2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Lol at subban vs Weber. 

Thank GOD MB didn't hire boucher. Most boring crap hockey ever. 2 scoring chances and two goals on seeing sure shots. Total luck they won tonight. Worst team in the playoffs and I will be very surprised if they don't regress next season. 

This is what Guy Boucher does, he comes in, gets a ton out of his roster and inplements a hermetic system. And it works for about 1.5-2.5 seasons. His problem is that he never stops coaching. If you look at him on the bench, he's moving around non-stop, always making a face, and players eventually tune him out.

5 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I didn't tell anyone what to talk about. But trying to spin that boucher made Karlsson great after he won two Norris trophies and 4 nominations is total silliness. If you guys want to prattle on about how the habs would be going to the final if hey kept subban, be my guest. There is a lot of use of the term "narrative" used in this site lately. You guys spin your narratives all you want. I find it entertaining. Unlike boucher hockey. 

I didn't say he mad had great.  He has become a more well rounded and a complete player.  And that's not me saying that - listen to the Elliote Friedman interviews on the Fan 590 site.  He said last year the sens players were upset that Karlsson didn't get the norris despite the offensive year had and that the talk around the league was that last year the talk around me the league was that they should get a different trophy for an offensive dmen.  He went on to say that Karlsson bought into Boucher's system and sacrificed a lot of his offensive game to become much more defensively  responsible.   He said that a lot of Ottawa players said that after Karlsson didn't get the Norris last year, they would be upset if Burns was on it this year based on his offense.  This is back when Burns was still on a tear.

during the playoffs, in the playoffs rangers series, Friedman again brought up the transformation of Karlsson and how he is carrying the Sens on his back.

so it's not men who is saying this about Karlsson it's the most respected hockey writer in the game today.  Other analysts have also commented on the change in Karlssons overall game this year.  But I doubt it f you heard it when with your head up your ass.

51 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

This is what Guy Boucher does, he comes in, gets a ton out of his roster and inplements a hermetic system. And it works for about 1.5-2.5 seasons. His problem is that he never stops coaching. If you look at him on the bench, he's moving around non-stop, always making a face, and players eventually tune him out.

That's an over generalization for a guy in his 2nd NHL job.  I think he's probably learned something since his first stint as an NHL coach.  He's probably the first coach to ever get "can't spell intensity" bobby Ryan play a much more physical and drive to the net game.  Read Ryan's article in the players tribune.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

You're putting words in people's mouths. 

I haven't seen one person say that the Habs would be in the final if they kept subban. 

I have seen that the theory that this is a trade that the Habs would win short term and the Preds long term is all shot here.  The Predators haven't suffered at all short term, they got better.  And they still have the defenceman who is five years younger. 

I also see people pointing out that Nashville isn't missing Weber's leadership, and saying that Subban is not so much of a cancer in the room as was stated previously. 

I also see people saying that Subban is playing against other team's top lines all playoffs. (Toews, Getzlaf, Tarasenko)

This isn't to say that Montreal would win with Subban. 

But this is to say that all the justifications that were used on this trade (win now, character and leadership, defensive liability) have all been shot to shreds. 

The best thing you can say about this trade is that its a lateral move in talent, and the Habs got 4 years older.  

100% agree.  And I'll add two points.  First that the coach that was chosen over Subban, and couldn't stand subban since he's days as a lousy loud mouthed analyst didn't last the season, despite getting the mark messier trophy winner to replace Subban.

Second, Toews who tweeted he was happy not to have to face Weber again, was completely shut-down 5 on 5  by Subban.  So the narrative that his NHL establishment about Subban not being good defensively is crap, as is the whole "man mountain" and mythic leader view of weber.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

You're putting words in people's mouths. 

I haven't seen one person say that the Habs would be in the final if they kept subban. 

I have seen that the theory that this is a trade that the Habs would win short term and the Preds long term is all shot here.  The Predators haven't suffered at all short term, they got better.  And they still have the defenceman who is five years younger. 

I also see people pointing out that Nashville isn't missing Weber's leadership, and saying that Subban is not so much of a cancer in the room as was stated previously. 

I also see people saying that Subban is playing against other team's top lines all playoffs. (Toews, Getzlaf, Tarasenko)

This isn't to say that Montreal would win with Subban. 

But this is to say that all the justifications that were used on this trade (win now, character and leadership, defensive liability) have all been shot to shreds. 

The best thing you can say about this trade is that its a lateral move in talent, and the Habs got 4 years older.  

Terrific post. 

At some point, the defenders of this trade are going to have to face reality. Right now they are in total denial.

1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I will be surprised if it lasts that long. Not to say it's all boucher coaching. It's the team too, but I just think that this sens team is going to revert back to the norm next year. You can't consistently get dominated in possession and shots against. Eventually it catches up to you and those bounces work against you. 

12 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I will be surprised if it lasts that long. Not to say it's all boucher coaching. It's the team too, but I just think that this sens team is going to revert back to the norm next year. You can't consistently get dominated in possession and shots against. Eventually it catches up to you and those bounces work against you. 

Trust me, I would love the Sens in the final against Nashville. That's as close to a Cup guarantee as you can get. Laviolette knows the Boucher trap and uses a trap himself to create offensive breakouts. Ottawa has limited firepower easy to shut down, their goaltending is shaky, and Nashville would have no trouble playing on the road. I would put money on that series.

Pittsburgh will always scare me. 

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Trust me, I would love the Sens in the final against Nashville. That's as close to a Cup guarantee as you can get. Laviolette knows the Boucher trap and uses a trap himself to create offensive breakouts. Ottawa has limited firepower easy to shut down, their goaltending is shaky, and Nashville would have no trouble playing on the road. I would put money on that series.

Pittsburgh will always scare me. 

I'd rather have the preds play the Sens as well.  there is no way a team with Malkin,Crosby and Kessel should be playing a seventh game against the Sens - even despite having a depleted lineup on the blue line.

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Terrific post. 

At some point, the defenders of this trade are going to have to face reality. Right now they are in total denial.

What am I in denial about sir? I like Weber he was great for us, him and Carey are a great team. The only thing concerning is the age difference.

25 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

What am I in denial about sir? I like Weber he was great for us, him and Carey are a great team. The only thing concerning is the age difference.

What was the point of the trade, though? How did it help the Habs?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Terrific post. 

The same people that are in favor of the trade always support management no matter what.

7 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

The same people that are in favor of the trade always support management no matter what.

In no way do I think of this trade as a disaster on the scale of the Roy trade. But it is interesting to ask whether these RAH RAH fans would have been on the internet - had there been an internet - in 1995-96 defending Houle for that deal as well. 'We got back a great young goalie in Thibault! I love Ruscinsky's skill! Tremblay's old school coaching is what this team needs!' Etc. It's all too easy to imagine some of these Bergevin-boosters doing that...

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That's an over generalization for a guy in his 2nd NHL job.  I think he's probably learned something since his first stint as an NHL coach.  He's probably the first coach to ever get "can't spell intensity" bobby Ryan play a much more physical and drive to the net game.  Read Ryan's article in the players tribune.

Is Ryan playing better or just doing the Rene Bourque playoff hot streak?

His regular season was the worst of his career.

What I don't understand is how people don't realize that Subban and Weber will have different impacts on their respective teams.

When the trade happened, I hated it. As I learned more about the situation (still before last season) I saw how it could have been a win-win for both teams. I still support that notion and believe in it very much. Those who worry about Weber and Subban's respective futures to make a point, suffer from anxiety. Those who say it's a win now are only partially right. Weber played better than Subban for

much of the season. He was also our best player in the playoffs and Subban has been one of Nashville's better players as well, but I wouldn't say best. Make of that what you will. 

Nashville genuinely has a deeper team than the Habs both on offense as well as defense. People thought this was the case even before the trade. At least I did. I've been watching and Subban has just been a piece of the puzzle. On the Habs, I couldn't envision him being just a piece of the puzzle because we need him more than Nashville does (we also need Weber more than Nashville does). There's no doubt that he tried to do much on our team. That's not a slight on Subban because he had to, but it's still true. 

The same analysis can be used with Nashville. The best argument I can see is that perhaps it's true that Nashville relied too much on Weber similar to how the Habs relied too much on Subban. The trade changed the identity of our team for that reason. Seemingly, however, the Habs still rely heavily on Weber, but Nashville doesn't need to rely so heavily on Subban. Again, not a slight against him.

It's easy to look at Nashville in the final and say that they've won the trade but I can guarantee you that I personally would not have made the opposite claim if the Habs went further than Nashville because there's no I in team.  I still would have thought of it as a win-win. I'm assuming if we made the cup final, players like Lehkonen, Pacioretty and Price would have also had to have stepped up

to the plate.

Subban does have a personality that rubbed some people the wrong way and people seem to dismiss that as being because of the coach. Similar to how Habs29 has argued that Boucher may have learned something after his first stint as coach and then getting fired, it would surprise me very little if Subban learned from getting traded. Subban has also said that Nashville has worked with him and supported him with his off ice endeavors, since he does have many interests off ice. Montreal could have done a better job of this with him but on the other hand, he's only been in Nashville for one season and let's see how things play out in that regard the longer their relationship lasts. If they do win this year, I'm sure that will

be much easier ?

As for Montreal, our power play sucked for years. We went from 25th in the league to 13th and Weber had the second most goals by a defenseman In the league. Does that answer the question as to one of the ways the trade made our team better now? Or was our power play better because of all the power play assists Price had now that Condon was out? If this isn't a positive from the trade, then some other people are in denial.

Finally, as for the comment that those who defend the trade, which is not even what I consider myself to be doing are only those who support management, this is not the case. Look who Bergevin acquired to help our power play two seasons ago: Semin and Kassian. Look how stupid those moves turned out to be and I called him out when he let his own two acquisitions(mistakes?) go before the new year. Either way you look at it, that turned out to be terrible GMing in my opinion.

This trade has its positive elements,  including the fact that it helped our power play. No, I'm not arguing that it was the only reason we made the trade. Subban can be dangerous on the power play as well but it you watch Nashville, he's getting all the assists. On Montreal, we had him blasting from the point and it became ineffective because he would fire wide or other teams would swarm him. For whatever reason, I had more confidence in Weber getting the shot through to the net on our power play, although I would have liked a little

more shots from him on the PP in the playoffs. On Montreal, it would have been hard for Subban to be the assist man on the power play because we don't have a Ryan Ellis.

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In no way do I think of this trade as a disaster on the scale of the Roy trade. But it is interesting to ask whether these RAH RAH fans would have been on the internet - had there been an internet - in 1995-96 defending Houle for that deal as well. 'We got back a great young goalie in Thibault! I love Ruscinsky's skill! Tremblay's old school coaching is what this team needs!' Etc. It's all too easy to imagine some of these Bergevin-boosters doing that...

I defended the Roy trade.

I was like 10, but there was a lot of talk that Roy was washed up, and allowing 9 goals to Detroit looked to prove that. The return sounded what you want for any star player. Thibault was a first round pick goalie. Kovalenko was a young power forward. Rucinsky would move into the top six immediately. It sounded like the team would be immediately better with the trade.

Then the Habs got bounced by the Rangers in six and everything changed. Wait am I talking about 1996 or 2017

35 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

What I don't understand is how people don't realize that Subban and Weber will have different impacts on their respective teams.

When the trade happened, I hated it. As I learned more about the situation (still before last season) I saw how it could have been a win-win for both teams. I still support that notion and believe in it very much. Those who worry about Weber and Subban's respective futures to make a point, suffer from anxiety. Those who say it's a win now are only partially right. Weber played better than Subban for

much of the season. He was also our best player in the playoffs and Subban has been one of Nashville's better players as well, but I wouldn't say best. Make of that what you will. 

Nashville genuinely has a deeper team than the Habs both on offense as well as defense. People thought this was the case even before the trade. At least I did. I've been watching and Subban has just been a piece of the puzzle. On the Habs, I couldn't envision him being just a piece of the puzzle because we need him more than Nashville does (we also need Weber more than Nashville does). There's no doubt that he tried to do much on our team. That's not a slight on Subban because he had to, but it's still true. 

The same analysis can be used with Nashville. The best argument I can see is that perhaps it's true that Nashville relied too much on Weber similar to how the Habs relied too much on Subban. The trade changed the identity of our team for that reason. Seemingly, however, the Habs still rely heavily on Weber, but Nashville doesn't need to rely so heavily on Subban. Again, not a slight against him.

It's easy to look at Nashville in the final and say that they've won the trade but I can guarantee you that I personally would not have made the opposite claim if the Habs went further than Nashville because there's no I in team.  I still would have thought of it as a win-win. I'm assuming if we made the cup final, players like Lehkonen, Pacioretty and Price would have also had to have stepped up

to the plate.

Subban does have a personality that rubbed some people the wrong way and people seem to dismiss that as being because of the coach. Similar to how Habs29 has argued that Boucher may have learned something after his first stint as coach and then getting fired, it would surprise me very little if Subban learned from getting traded. Subban has also said that Nashville has worked with him and supported him with his off ice endeavors, since he does have many interests off ice. Montreal could have done a better job of this with him but on the other hand, he's only been in Nashville for one season and let's see how things play out in that regard the longer their relationship lasts. If they do win this year, I'm sure that will

be much easier ?

As for Montreal, our power play sucked for years. We went from 25th in the league to 13th and Weber had the second most goals by a defenseman In the league. Does that answer the question as to one of the ways the trade made our team better now? Or was our power play better because of all the power play assists Price had now that Condon was out? If this isn't a positive from the trade, then some other people are in denial.

Finally, as for the comment that those who defend the trade, which is not even what I consider myself to be doing are only those who support management, this is not the case. Look who Bergevin acquired to help our power play two seasons ago: Semin and Kassian. Look how stupid those moves turned out to be and I called him out when he let his own two acquisitions(mistakes?) go before the new year. Either way you look at it, that turned out to be terrible GMing in my opinion.

This trade has its positive elements,  including the fact that it helped our power play. No, I'm not arguing that it was the only reason we made the trade. Subban can be dangerous on the power play as well but it you watch Nashville, he's getting all the assists. On Montreal, we had him blasting from the point and it became ineffective because he would fire wide or other teams would swarm him. For whatever reason, I had more confidence in Weber getting the shot through to the net on our power play, although I would have liked a little

more shots from him on the PP in the playoffs. On Montreal, it would have been hard for Subban to be the assist man on the power play because we don't have a Ryan Ellis.

"What I don't understand is how people don't realize that Subban and Weber will have different impacts on their respective teams."

You don't understand it, because you keep thinking this is what people are arguing.  They aren't arguing it at all. 

They are arguing that all the reasons given for Subban needing to be traded just haven't shown themselves in Nashville.   The three players that he checked in the playoffs.... Getzlaf, Tarasenko, and Toews, had 3 goals against Nashville in their series.  He is not a defensive liability. Meanwhile he is trailing Ellis by what 2 points?

Nashville's lockeroom has been fine.  He's not a liability there, even after they lost a "superior locker room guy" in Weber.

As for the PP improving... Muller and Radulov have to also be considered here.  It wasn't all Weber. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Back than there were people defending the trade saying Roy was a prima donna and put himself before the team you couldn't have a guy like that on your team.   There were also those that said Thibault could be even better.  It was a stupid, stupid trade when it was made and seems just as stupid now.  But there will always be those that support management no matter what.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Is Ryan playing better or just doing the Rene Bourque playoff hot streak?

His regular season was the worst of his career.

Ryan is playing more physical and driving to the net more than i ever remember him.  He certainly isn't playing like the "can't spell intensity" that Burke made him out to be.  He himself said in his article that he had a hard time adjusting to the change in style.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ryan is playing more physical and driving to the net more than i ever remember him.  He certainly isn't playing like the "can't spell intensity" that Burke made him out to be.  He himself said in his article that he had a hard time adjusting to the change in style.

Bourque drove the net in 2014 too. 

My question is if this lasts or he floats again next year in the regular season. 

52 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

to the plate.

be much easier ?

so you don't think the improvement in the PP had anything to do with adding Radulov???? And yes, i do think that Subban learned to play a more controlled game than he did with the habs. In Nashville he had a real coach worth listening to.  not some boob who was hung up with trivial things like the low-five and had it in for Subban as an analyst.  Even after Subban was moved the GM that moved him called the team a fragile team after losing to the rangers.  So how exactly did he improve the situation bringing in the greatest leader since Julius Caesar?

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bourque drove the net in 2014 too. 

My question is if this lasts or he floats again next year in the regular season. 

Don't know.  Guess we'll have to wait and find out.  My main point with Boucher an Ryan was to shown the contrast with the habs treatment of Galchenyuk.  Ryan had a terrible year, the team stuck with him and he broke out in the playoffs.  Galchenyuk looked lost after coming back from his injury and instead of throwing him a life support they kept throwing him anchors, is it any wonder he kept sinking??  The final nail in the coffin in Galchenyuk's season was when Julien put him on the 4th line to start the series.  How the hell was he supposed to improve????   Than in the last friggin minute of the last game of the year, he has galchenyuk to take the most critical face of in the habs season????? This after Julien and that idiot Bergevin kept saying Galcheynyk is not a centre???  This management team has been lost since day 1 and has no clue on developing players.  They had another boob in Saint John.  It's no wonder we have no prospects that show any promise.

54 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I defended the Roy trade.

I was like 10, but there was a lot of talk that Roy was washed up, and allowing 9 goals to Detroit looked to prove that. The return sounded what you want for any star player. Thibault was a first round pick goalie. Kovalenko was a young power forward. Rucinsky would move into the top six immediately. It sounded like the team would be immediately better with the trade.

Then the Habs got bounced by the Rangers in six and everything changed. Wait am I talking about 1996 or 2017

I didn't think Roy was washed up, but i would have been okay with trading him before that incident happened and Tremblay got hired.  It looked like Savard had a deal worked out for Fiset and Nolan for Savard with the Nordiques and than pulled out out because he wanted Thibault.  That would have been a much better trade, but I think Roy was still worth more.  

At the time. the Roy situation reminded me of when Gilmour walked out on the team and that idiot Risebrough traded him right away to the leafs.  You don't rush moves like that.  You wait, take your lumps either make up with the player, or send him home until you get the deal you want - like Yzerman and Drouin, when Drouin eventually came crawling back.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What was the point of the trade, though? How did it help the Habs?

Weber helped the Habs in many ways. The point? In the end only MB and the Montreal Canadiens management know that answer.

Subbans comments at the end of the season and at the NHL awards probably didn't help his cause either. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

"What I don't understand is how people don't realize that Subban and Weber will have different impacts on their respective teams."

You don't understand it, because you keep thinking this is what people are arguing.  They aren't arguing it at all. 

They are arguing that all the reasons given for Subban needing to be traded just haven't shown themselves in Nashville.   The three players that he checked in the playoffs.... Getzlaf, Tarasenko, and Toews, had 3 goals against Nashville in their series.  He is not a defensive liability. Meanwhile he is trailing Ellis by what 2 points?

Nashville's lockeroom has been fine.  He's not a liability there, even after they lost a "superior locker room guy" in Weber.

As for the PP improving... Muller and Radulov have to also be considered here.  It wasn't all Weber. 

Totally agree.  MB fxcked up by not firing MT and we will be paying for that mistake - especially during the last 4 or 5 years of Weber's contract.

Subban does not have to be the best defender on the Nashville Predators the way he had to be with Montreal. He can have a shitty game and get carried by the other 3 #1 defenseman. I think that has a lot to do with his success in Nashville.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic