2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Subban off to the finals.  I bet it really sucks to be MB tonight.

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Nashville lost all of Webers Leadership and CHaracter, gained a locker room cancer in Subban and is farther than they have ever been. 

Hey, how dare you belittle the importance of weber's leadership and the mark messier leadership award.  Don't you realize the long history of one of the most important awards in the league?

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

They have also used Finn Balor's music.

Now that I think about it... so many teams in numerous sports MUST have uses Triple H's theme. It's too perfect.

I was in the memorial cup press room when Nashville scored. It was right after the press conference with Konowalchuk so it was quiet. My fist pump on the fourth Predators goal was so loud everyone heard it. The fist pump! So much wind on it.

I don't know how they can win a Cup without Johansen but it's still going to be exciting.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Subban off to the finals.  I bet it really sucks to be MB tonight.

I suspect he's not really all that concerned.  Any time you trade away a star player, this has the possibility of happening.  And besides, I don't think he obsesses over everything that goes on with Subban as some fans tend to.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I suspect he's not really all that concerned.  Any time you trade away a star player, this has the possibility of happening.  And besides, I don't think he obsesses over everything that goes on with Subban as some fans tend to.

Maybe not, but it's pretty interesting that a team trades their highest paid player and their captain and suddenly goes further than they've gone before in the playoffs, their aging starter has his best playoffs, and the defensive core looks more dangerous and capable than ever.

I'll just assume if the Weber / Subban trade didn't happen that the habs would be in the stanley cup? 

The preds are a much more dangerous team then the habs are, much more talent up front. The Preds D is far better then the habs D, 

CJ is a better coach then MT, Laviolette has brought his 3rd team to the cup, 

Subban has played well,so did Weber

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Chris said:

I'll just assume if the Weber / Subban trade didn't happen that the habs would be in the stanley cup? 

The preds are a much more dangerous team then the habs are, much more talent up front. The Preds D is far better then the habs D, 

Predators barely made the playoffs. It's funny to me how much better everyone thinks they are now compared to when the trade happened.

Fact is, there was no point to the trade. Bergevin has a hole at centre but trading Subban for Weber was his top priority. That's why this is not going away. This is four wins from being on Le Trade level. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Predators barely made the playoffs. It's funny to me how much better everyone thinks they are now compared to when the trade happened.

Fact is, there was no point to the trade. Bergevin has a hole at centre but trading Subban for Weber was his top priority. That's why this is not going away. This is four wins from being on Le Trade level. 

Yep.  I said it when the move was made, this is as bad as as the Roy and Chelios trades.  Both of those teams also became contenders because of those trades.

In the gold days of Pollack, it would be the habs winning cups because of the moves their GM made. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Thanks Ottawa.

Two more days of rest for the Predators.

I'm surprised Ottawa won tonight.  I can't imagine a MT team coming back the way the sens did.  Although I doubt the extra days will help the preds too much - the guy that the preds need to recover is out until next year.  

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm surprised Ottawa won tonight.  I can't imagine a MT team coming back the way the sens did.  Although I doubt the extra days will help the preds too much - the guy that the preds need to recover is out until next year.  

Losing Fiala and Johansen is painful, but there's guys like Subban and Rinne that need rest and Fisher could come back from his eye injury.

Lol at subban vs Weber. 

Thank GOD MB didn't hire boucher. Most boring crap hockey ever. 2 scoring chances and two goals on seeing sure shots. Total luck they won tonight. Worst team in the playoffs and I will be very surprised if they don't regress next season. 

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Losing Fiala and Johansen is painful, but there's guys like Subban and Rinne that need rest and Fisher could come back from his eye injury.

They get the same rest regardless. ... the Finals schedule is already set. 

37 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Lol at subban vs Weber. 

Thank GOD MB didn't hire boucher. Most boring crap hockey ever. 2 scoring chances and two goals on seeing sure shots. Total luck they won tonight. Worst team in the playoffs and I will be very surprised if they don't regress next season. 

Jean Perron hockey was extremely boring - given how the rest of the teams were playing in the 80's, but it got us a cup.  

Boucher has taken a team most expected to finish 14th in the league to being a game away from the finals.  I guess you are happy that we got knocked out in the first round instead by the team Boucher and the sens beat.

He has also completely changed the image of Karlsson and helped him become a true leader.  Like Subban, Karlsson was called a one dimensional offensive dman by most of the talking heads and was robbed of the Norris last year.   Now he is being hailed as being by far the best dman in the league.  After an extremely slow start, he's got Bobby Ryan going and Ryan has said that he had to adjust to Boucher wanting him to be more of a net presence than a perimeter shooter.  On the other hand, the two guys MB hired have done nothing but cost us Subban and totally messed up Galchenyuk.  The guy MB did end up hiring after finally firing le Genius, started our most offensive gifted player on the 4th line.  Than in the last minute of an elimination game puts him at centre.  Sorry, but i'd rather have Boucher than this bullshit coaching that has resulted in nothing but losing.

• Upvote 1

Zero chance I ever read a positive post from you. Regardless of coaching. So 2 Norris  trophies and 2 nominations and the world is just now noticing Karlsson is good? Boucher is a genius. Zero chance I wanted him before and I'm thanking God I don't have to watch his boring crap now. 

Oh ya I forgot. 

Lol at Subban vs Weber. It's done. I don't like it either but Jesus is getting old. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Lol at people telling others what they should and shouldn't talk about. 

I didn't tell anyone what to talk about. But trying to spin that boucher made Karlsson great after he won two Norris trophies and 4 nominations is total silliness. If you guys want to prattle on about how the habs would be going to the final if hey kept subban, be my guest. There is a lot of use of the term "narrative" used in this site lately. You guys spin your narratives all you want. I find it entertaining. Unlike boucher hockey. 

14 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I didn't tell anyone what to talk about. But trying to spin that boucher made Karlsson great after he won two Norris trophies and 4 nominations is total silliness. If you guys want to prattle on about how the habs would be going to the final if hey kept subban, be my guest. There is a lot of use of the term "narrative" used in this site lately. You guys spin your narratives all you want. I find it entertaining. Unlike boucher hockey. 

You're putting words in people's mouths. 

I haven't seen one person say that the Habs would be in the final if they kept subban. 

I have seen that the theory that this is a trade that the Habs would win short term and the Preds long term is all shot here.  The Predators haven't suffered at all short term, they got better.  And they still have the defenceman who is five years younger. 

I also see people pointing out that Nashville isn't missing Weber's leadership, and saying that Subban is not so much of a cancer in the room as was stated previously. 

I also see people saying that Subban is playing against other team's top lines all playoffs. (Toews, Getzlaf, Tarasenko)

This isn't to say that Montreal would win with Subban. 

But this is to say that all the justifications that were used on this trade (win now, character and leadership, defensive liability) have all been shot to shreds. 

The best thing you can say about this trade is that its a lateral move in talent, and the Habs got 4 years older.  

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic