2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

Barberio is so soft though. I'd rather Pateryn over him

Redmond looked really good in pre season. His skating is pretty bad, but he definitely has an offensive side. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Barberio is so soft though. I'd rather Pateryn over him

Redmond looked really good in pre season. His skating is pretty bad, but he definitely has an offensive side. 

So Pateryn may be a bit more than a dime a dozen guy after all?:D

There had been talk of an outdoor game on Parliament Hill next season (a New Year's Eve game I think) between Ottawa and Montreal but it was announced today that it won't be moving forward.  It'll be interesting to see if the Sens push to have it held at the CFL stadium instead (or if it's scrapped altogether).

Guest Stogey24

Trouba resigns. 

Gotta be awkward when half your team basically calls you a p.o.s in interviews for wanting out. Now your crawl back onto the team because you have nowhere else to go.

I was just looking up some stats and I find it pretty incredible that Cogliano has never missed an NHL game. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3802/

It looks like we can finally put an end to the relocation speculation for the Coyotes.  They announced a new arena agreement today that will have them back in the East Valley in time for the 2019-20 season.  After years of this nonsense, it appears to finally be over...unless the funding for this deal falls apart of course.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/11/coyotes-announce-arena.html

Beaulieu? He is stringing together some crappy gamesa nd play; which has dropped from 1st pairing to 3rd pairing for good reason and even on 3rd pairing he seems the worst d-man on the ice every game.

Has he only played 167 NHL games and some seem to think the best is yet to come. I got sneaking suspicion he just isn't smart enough to be a top 4 d-man and might be best to package him for an actual top-4 d-man before he ends up in pressbox and value falls?

Am I being overly harsh or short-sighted and he still should have another 100games to prove that he can become a good d-man, before pulling the plug on him? 

I don't think he'll work his way to the press box but I'd be inclined to see what the market is for him.  If they think his ceiling is more of a 4/5 guy now, is that the type of player the Habs want to commit a long-term contract to?  Of course, if they don't think he's worth signing long-term, they better get a replacement in return as the depth on the left side is still weak (though improved from this time a year ago).

I would gladly package Beaulieu with any pick and any prospect not named Sergachev or McCarron to grab a legit Top 4 LD.

Trading for Weber clearly showed that the Habs management want to win at least 1 Cup within the next 2 to 4 years, so if Beaulieu is not the answer for top 4, better see him gone for a good return.

After declining to go to the minors on a conditioning assignment, the Sens waived Andrew Hammond today.  That means Condon's sticking around as their backup.

Former Hab prospect Danny Kristo was traded to Pittsburgh today.  He's off to a pretty bad start this year, just two assists in eight AHL games.

A scary moment in the AHL tonight as one of Tucson's (Arizona's affiliate) players - Craig Cunningham - collapsed and had a seizure right after the national anthems.  Representatives from a local fire department were doing the anthem and wound up doing chest compressions on Cunningham with the paramedics also being on scene.  The game wound up being postponed.

http://tucson.com/sports/roadrunners/roadrunners-game-postponed-after-captain-collapses-on-ice/article_da120ad8-aec6-11e6-9006-932693fe619e.html

Can Radulov keep it up for and be an impact guy into June? Or is he bound to struggle with the never ending NHL season? 

He is the biggest surprise to me, so far this year. I had expected a more 'inconsistent' player who shone in some games but would be invisible the next, but he seems to give an honest 'Gallagher-like' effort every game...so far.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:46 PM, DON said:

Can Radulov keep it up for and be an impact guy into June? Or is he bound to struggle with the never ending NHL season? 

He is the biggest surprise to me, so far this year. I had expected a more 'inconsistent' player who shone in some games but would be invisible the next, but he seems to give an honest 'Gallagher-like' effort every game...so far.

I agree, I worry a bit about injury because he is so headlong, plays with reckless abandon every shift, I like it!

18 hours ago, KoRP said:

I agree, I worry a bit about injury because he is so headlong, plays with reckless abandon every shift, I like it!

Ya know I never thought much of Radulov on his previous tours in the NHL but he has really impressed me in Montreal. I hope we get him signed for 4 years.

On 11/20/2016 at 7:46 PM, DON said:

His play would indicate that he should be in for a substantial raise and term.

34 minutes ago, BlueKross said:

His play would indicate that he should be in for a substantial raise and term.

For less than 20games he has shown he is earning his money, but to finish season is another 80 games...so my question was...can he keep it up till June, not anything about an extension.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Brent Burns signs 8 year extension for 8M/year. He is 31 years old. 

Is Burns "still elite at 39"-good?

It is so obvious that the NHL is really not run like a normal business. Not many businesses can operate with 50% of revenue going to employees. Nor can a normal business potentially overpay a guy millions of dollars based on today's work and not caring that the guy may be unemployable in the future. "It is a strange strange world we live in Master Jack." Some of you may remember that old chestnut.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

For less than 20games he has shown he is earning his money, but to finish season is another 80 games...so my question was...can he keep it up till June, not anything about an extension.

I agree, not after 20 games, I really meant if his current game continued. Right now this the guy we have been looking for, for I don't know how long -years. I would point out , what we don't want is to figure out that he is the real deal in June and he decides to walk into free agency. I don't wait to June to decide if we keep him or not.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Las Vegas team has their official name: The Vegas Golden Knights.  I'm not a big fan of that one.

I'm not so much either but I like it better than the alternative that most people were predicting in Desert Knights. That one just reminded me too much of the Coyotes for some reason. Now we gotta wait and see the jersey that wont be revealed until Spring. They will miss out on a bit of the holiday shopping. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic