2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

26 minutes ago, DON said:

Just a humorous image from some past season. Poor linesman gets a taste of old time hockey!

C-iaaxrXsAAh6_4.jpg

Yow! Men were tougher back then, that's for sure. Fighting with fists was once commonplace both inside and outside the ice rink. Considering the damage we now know it can cause, it's probably for the best that (as Dylan sings) things have changed.

16 hours ago, Chris said:

huh, i guess it is possible to score goals on Lundqvist. 

and is 'possible' for a 12 goal scorer to get 4 in one game.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Tough time to be a Colorado fan - they drop the max 3 spots in the lottery.  (So did Vancouver for that matter.)  New Jersey jumps up to 1st while Philly vaults from 13th to 2nd.

I think Linden instantly aged 10 years when he saw they got the shaft two years in a row. I do like the lottery though and great to see Aves not get into the top three even.

Given that Habs are out of playoffs & finished 8th in reg season; but Rangers, Sens, Blues and Nashville all finished below them but made 2nd round and I think if they lose in 2nd round, that they still hold their reg season spot and still can bump habs down.

Where are Habs likely to finish, given that 2 of 4 below them will advance to semi-finals and Oil were tied but likely headed to 3rd round. Does this mean Habs likely could be close to 21st pick and does being a divisional winner also factor in?  

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Tough time to be a Colorado fan - they drop the max 3 spots in the lottery.  (So did Vancouver for that matter.)  New Jersey jumps up to 1st while Philly vaults from 13th to 2nd.

The Metro just became a bloodbath.

There's talk that Jersey will want to bring Kovalchuk back and convince him to stay and that the Devils will be competitive by adding Ship and Dad. 

Add Patrick, Kovy, Ship, and Dad to the Devils and with Schneider in net that's a playoff team. I'm a very crowded division. And then the Flyers get better?

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Colorado has had unbelievable luck in inheriting a powerhouse (Forsberg/Sakic), then fleecing that idiot Houle for Roy. They never had to go through the normal suffering of an expansion team. So, suffering now looks good on those pr*cks. Let them burn.

Even I feel bad for the Canuckleheads :lol: Another classic Vancouver moment right there

Guest Stogey24
18 hours ago, Chris said:

huh, i guess it is possible to score goals on Lundqvist. 

Never would have thought it eh

Guest Stogey24
9 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yea, gave up 8 goals in 2 games against the sens, 

i think 9 goals in 6 games against the habs, minus empty netters. 

Shows how anemic the habs offense is

Big changes are coming. Bergevin's career is now on the line. 

2 hours ago, Chris said:
2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Big changes are coming. Bergevin's career is now on the line.

Doubt it, finishing 8th in NHL and being division leader from start till finish, while convincing a 'top coach' and 'a' top free agent' to sign with them.

And I just don't think Molson is ready to start another GM search. Many seem pretty confident a new GM would be better, but exactly who is that upgrade...most seem to just assume grass has to be greener under 'some' replacement.

Yea, gave up 8 goals in 2 games against the sens, 

i think 9 goals in 6 games against the habs, minus empty netters. 

Shows how anemic the habs offense is

However, literally everyone picked Habs to win series and many projected them to be drafting in bottom four. So many agreed with Bergevin's roster make up before the series and playoffs started, but now everyone is ranting the total opposite...bit hypocritical, no?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DON said:

However, literally everyone picked Habs to win series and many projected them to be drafting in bottom four. So many agreed with Bergevin's roster make up before the series and playoffs started, but now everyone is ranting the total opposite...bit hypocritical, no?

I don't ever recall being happy with MB's roster make up or being happy with the dark direction he's taken this team.  I think you are delusional in thinking others are as happy with MB as you are.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't ever recall being happy with MB's roster make up or being happy with the dark direction he's taken this team.  I think you are delusional in thinking others are as happy with MB as you are.

I'll throw my hat into the ring as a MB supporter. However, I am also a realist in that I understand he cannot just acquire anybody with the snap of his fingers, as some people seem to think that he can. At this last trade deadline he could have acquired some "B" level scoring and he did not, so for that I'm on board with the criticism. In my opinion he has won more transactions than he has lost. The GM of the Canadiens is not supposed to be a savior, but a man doing his job. And I think he is doing it well

On 4/28/2017 at 10:02 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yow! Men were tougher back then, that's for sure. Fighting with fists was once commonplace both inside and outside the ice rink. Considering the damage we now know it can cause, it's probably for the best that (as Dylan sings) things have changed.

That's a hell of a song that gets no recognition within his larger body of work!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Another great playoff game by PK Subban, saved a goal in the final two minutes of the game. Shut Tarasenko down all night.

How can that be possible?  Subban can't be trusted in critical defensive situations!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, illWill said:

I'll throw my hat into the ring as a MB supporter. However, I am also a realist in that I understand he cannot just acquire anybody with the snap of his fingers, as some people seem to think that he can. At this last trade deadline he could have acquired some "B" level scoring and he did not, so for that I'm on board with the criticism. In my opinion he has won more transactions than he has lost. The GM of the Canadiens is not supposed to be a savior, but a man doing his job. And I think he is doing it well

You and Don can get in a foxhole together than!  Or better yet join MB, since he finally had to dump his old buddy!

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You and Don can get in a foxhole together than!  Or better yet join MB, since he finally had to dump his old buddy!

And you can throw on a Nashville jersey and jump on their bandwagon.

8 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

It was cool/interesting hearing the Edmonton fans sing the US anthem, though it seemed like it only happened because the guy with the guitar froze on the lyrics.

He said the mic was dead or not working, could be excuse though, who knows.

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

At least you were 'trying' to be funny and not just cynical and bitter for once. Must of had a good sunday!:clap:

19 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

That's a hell of a song that gets no recognition within his larger body of work!

Bob's later work, from Time Out of Mind (1998) to Tempest (2012), is fantastic. My favourite Dylan era, actually. But now we're off thread ;)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Amazing game between the Blues and Predators. Also I guess it's possible to be crosschecked in the head but still be accused of embellishment.

I know, I had to roll my eyes at that. Two minutes for being PK Subban. Who, by the way, was superb all night in all three zones.

12 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Amazing game between the Blues and Predators. Also I guess it's possible to be crosschecked in the head but still be accused of embellishment.

Of course it is possible to embellish a crosscheck to the head, I don't understand how how one could think otherwise. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know, I had to roll my eyes at that. Two minutes for being PK Subban. Who, by the way, was superb all night in all three zones.

If he got two minutes simply for being PK Subban, then that means he embellishes quite often...which he does. Don't worry, I'm not slamming him. But when a guy has a history of those calls the refs look for it. It's not their fault 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic