2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Prima facie, this is good news, because it suggests chaos in Florida's management/ownership ranks. That will hurt the organization, in the medium and long term at least; which takes one possible threat to the Habs out of commission.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Prima facie, this is good news, because it suggests chaos in Florida's management/ownership ranks. That will hurt the organization, in the medium and long term at least; which takes one possible threat to the Habs out of commission.

Agree, too bad for Gallant though.

Florida is being weird.  Apparently Gallant and Rowe had disagreements on the future of the franchise. If I'm MB, I'd be interested to see if they are willing to move one of Trocheck or Bjustad (or even Barkov but that seems unlikely).  Is one of those centres available?

\

Not sure why the above is quoting Stogey, but it won't let me remove him, or type outside the quote box. 

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not sure why the above is quoting Stogey, but it won't let me remove him, or type outside the quote box. 

I've removed the other post.

If you hover over the top left of the quote box, a square with some arrows pop up.  If you single click it, you can then hit the delete button and it should get rid of the whole quote box.

Not a fan of the firing in the least bit. Gallant isn't Joel Quenville or Claude Julien (special teams haven't been great under him) but he did a better job than to be turfed at the first reasonable moment, with no respect whatsover.

I don't want to be digressive, but Vinnie Viola is an asshole. He's fixated on West Point, hiring military guys to work in the front office and scheduling a silly exhibition game at the USMA. If you look at their organization chart, some of these guys don't even have hockey backgrounds. One of he AGMs is a lawyer that's never been involved with the game at any level. The kid Travis has a role, and he was a bat boy. If Vinnie isn't careful, he's going to become the new Charles Wang.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Florida is being weird.  Apparently Gallant and Rowe had disagreements on the future of the franchise. If I'm MB, I'd be interested to see if they are willing to move one of Trocheck or Bjustad (or even Barkov but that seems unlikely).  Is one of those centres available?

\

Click the source button, delete the code, go fresh.

But I guess Florida management wants to stay speed + skill and Gallant wanted to go bigger. So any skill guys are not going anywhere unless they want to. 

40 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Click the source button, delete the code, go fresh.

But I guess Florida management wants to stay speed + skill and Gallant wanted to go bigger. So any skill guys are not going anywhere unless they want to. 

If they don't want size, see what Bjustad would cost. 

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If they don't want size, see what Bjustad would cost. 

Nick and Barkov are guys with size and skill so I don't think either would be up for grabs. 

This was a coaching change not a GM change. GM is the guy who did away with Kulikov and Gudbranson. Their leading scorer right now is an undrafted French Canadian midget.

33 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Nick and Barkov are guys with size and skill so I don't think either would be up for grabs. 

This was a coaching change not a GM change. GM is the guy who did away with Kulikov and Gudbranson. Their leading scorer right now is an undrafted French Canadian midget.

I fail to see how adding "French Canadian" to your statement made it more relevant.

Anywyay,  Martin St-Louis was also an undrafted French Canadian midget...

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Definitely. I am really surprised that he is the first coach fired this year. I didn't even have him on a list. Oh well Florida reverting to the SNAFU team.

6 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I know, and the GM Change happened less than 6 months ago. 

Given that he fired a coach who was really good last year, and hasn't been that bad this year (considering the injuries), i'd be interested on seeing what this GM thinks of some of his young centres. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Given that he fired a coach who was really good last year, and hasn't been that bad this year (considering the injuries), i'd be interested on seeing what this GM thinks of some of his young centres. 

There's got to be more han one inveterate moron...Jim Benning can only hog the lowlight for so long.

45 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

There's got to be more han one inveterate moron...Jim Benning can only hog the lowlight for so long.

:lol:

I wonder if Vancouver fans know their GM is a league-wide laughingstock? Plenty of them agree that he's a clown, but I'm not sure they realize how widespread this impression is outside the market. Sucks to be a Canucks fan.

17 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I fail to see how adding "French Canadian" to your statement made it more relevant.

If he was and he called him Swedish or Czech midget, is that OK?:blush:

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder if Vancouver fans know their GM is a league-wide laughingstock? Plenty of them agree that he's a clown, but I'm not sure they realize how widespread this impression is outside the market. Sucks to be a Canucks fan.

Sort of opposite of how Habs coach is viewed.

Guest Stogey24

Montoya had some words about the firing..."I couldn't believe it. Personally, he's one of the top coaches that I've ever played for. As a person, the players respected him. They wanted to play for him and they wanted to win for him every single night," shared the 31-year-old netminder, who clearly has a great deal of respect for his former bench boss. "I don't know too much of the business side, but I know as a coach and a player, that he's next to none there."

3 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Montoya had some words about the firing..."I couldn't believe it. Personally, he's one of the top coaches that I've ever played for. As a person, the players respected him. They wanted to play for him and they wanted to win for him every single night," shared the 31-year-old netminder, who clearly has a great deal of respect for his former bench boss. "I don't know too much of the business side, but I know as a coach and a player, that he's next to none there."

Just when you thought Panthers were on the upswing, after a hoard of high draft picks in last decade, they shoot themselves in the foot. Oh well, always has to be a 'Cleveland Browns' version in the NHL I suppose.

Gallant will be back coaching quite soon is my guess. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

I guess a lot of Panthers fans aren't as excited about Bjug anymore. Especially his play at centre. He could be available. 

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What's funny is that Benning was wanted in every GM opening for years . 

3 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

He's hurt a lot, and he plays small for his size. Fans hate players like that.

I'm getting a Radek Bonk vibe. 

I don't think Florida would jump for McCarron with their current skill interest but I could actually see their GM having interest in Beaulieu. You get them to take DD for the cap and maybe you got something to work with there. 

Then again they already have a short centre from Quebec so I don't see them wanting two.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic