2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Markov and Sergachev are both better suited on the left side in this lineup.... so I don't see them playing together. 

I don't want to develop Sergachev as a RHD, and then wonder in 4 years why he's not a LHD when thats where we need him.  The Galchenyuk problem. 

I thought Markov and Petry were fine together this season.  Don't have a problem pairing them. 

As for Bergevin, I'm more down on his ability to acquire the players we need than I am on the contracts.  Plekanec and Emelin's contracts are bad.  Max, Price, Gallagher, Byron and others are very good. Petry and Shaw I consider neutral, i don't mind their deals, but they aren't bargains. Its hit and miss. 

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Frankly, I don't have much faith in his ability to manag the cap given the contracts he has given to Shaw and Briere.  If somehow he managed to get a real top 6 centre, imagine what he would shell out for them.  Ideally, unlike most who likes the grit he brings, I would want to dump Shaw.  I hate his contract - both $ and term.  MB should have given only one or the other to Shaw, but he gave both.  I can't believe he stood fast on the bridge for Subban and than constintly pays too much for washed up guys like Briere or scrubs like Shaw. Nickel and dime the talent and over pay for character is not how you build a cup contender.

im not sure where to play Markov and Petry.  At this stage, neither is a true top pairing dman.  But you can't really play the two together either. So I think one of them has to play on the bottom pair.  I also think if sergechev is with us next year he he should play with Markov, who I think will be the ideal mentor.  I don't think we should be rushing him to the top pairing with Weber.  But who knows, he may surprise.

Cap management is all about having cheap young talent coming up. Shaw is a good player, but he is a prime example of the type of guy you should develop from within, carry on cheap contracts, and let walk as a UFA. Since the Habs' pipeline seems very weak at FW, MB has to overpay. It comes back to the incompetence of his regime in drafting and development.

The situation at D is at least theoretically better. Sergachev and maybe Juulsen (maybe?) project as top-4 guys. So we at least have the option of waiting for those guys to come along within 2-3 years and avoiding still more bad contracts on the back end. Your observation that the current team needs an upgrade on the blueline is a shrewd one, too easily overlooked as we are dazzled by the comical lunacy of our inadequacies at FW.

I'm not quite as convinced by Boucher as you. Let's remember that OTT had two 'tragic cases' this year - Anderson and MacArthur - that inspire a team to transcend its limits, and that a coach's first year is often their best. Still, they had a tremendous playoff, obviously. I'm relieved they lost.

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Fine by me.  

No one is forcing you to read anyone else's posts. 

The ignore list is easy to find. 

As for respecting others... I'm not the one telling people to leave this forum and post somewhere else cause I don't like their opinions.  

Grow up.  Sometimes people will disagree with you.  That doesn't mean trying to silence them.  This forum would be boring if we all agreed all the time. 

Grow up? You should try it. When someone disagrees with you, you insult them, punk. Go #### yourself

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, KoRP said:

Grow up? You should try it. When someone disagrees with you, you insult them, punk. Go #### yourself

I've been very civil in this conversation.  You are the one throwing insults. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Wow, there is just no quit on this Ottawa team.  MB not firing his fat bum buddy and hiring Boucher is looking even worse now.  Nobody is ever going to call this sens team fragile.  Karlsson has also proven he is the best dman by a country mile.  Doughty should not have won the Norris last year,

Just when I thought you were about to write a post that didn't trash management, you were amazingly able to sneak a spot for it in there. 

• Upvote 2

Here are the RFA offer sheet thresholds:

$1,295,571 or below: None

Over $1,295,571-$1,962,986: Third-round pick

Over $1,962,986-$3,925,975: Second round pick

Over $3,925,975-$5,888,960: First and third round picks

Over $5,888,960-$7,851,948: First, second, and third round picks

Over $7,851,948-$9,814,935: Two firsts, second, and third round picks

Over $9,814,935: Four first round picks

Remember that the denominator is the lesser of the number of years in the offer sheet or five.  For example, a seven year, $40.95 million offer sheet would be a $5.85 million AAV (1st and 3rd rounders) but for offer sheet purposes, would count as $8.19 million ($40.95M/5) which would fall in the two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd category.

6 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I would give $9.8M a year to Leon Draisaitl and deal with the consequences later.

That's pretty much what I've been saying for the past couple of weeks.  I can't see edm matching since mcdavid will need to be paid more.  They also have lucic, Hopkins and Ederle (who will probably be dumped), that are signed to big deals and will need to re-up their D and talbot.  I'd also see if they have any interest 

in Price for draisatl, talbot and klefbom.

33 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That's pretty much what I've been saying for the past couple of weeks.  I can't see edm matching since mcdavid will need to be paid more.  They also have lucic, Hopkins and Ederle (who will probably be dumped), that are signed to big deals and will need to re-up their D and talbot.  I'd also see if they have any interest 

in Price for draisatl, talbot and klefbom.

Why would Edmonton do that, exactly?  They're quite pleased with Talbot at the moment and while Price is certainly an upgrade, he's not worth a top liner and a #2/3 defenceman on top of Talbot...especially when Price is a year from free agency.  That deal would make no sense for them.

On the offer sheet side, the second round pick range is quite intriguing.  A $3.9 million offer sheet that only costs a second could potentially yield an interesting player if the right (cap-strapped) team was targeted.

59 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

How about Weber and Shaw for Klefbom Draisaitl? Would such to not have a number 1 defenseman though .

I'd so that without hesitation, but I can't think of any other GM who would feel Shaw's contract is worth trading for.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Why would Edmonton do that, exactly?  They're quite pleased with Talbot at the moment and while Price is certainly an upgrade, he's not worth a top liner and a #2/3 defenceman on top of Talbot...especially when Price is a year from free agency.  That deal would make no sense for them.

On the offer sheet side, the second round pick range is quite intriguing.  A $3.9 million offer sheet that only costs a second could potentially yield an interesting player if the right (cap-strapped) team was targeted.

I don't think Chiarrelli would go for it - I think he may have last year.  But that would be the courtesy offer if make to him before offer sheeting Draisaitl.

I love the bold thinking around here of late. IMHO the only way this team wins within its window is if the GM really thinks outside the box and makes dramatic moves. However, I seriously doubt that Team Fuddy-Duddy has the imagination to pull it off. It's just too 'tough.'

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I love the bold thinking around here of late. IMHO the only way this team wins within its window is if the GM really thinks outside the box and makes dramatic moves. However, I seriously doubt that Team Fuddy-Duddy has the imagination to pull it off. It's just too 'tough.'

That should be the Habs new motto - "this is a tough game, so why bother trying". While the Habs have never hung any stupid division, conference or presidents trophy banners, under MB, maybe they will start handing out participation awards and hanging "at least we played" banners for each year of losing.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That should be the Habs new motto - "this is a tough game, so why bother trying". While the Habs have never hung any stupid division, conference or presidents trophy banners, under MB, maybe they will start handing out participation awards and hanging "at least we played" banners for each year of losing.

If Scotty Bowman did that, he would have 19 Loser banners (as a playoff team coach, many more loser banners if add in his mgmt. role).

58 minutes ago, DON said:

If Scotty Bowman did that, he would have 19 Loser banners (as a playoff team coach, many more loser banners if add in his mgmt. role).

It's the Montreal Canadiens who have not hung anything but cup banners - because that is all that has mattered in the past - before the Houle/Tremblay dark ages started.  Now we are in the era of excuses and whining by the GM of how hard of a job he has.

I've bee in NYC for the past  1 1/2 weeks, so have to watch NBC.  My god, how is Mike Milbury a main Analyst???  It is painful to listen to his gibberish, with the other clown (Keith Jones??)

53 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I've bee in NYC for the past  1 1/2 weeks, so have to watch NBC.  My god, how is Mike Milbury a main Analyst???  It is painful to listen to his gibberish, with the other clown (Keith Jones??)

I think they're trying to match more abrasive personalities from Canada like Don Cherry, PJ Stock, or Glen Healy. Keith Jones is the "straight man" of the broadcast. It's actually pretty good coverage compared with the smaller/medium sized markets in the US. The Bruins have excellent coverage, but the rest of the league, especially teams under Fox Sports, are really struggling. Arizona, Dallas, and Columbus have coverage in the same league as the CHL.

4 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I think they're trying to match more abrasive personalities from Canada like Don Cherry, PJ Stock, or Glen Healy. Keith Jones is the "straight man" of the broadcast. It's actually pretty good coverage compared with the smaller/medium sized markets in the US. The Bruins have excellent coverage, but the rest of the league, especially teams under Fox Sports, are really struggling. Arizona, Dallas, and Columbus have coverage in the same league as the CHL.

I give you that they have wall to wall coverage, but you only have to put up with Cherry for 2 or minutes.  That baboon Milbury is on throughout the friggin broadcast.  I drove around NYC a lot today and was listening to the NHL Satellite radio during the day.  ALL day long they were talking about Subban.  It was pretty funny.  If some of the folks here who complain about the Suban-Weber trade still being talked about on the forum listened to the broadcast, they'd probably slit their wrist.  Almost every conversation led to some mention or discussion about Subban.

Former Montreal assistant coach Clement Jodoin signed a one year deal to be an assistant with Eisbaren Berlin of the DEL.  (It was reported earlier that it's not expected that the Habs will replace him.) 

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Former Montreal assistant coach Clement Jodoin signed a one year deal to be an assistant with Eisbaren Berlin of the DEL.  (It was reported earlier that it's not expected that the Habs will replace him.) 

thank god we didn't fire him, being so valuable and all. Could we maybe encourage some of the other jerks to hit the road? We won't need to replace their useless asses either.

17 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I give you that they have wall to wall coverage, but you only have to put up with Cherry for 2 or minutes.  That baboon Milbury is on throughout the friggin broadcast.  I drove around NYC a lot today and was listening to the NHL Satellite radio during the day.  ALL day long they were talking about Subban.  It was pretty funny.  If some of the folks here who complain about the Suban-Weber trade still being talked about on the forum listened to the broadcast, they'd probably slit their wrist.  Almost every conversation led to some mention or discussion about Subban.

Yep. Milbury is the big star, and Pierre is on during the games. It infuriates many.

On 5/28/2017 at 2:26 PM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I would give $9.8M a year to Leon Draisaitl and deal with the consequences later.

The KHL is in dire straits according to the main board. Got to be a lot of people looking for a pay check next year. I think we can do a lot better with 10M. The ball is clearly in MB's court.

We are seriously talking about giving Draisaitl upwards of $10m? I don't know about you guys but there are only a handful of guys getting that money, and in my opinion he is nowhere near that proven in his career at this point. And I wouldn't dare gamble on that when you consider the draft picks compensation involved

• dlbalr unpinned this topic