2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

I have to admit that these past 20 games or so have got me worried. But I will not panic. The first 5 games after the buy-week will tell us where they're at. Everyone will be back and well rested and the team will have NO EXCUSES for any type of shitty performances.

If they go 4-1 in their first five games after the buy-week, I will be satisfied, but if they can't , then I will start to panic!

Ho hum 26th goal for Matthews. The darn kid is going be too frickin good (but like McDavid, fun to watch), Don Cherry must love him, he simply dosent seem to ever celebrate when he scores, just business.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Ho hum 26th goal for Matthews. The darn kid is going be too frickin good (but like McDavid, fun to watch), Don Cherry must love him, he simply dosent seem to ever celebrate when he scores, just business.

Indeed...because there is nothing more offensive than hockey players showing emotion. God, I hate this 'Code" garbage.

I am dismayed by the Leafs' young guns up front. If they can trade one of them for a stud blueliner, they will start to look really scary.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Indeed...because there is nothing more offensive than hockey players showing emotion. God, I hate this 'Code" garbage.

I am dismayed by the Leafs' young guns up front. If they can trade one of them for a stud blueliner, they will start to look really scary.

In fact, they should try to package  JVR and a 1st pick  for a stud blueliner, not give away one of their young forwards.

Shocked to see this hasn't been posted here, as it involves two former members of the Canadiens organization: Ron Hainsey was traded from Carolina to Pittsburgh for a 2nd round pick and Danny Kristo.

Despite being 35 and joining the NHL in 2002-03, Hainsey has not yet played in a NHL playoff game.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Shocked to see this hasn't been posted here, as it involves two former members of the Canadiens organization: Ron Hainsey was traded from Carolina to Pittsburgh for a 2nd round pick and Danny Kristo.

Despite being 35 and joining the NHL in 2002-03, Hainsey has not yet played in a NHL playoff game.

That last sentence is astonishing. He's put together a tidy little career, but talk about futility.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Danny Kristo was now in the Penguins organization? Wow.

He was dealt there earlier in the year for a minor league d-man.  It's really quite interesting how far his stock has fallen - he's even struggling in the minors this year.

Dallas traded Patrick Eaves to Anaheim for a conditional 2017 2nd round pick

Red Wings traded Jurco to Chicago for a 3rd round pick

Patrick Berglund re-signs in St Louis for 5 years, $19.25 million. So $3 850 000 per year, a $150 000 per year raise on his last contract.

That 2nd for Eaves becomes a 1st if Anaheim makes the conference final and Eaves plays in half the games.  That's a nice haul for Dallas for a player who has been a bottom six guy for most of his career (but is having a really strong season this year).

The biggest story today is out of Vancouver as Troy Stecher has the mumps while four others are showing symptoms.

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That 2nd for Eaves becomes a 1st if Anaheim makes the conference final and Eaves plays in half the games.  That's a nice haul for Dallas for a player who has been a bottom six guy for most of his career (but is having a really strong season this year).

The biggest story today is out of Vancouver as Troy Stecher has the mumps while four others are showing symptoms.

Doesn't Toronto  have a problem with mumps?

16 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Dallas traded Patrick Eaves to Anaheim for a conditional 2017 2nd round pick

Red Wings traded Jurco to Chicago for a 3rd round pick

Patrick Berglund re-signs in St Louis for 5 years, $19.25 million. So $3 850 000 per year, a $150 000 per year raise on his last contract.

Wow, rentals look to be expensive this year.  I know this year's draft isn't highly regarded, but that still seems pricey for those guys.  Good luck acquiring Duchene or someone else of that caliber if that's the price for rentals.

Edited by John B

5 minutes ago, John B said:

Wow, rentals look to be expensive this year.  I know this year's draft isn't highly regarded, but that still seems pricey for those guys.  Good luck acquiring Duchene or someone else of that caliber if that's the price for rentals.

Eaves has 21 goals which slots him 2nd on the Ducks.  That's why Dallas was able to get the 2nd for him.  Between that and his cap hit, I'm not too shocked with a 2nd (though the conditions that could make it a first is more than I thought they'd get).  As for Jurco, he's only 24 and probably won't be a rental so that's why he gets a 3rd despite his struggles.  He'll be added to the mix of cheap young forwards they have in the hopes that a change of scenery will make him a serviceable middle six forward.  (I'm not overly optimistic that will happen but you never know.)

13 minutes ago, John B said:

The question, to my mind, is whether Gallagher + Beaulieu, along with a pick (I'd give up the 1st-rounder) or middling prospect (not Sergachev) is enough to bag Duchene. That gives them a fan-favourite, well-known and historically productive FW and a D-man with upside who would certainly be top-4 on their team, as well as a prospect. I don't know if it's enough. But I don't think I want to see Bergevin give up more. (And even this trade would make a second trade, this time for a quality puck-moving blueliner, even more of a crying necessity than it is right now, so it comes with significant challenges for the Habs).

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The question, to my mind, is whether Gallagher + Beaulieu, along with a pick (I'd give up the 1st-rounder) or middling prospect (not Sergachev) is enough to bag Duchene. That gives them a fan-favourite, well-known and historically productive FW and a D-man with upside who would certainly be top-4 on their team, as well as a prospect. I don't know if it's enough. But I don't think I want to see Bergevin give up more. (And even this trade would make a second trade, this time for a quality puck-moving blueliner, even more of a crying necessity than it is right now, so it comes with significant challenges for the Habs).

To me that should be plenty, too much in fact.

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Athanasiou is on the market for a young dman according to freidmann.  Thats a move i would be all over.

Anyone but serg.

Don't know much about the kid, but THN profiles him as 6'2, C, very fast skater, good two way game, with offensive upside. What's not to like? The only caveat is that he's clearly a work in progress at this juncture - he might not really mark an upgrade on Danault in the short term, which may be an issue for a team in Win Now mode.

Who, specifically, do you see going the other way? Juulsen?

21 hours ago, habs rule said:

To me that should be plenty, too much in fact.

I think is about what would take. Just in a good year both Duchene and Gallagher both could get 30 goals. Beaulieu has skating, puck skills to be a top four d-man but hockey IQ/decision making and shot all subpar and 1st pick this year also might not be huge loss neither.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Athanasiou is on the market for a young dman according to freidmann.  Thats a move i would be all over.

Anyone but serg.

He can fly.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic