. 

Your out to lunch bud. 

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I also believe that Byron is faster than Weise.

In fact, I believe Byron is NHL top 5 in terms of speed.  At least top 5.

Grabner, Larkin, McDavid... who else ?

....Gaborik?

I enjoy both players but I would take Weise on my team over Byron personally. I hope he has a great season but Byron is usually a player who will score a nice shorthanded breakaway goal and then be off the score sheet for the next 7-8 games without anyone even realizing it. 

Weise didn't rack up the points either but come playoff time, I'd want him on the ice even and especially during 5 on 5 overtime. He scored some clutch goals. 

4 GWG in 38 playoff games. That would translate into 8-9 GWG in a calendar season. Call it what it is but I think there's something to it. 

Guest Stogey24

There was a poll done in Habs dressing room about who the most underrated player is( or something along those lines) and basically the entire team said Byron. I may have heard that on here, actually?  

I've talked alot of shit about Byron, but the guy can play. His speed alone is insane. His short handed goal against Boston was proof of that. 

Gotta be the fastest guy in the league 

4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Ya, Dale weise's brain is just oozing goals. 

Your out to lunch bud. 

Post of the week right there....:lol:

6 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

There was a poll done in Habs dressing room about who the most underrated player is( or something along those lines) and basically the entire team said Byron. I may have heard that on here, actually?  

I've talked alot of shit about Byron, but the guy can play. His speed alone is insane. His short handed goal against Boston was proof of that. 

Gotta be the fastest guy in the league 

Byron Fan Club starts behind me, sir.

On 2/24/2016 at 1:06 PM, Lovett's Magnatones said:

One hundred percent. But at the risk of sounding like some of the broken records around here, I'll deserve judgement until this time next year when he has three goals and two trips on the IR.

One goal down, two to go!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Well... this is what you'd like Dale Weise to be.

In reality, he's a player with some skills who never had more than 29 pts in a season in the NHL.

Now, did he got misused by all of his coaches ?  Maybe...

I called him a third liner, a goal scorer's brain in a checking forward's body. 29 points with 10-14 goals is a legit offensive third line player.  (You can argue he spent some of that on lines he shouldn't have been on, but then again Desharnais was feeding him. And he's now the third line.)

And again, I'm not comparing him to Byron. They don't fill the same role. Byron's not putting up 29 points, though. That's not why he's there.

22 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Desharnais is the best third line centre in the game. Find another that consistently puts up 0.6 points per game. If your third line centre averages 40th in scoring among centers, he's better than two thirds of the second line centers and all of the third liners.(1st line 1-30, 2nd line 31-60, 3rd line 61-90.) Paid like a third line centre @3.5 mil. Points like a second line centre. Anybody who complains about him is delusional. Find me another 45-60 point guy for your third line for less money.

He's a second line talent making third line money.

In his 2nd NHL game, Malcolm Subban was pulled from the game after giving up 3 goals in the 2nd period. 

His 1st NHL game? Pulled from the game after giving up 3 goals in the 2nd period. 

God, that's gotta be demoralizing.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic