2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yep, no shots for Crosby, Malkin and kessel didn't get one until his breakaway with a minute left and another unit on.  Team Canada's brain trust was dead on about subban.  He is way too high risk to be trusted in a big game!

and another classic subban moment with Crosby at the end of the game.  But I bet if he made the listerint comment as a Hab, that probably would have pissed off MB

:lol:

But if Brent Burns or one of those other Old-Boy-Approved guys said it, hey, it'd prove what a card he is

Two statement wins in Nashville. Pittsburgh played a tight game too.

Two days off will be interesting. Will the Preds lose steam or will they just keep rolling? It's a best of three now. If the Pens take game five, they ain't taking game six. It'll go right back to Pittsburgh for game seven. But if the Predators win game five, they seal the Cup on home ice.

Pittsburgh has come to play tonight, they're up 4-0 early in the 2nd and Rinne's on the bench already.  With two days off between Games 4 and 5 plus playing only one period in this one, he'll be plenty rested for Game 6.

59 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Pittsburgh has come to play tonight, they're up 4-0 early in the 2nd and Rinne's on the bench already.  With two days off between Games 4 and 5 plus playing only one period in this one, he'll be plenty rested for Game 6.

Preds in 7

It's going to depend which Rinne shows up.  They have to win one in Pittsburgh.  They should have won at least one of the first two, now the preds really have their backs against the wall, because unlike the first two games that they lost because of Rinne, tonight the entire team laid an egg.

the refereeing was a joke again. Can she me one tell me how Subban and Crosby both got two minutes for roughing when Crosby had at least 5 head shots at Subban when he was on top of him?  If the situation was reversed you can bet Subban probably would have gotten the double minor, or even been thrown out.  Crosby bunching away at Subban was as bad as Marchand on Sedin in 2011.

late in the game before the pens scored, Crosby throws a water bottle at a preds player and again no call. Their should have been a penalty and no goal.  The NHL is truly a garbage league like ironically enough to the pens Mario Lemieux once said.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

the refereeing was a joke again. Can she me one tell me how Subban and Crosby both got two minutes for roughing when Crosby had at least 5 head shots at Subban when he was on top of him?  If the situation was reversed you can bet Subban probably would have gotten the double minor, or even been thrown out.  Crosby bunching away at Subban was as bad as Marchand on Sedin in 2011.

They both got holding calls. I know it is hard for you to imagine Subban doing anything wrong, but he was bear hugging both of Crosby's legs so he couldn't get up. And yes, I would take that bet that if the roles were reversed Subban would have been thrown out, just name the dollar amount. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, illWill said:

They both got holding calls. I know it is hard for you to imagine Subban doing anything wrong, but he was bear hugging both of Crosby's legs so he couldn't get up. And yes, I would take that bet that if the roles were reversed Subban would have been thrown out, just name the dollar amount. 

So you are saying it's okay to punch someone 6 or 7 times in the head if they are being held (even if the players head is banging on the ice ice because they are being punched)?  You also agree that it is okay to punch someone repeatedley in the head it should called a holding penalty.

Gotcha.  Didn't know that was how the rule book interpreted a play like that.  I guess it's geniuses like you who end up being refs.

I wonder why laviolette disagrees with your brilliant analysis.  I know he is biased, but despite the risk of a fine, he still challenged the brilliant job the officials you are in such agreement with.

And yes, given the rhetoric around head shots and concussions, I'd bet a $1000 that if the situations were reversed and Subban repeatedly punched Crosby so his head was hitting the ice he'd be tossed.

• Upvote 1

Oh come on Sidney Crosby is one of the most abused players in the league while on the ice.

Subban is not too worried about the confrontation and said so afterwards. He is a guy that likes to tow the line and takes it like a man.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scott462 said:

Oh come on Sidney Crosby is one of the most abused players in the league while on the ice.

Subban is not too worried about the confrontation and said so afterwards. He is a guy that likes to tow the line and takes it like a man.

Sure Subban said it was okay, do you think Crosby would have said the same if the roles were reversed??  No arguement that Crosby takes a lot of abuse - but he gets away with a lot more than most players do.  Do you think if methot had taken off part of crosby's finger, he wouldn't have been suspended?

even Friedman on the radio said this morning that Crosby should have been penalized on both plays.  The tv announcers even said the 5th goal shouldn't have counted because Crosby should have been penalized.

• Upvote 1

Crosby should have got the extra two for that. Ultimately though it's on the refs. They let things go for so long and if you can get away with holding the stick or sitting on a star for extended periods, you're going to keep doing it. Until someone says eff this, I'm going to do something about it. Calling attention to the constant mugging. 

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Sure Subban said it was okay, do you think Crosby would have said the same if the roles were reversed??  No arguement that Crosby takes a lot of abuse - but he gets away with a lot more than most players do.  Do you think if methot had taken off part of crosby's finger, he wouldn't have been suspended?

even Friedman on the radio said this morning that Crosby should have been penalized on both plays.  The tv announcers even said the 5th goal shouldn't have counted because Crosby should have been penalized.

I think Crosby would of said the same thing he said when he was concussed against Washington.

I don't know if he would of been suspended but he could of gotten a penalty for sure and so should of Crosby but there are a lot of things the refs miss.

58 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I think Crosby would of said the same thing he said when he was concussed against Washington.

I don't know if he would of been suspended but he could of gotten a penalty for sure and so should of Crosby but there are a lot of things the refs miss.

For a guy who has his concussion history and whines as much as he does, his actions were inexcusable.  Frankly, if that's the way he treats his opposition, I really don't care anymore if he has another major concussion.  Most guys who had serious concussions, don't pull that kind of shit.

of course, for those of you who think like or support mike milbury, I'm sure you'll agree with his take.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/sidney-crosby-makes-it-hard-to-root-for-sidney-crosby

NHL reffing is a farce, riddled with arbitrariness and double-standards - and it's especially egregious in the playoffs, where, suddenly, "letting them play the game" means massive and continuous violations of straightforward rules.

Nothing new here.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Crosby said he should have been penalized on the water bottle "slip" so ipso facto he agrees 5th should have been called back

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

NHL reffing is a farce, riddled with arbitrariness and double-standards - and it's especially egregious in the playoffs, where, suddenly, "letting them play the game" means massive and continuous violations of straightforward rules.

Nothing new here.

You are right, the refs last night are the same ones who "let them play" every game they ref. They wonder why things get out of hand, maybe they  should pay attention and call the forking penalties.

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So you are saying it's okay to punch someone 6 or 7 times in the head if they are being held (even if the players head is banging on the ice ice because they are being punched)?  You also agree that it is okay to punch someone repeatedley in the head it should called a holding penalty.

Gotcha.  Didn't know that was how the rule book interpreted a play like that.  I guess it's geniuses like you who end up being refs.

I wonder why laviolette disagrees with your brilliant analysis.  I know he is biased, but despite the risk of a fine, he still challenged the brilliant job the officials you are in such agreement with.

And yes, given the rhetoric around head shots and concussions, I'd bet a $1000 that if the situations were reversed and Subban repeatedly punched Crosby so his head was hitting the ice he'd be tossed.

If you could point out somewhere in my post where I said it's okay to punch someone in the head that would be great. Perhaps people would take you more seriously if you replied to actual words written and not made up ones. If you watch the clip it clearly shows Crosby with his hand already on his helmet and he was pushing it down trying to separate himself, he wasn't even punching him. I agree that it shouldn't have been a holding penalty on Crosby, it should have been roughing. Not like it actually matters what it was called though. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, illWill said:

If you could point out somewhere in my post where I said it's okay to punch someone in the head that would be great. Perhaps people would take you more seriously if you replied to actual words written and not made up ones. If you watch the clip it clearly shows Crosby with his hand already on his helmet and he was pushing it down trying to separate himself, he wasn't even punching him. I agree that it shouldn't have been a holding penalty on Crosby, it should have been roughing. Not like it actually matters what it was called though. 

He was clearly smashing his head on the ice repeatedly.  There could have been a very serious injury-  which every friggin commentator or columnist has pointed out - even the most steadfast Crosby supporters.  Most also said that at a minimum Crosby should have gotten an extra penalty.   I suppose by your idiotic logic, if Crosby already had his hands on Subban's neck, it would be okay to choke him to death to get Subban to let go of his legs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Crosby is also allowed to throw a waterbottle on the ice from the bench and nothing happens.  Anyone else and thats a suspension. 

Hey, he didn't mean too. - he's after all the golden boy!  It was like Ference's equipment malfunction - after all a solid Canadian boy who is a bruin would never really give the finger to habs fans!!

• Upvote 1

Crosby's the best. Other than when he faces the :habslogo:

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Crosby is also allowed to throw a waterbottle on the ice from the bench and nothing happens.  Anyone else and thats a suspension. 

Even Sidney said it should have been a penalty. But the 2 guys with CSS disease missed it.  (can't See Shit)

Bummer.

They're young, though - except for Rinne, who they can't completely count on.

I know Pits was missing Letang, but the loss of Johansen was a cruel blow that killed them in the end.

Nice to see former Habs in Streit and Hainsey lift the Cup for the first time. For Hainsey he must think these playoffs are pretty easy as he is now 1 for 1. If only he could of gotten in all those years previous. 

A pretty good final but not a great way to end it for Nashville by getting shutout in two straight.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic