2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

15 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

In his 2nd NHL game, Malcolm Subban was pulled from the game after giving up 3 goals in the 2nd period. 

His 1st NHL game? Pulled from the game after giving up 3 goals in the 2nd period. 

God, that's gotta be demoralizing.

He's damaged goods at this point unfortunately. 

12 hours ago, Trizzak said:

In his 2nd NHL game, Malcolm Subban was pulled from the game after giving up 3 goals in the 2nd period. 

His 1st NHL game? Pulled from the game after giving up 3 goals in the 2nd period. 

God, that's gotta be demoralizing.

He has been yanked twice already in the AHL this season too - including against St. John's.

Hey Brian, the Ducks signed Lindholm, good for them but where is the cap money coming from? According to a very unreliable source (Eklund) they are now 4.7 mill over the cap. I know they have till their next game to be compliant, but there has to be a move coming right?

3 hours ago, habs rule said:

Hey Brian, the Ducks signed Lindholm, good for them but where is the cap money coming from? According to a very unreliable source (Eklund) they are now 4.7 mill over the cap. I know they have till their next game to be compliant, but there has to be a move coming right?

LTIR for Simon Despres and Nate Thompson covers them for now.  I think they'll be okay once Thompson is ready to come off but when Despres is ready, then it could be an issue.  He's dealing with another concussion though so there's really no timetable for his return.

Edit:  Here's their GM on Despres, it really doesn't sound too good for him:
Cvy3Vf0UsAE1yq7.jpg:large

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

LTIR for Simon Despres and Nate Thompson covers them for now.  I think they'll be okay once Thompson is ready to come off but when Despres is ready, then it could be an issue.  He's dealing with another concussion though so there's really no timetable for his return.

Ok

Sad news out of Ottawa today as we learned the reason for Craig Anderson's leave from the team. His wife Nicholle has been diagnosed with cancer. Thoughts are with her and hoping for a full recovery.

With Hammond's injury, Anderson will return to the team under the encouragement of his wife. 

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Mike Condon is back in the division - Ottawa just traded for him.  A 5th round pick is heading Pittsburgh's way.

He gonna have some frequent flyer points.

31 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Mike Condon is back in the division - Ottawa just traded for him.  A 5th round pick is heading Pittsburgh's way.

It took just 20 minutes of hockey and seven saves made for Mike Condon to turn from a waiver wire pick-up into a fifth round pick.

7 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Ottawa honestly annoys me. Just something about them

Little Brother Syndrome. Most of their fans pre-expansion were Montreal/Toronto/Quebec fans. A lot of those fans now have kids and hold a resentment against Montreal/Toronto. They want to be a big rival to one of those teams and the most they get is "Battle of Ontario". Had they won a Cup when they were a powerhouse (I truly think if 04-05 wasn't a lockout it was their year) things would be different but instead they exist just to be a pest to the two bigger fanbases. Until they win a Cup they will never be treated as an equal.

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It took just 20 minutes of hockey and seven saves made for Mike Condon to turn from a waiver wire pick-up into a fifth round pick.

Also Ottawa and LA both having their goaltending situations turn into dumpster fires. 

12 hours ago, DON said:

Will Pateryn get a regular shift for rest of season?

I imagine when Redmond gets healthy, he'll get some time in the lineup and barring injuries, it will probably be at Pateryn's expense. 

Tough day for a couple of former Habs yesterday, Gilbert got a three game suspension while Weise was a healthy scratch.

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny about Weise. He was (IMHO) really a great asset for us. It seems as though he reverts to being a borderline NHLer in any other organization except Montreal.

I'd imagine part of that is that he has been used differently.  In Montreal, he saw 3rd line ice time, sometimes a bit more.  He didn't get that in Vancouver or Chicago.  With Philly, he's been in that role at times and on the fourth line as well so there hasn't been much consistency yet.

15 hours ago, DON said:

Just a comparison;

Beaulieu 24, 151 NHL games 3g 32pts

Pateryn  26,   58 NHL  games 1g  7pts

WillPateryn get a regular shift for rest of season?

Unfortunately looks like Pateryn will have to sit out a few games when Redmond comes back. It's unfair, but that's how it goes. Like I said in the other thread, I really like what I've seen so far from Pateryn. We have to give him some games so he can improve!

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

Unfortunately looks like Pateryn will have to sit out a few games when Redmond comes back. It's unfair, but that's how it goes. Like I said in the other thread, I really like what I've seen so far from Pateryn. We have to give him some games so he can improve!

I know, like you I think he 'deserves' a fair shake with regular shift for extended period and if Barberio or Redman are to get a look, he is obvious scratch, but also will be injuries so will need to see how plays out.

5 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I like Pateryn, but he's a dime a dozen. He's taken no strides to prove he's more than number 6  

I still think the thing he does that's different from a dime a dozen player is that he actually gets the puck to the net in the offensive zone. Decent and accurate shot from the point. Barberio can shoot as well though and I haven't seen enough of Redmond to comment. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic