2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Bummer.

They're young, though - except for Rinne, who they can't completely count on.

I know Pits was missing Letang, but the loss of Johansen was a cruel blow that killed them in the end.

Big difference though was that their GM picked up quality depth on D.  Hainsey who the habs stupidly lost on waivers around 15 years ago was terrific.  Streit while not the Streit that was great in his last year was a quality depth pickup.  Unlike the garbage depth that MB continuously trades for.

The loss of Johansen was evident tonight, but i also thought that other than when Subban was on the ice, the Preds were horrible in getting the puck out of their zone.  I think part of it may have been the Ellis injury, but the other 2 D pairings were horrible in clearing the puck tonight - I think that was a major difference.

I do think that Subban woke up Crosby by milking the listerine comment, but other than games 4 and 5, I don't think Crosby was the MVP.  Last year there is no way he deserved the Conn Smythe over Kessel.

• Upvote 1

Thank the great pumpkin that is over with. NOW let's get on with the wheeling and dealing. I have been bored since Habs got ousted now let's see what mark down Markie an come up with.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Nice to see former Habs in Streit and Hainsey lift the Cup for the first time. For Hainsey he must think these playoffs are pretty easy as he is now 1 for 1. If only he could of gotten in all those years previous. 

A pretty good final but not a great way to end it for Nashville by getting shutout in two straight.

I'm happy for Hainsey in particular, since he is a guy who seems to have been black-balled by owners, for his role in the NHLPA. I thought for a bottom pairing guy he looked better than our 2nd pairing Dmen.

• Upvote 2

I was at home but I missed the game. :bonk:Makes me wonder about Ottawa and how they took the Pens to game 7 double OT.

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

When Ottawa scored goals, the Refs didn't #### them over. 

Intent to blow the whistle is the worst rule of all-time. 

I agree with you commandant but in this case, he actually blew the whistle. You can hear it on the replay. He lost sight of the puck thought that Murray had it and blew the whistle.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Big difference though was that their GM picked up quality depth on D.  Hainsey who the habs stupidly lost on waivers around 15 years ago was terrific.  Streit while not the Streit that was great in his last year was a quality depth pickup.  Unlike the garbage depth that MB continuously trades for.

The loss of Johansen was evident tonight, but i also thought that other than when Subban was on the ice, the Preds were horrible in getting the puck out of their zone.  I think part of it may have been the Ellis injury, but the other 2 D pairings were horrible in clearing the puck tonight - I think that was a major difference.

I do think that Subban woke up Crosby by milking the listerine comment, but other than games 4 and 5, I don't think Crosby was the MVP.  Last year there is no way he deserved the Conn Smythe over Kessel.

Just for fun why don't you try writing a post--on any hockey subject-- that doesn't include a jab at Bergevin? We all already know that you think he is an idiot, not fit to carry Trader Sam's brief case. 

• Upvote 2

Its awesome to see sid win again. Generational player. One of the best complete players ever. He can do it all. Battle, score, skate, corner work, pass. Just awesome to see him get another one. 

7 hours ago, habs rule said:

Thank the great pumpkin that is over with. NOW let's get on with the wheeling and dealing. I have been bored since Habs got ousted now let's see what mark down Markie an come up with.

That's pretty much my thought as well.  I usually have interest in the SCF but I had next to none for this one.  There's the potential for a lot of movement in the coming days before the protection lists are due.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm happy for Hainsey in particular, since he is a guy who seems to have been black-balled by owners, for his role in the NHLPA. I thought for a bottom pairing guy he looked better than our 2nd pairing Dmen.

Hainsey's still a second pairing blueliner (or close to it) - that was a really good pickup for them.  It'll be interesting to see where he lands in free agency.  (Streit on the other hand was a healthy scratch 21 times on a team that was dying for defensive help which says something - I think his market will be a lot more limited now.)  Still, good job by Rutherford to add some decent depth - they certainly needed it.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

When Ottawa scored goals, the Refs didn't #### them over. 

Intent to blow the whistle is the worst rule of all-time. 

Ottawa's goalie didn't play 3 crap games and Karlsson was MUCH better than Crosby.

9 hours ago, Habsfan84 said:

A pretty good final but not a great way to end it for Nashville by getting shutout in two straight.

I guess they need to add a puck-moving d-man this off-season? <_<

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, habs rule said:

Yes seemed like would never end and now should be very interesting next couple weeks.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

-streit was a better pick up then benn? hardly...

-both teams had there injuries but more so pitts. johansen was definitly a loss but he did get to play 2.5 of the 4 series at least.

-i believe all of the preds D struggled against an aggressive 2 man forecheck and D holding the offensive blue line "including Subban" who resorted to dumping and flipping the puck over on most occasions. i can count numerous times PK's outlet pass was blocked deflected or turned over as well... not saying he played any better or any worse. but i definitly dont think he can be excluded from the defense who all seemed to struggle at times moving the puck out of their zone.

-who would of thought pK's antics wake up the best player in hockey...it wasnt just the listerine i though it was more so when pk was bear hunging his skate and sid was tapping on his noggin that he said enough is enough with this guy...

A few things.

1) Yes, everyone wants to copy the team that just won.  However you can't copy the Penguins.  You can't get the best player of his generation and another top 5 centre in the NHL.  Thats just not a blueprint that you can copy. 

2) The argument that Subban woke up Crosby is really, really, really stupid.  Seriously, it is incredibly stupid. 

In order to believe that narrative, you have to believe that Crosby wasn't giving 100% in the Stanley Cup Final.   Also you have to believe he is more motivated by a chirp than by the chance to win the Stanley Cup.  I'm sorry, but that is dumb.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A few things.

1) Yes, everyone wants to copy the team that just won.  However you can't copy the Penguins.  You can't get the best player of his generation and another top 5 centre in the NHL.  Thats just not a blueprint that you can copy. 

Edmonton with McDavid/Draisaitl and Toronto with Matthews/Marner is pretty close.

This was however a series Nashville could have won with two goals allowed that were disallowed and Rinne not being exposed in three of six games. Nashville just didn't have the up front firepower anymore to combat it. They should be right back in the final four next year. I'd be shocked if they weren't.

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A few things.

2) The argument that Subban woke up Crosby is really, really, really stupid.  Seriously, it is incredibly stupid. 

In order to believe that narrative, you have to believe that Crosby wasn't giving 100% in the Stanley Cup Final.   Also you have to believe he is more motivated by a chirp than by the chance to win the Stanley Cup.  I'm sorry, but that is dumb.  

Are you forgett how Crosby suddenly went from looking like he was washed up last year to being an MVP immediately after the coaching change.  The penguins looked like they were going to miss the playoffs, before the change and immidiately became world beaters.  

Hey, I'm one of the biggest Subban fans there is, and have only been really critical of him twice - the first time when he said that his job isn't to score goals.  He probably didn't mean it like it came out, but as a leader, you can't say something like that. Crosby was pretty much neutralized during the finals and I thought he was also badly outplayed by Karlsson in the previous round.  He also seemed to really be irritated bob he media questions about the Subban bad breath comments and with the extra days off between games, I think it helped refocus him.  Subban didn't just chirp him, it was the continuous play up with the media that I think went too far.  I think that's also why the preds stopped making him available to the media.

1 hour ago, DON said:

I guess they need to add a puck-moving d-man this off-season? <_<

More like another centre.  I'm sure our GM would be happy to trade galchenyuk for fisher and than you can be happy to see Carrie underwood on a regular basis.

55 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Oddly enough it was the lack of a #1 centre after Ryan Johansen went down to injury. 

It's amazing they won the previous round with centres worse than ours and thoroughly outplayed the pens for the first four games with fisher as their top centre.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Edmonton with McDavid/Draisaitl and Toronto with Matthews/Marner is pretty close.

This was however a series Nashville could have won with two goals allowed that were disallowed and Rinne not being exposed in three of six games. Nashville just didn't have the up front firepower anymore to combat it. They should be right back in the final four next year. I'd be shocked if they weren't.

I dont think draisatl is near as good as malkin.

I also dont think the leafs duo.compares to crosby/malkin.

Can those.teams win? Yes.  But not without a d the way the pens did without letang.  Not with conor sheary and jake guentzel on the top line

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont think draisatl is near as good as malkin.

I also dont think the leafs duo.compares to crosby/malkin.

Can those.teams win? Yes.  But not without a d the way the pens did without letang.  Not with conor sheary and jake guentzel on the top line

Even Getzlaf-Kessler can compete with the leafs and Edmonton duo, an in fact they did with the latter two these playoffs. Kessler is a little bit of a different breed but he's still up there in the league when it comes to centers.

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Are you forgett how Crosby suddenly went from looking like he was washed up last year to being an MVP immediately after the coaching change.  The penguins looked like they were going to miss the playoffs, before the change and immidiately became world beaters.  

Hey, I'm one of the biggest Subban fans there is, and have only been really critical of him twice - the first time when he said that his job isn't to score goals.  He probably didn't mean it like it came out, but as a leader, you can't say something like that. Crosby was pretty much neutralized during the finals and I thought he was also badly outplayed by Karlsson in the previous round.  He also seemed to really be irritated bob he media questions about the Subban bad breath comments and with the extra days off between games, I think it helped refocus him.  Subban didn't just chirp him, it was the continuous play up with the media that I think went too far.  I think that's also why the preds stopped making him available to the media.

Regular season isnt the cup finals.

But sure if you want to believe Crosby's play in the series was due to the chirp thats fine.

I think it had nothing to do with effort and everything to.do.with small adjustments on how he attacked the preds d.  He tried all series long. 

He had 3 points in game 1

He had 0.points in game 6

Doesnt really fit the narrative that he was sleeping til subban chirped him

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

But sure if you want to believe Crosby's play in the series was due to the chirp thats fine.

I think it had nothing to do with effort and everything to.do.with small adjustments on how he attacked the preds d.  He tried all series long. 

Crosby got 3 points in game 1 because Rinne couldn't stop a beachball in that game.  He was much better last night and the last 3 games of the series than the first 4.  Malkin also was amazing last night, even though his production total doesn't show it.

Guest Stogey24
43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Best player in the game, no question. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic