Andrighetto on waivers

Trizzak

52 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Well that's odd timing with a potential Mitchell injury and Shaw suspension. 

Mitchell's injury must not be too bad then.  They had to waive someone to activate Petry off IR (which they have apparently done) and even if Shaw were to be suspended, they wouldn't be able to replace him on the roster.  In other words, if Shaw is suspended, they can only carry a 22-man active roster.

7 minutes ago, mineral said:

Do we think he's going to clear?

I'd be surprised if he cleared.  As much as I'm not a big fan of his, he's young and he's cheap with a bit of NHL success under his belt.  Someone usually takes a flyer on those guys.

1 minute ago, illWill said:

Andrighetto has always been a "meh" prospect to me, a dime a dozen type player

Guys like Carr and Lehkonen pushing ahead of him in the preseason likely sealed his fate.  They moved ahead of him in the small forward pecking order.

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Guys like Carr and Lehkonen pushing ahead of him in the preseason likely sealed his fate.  They moved ahead of him in the small forward pecking order.

Sounds right. Ghetto showed flashes, but I agree that he was unlikely to amount to much. A player whose game relied on opportunism, he was/is too one-dimensional to be likely to emerge as a legit top-6 player on a strong team, and I'm not sure he makes any sense in a bottom-6 role. To me he's a prototypical "expansion team" roster player and I wouldn't be shocked to find him landing in Las Vegas.

Agreed- he doesn't make it through. I think we have the best roster this year, probably since we won the cup. Our Achille's heel may be our size when the going gets tough. I don't put any of the three in my personnel small category. I am more concerned with the 5'8' and less, 180 and less. For me those players have to be elite, and we don't as yet have anything like that. 

23 minutes ago, BlueKross said:

Agreed- he doesn't make it through. I think we have the best roster this year, probably since we won the cup. Our Achille's heel may be our size when the going gets tough. I don't put any of the three in my personnel small category. I am more concerned with the 5'8' and less, 180 and less. For me those players have to be elite, and we don't as yet have anything like that. 

There is a guy named Gallagher, I hear he is pretty good elite even

9 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

So it was a choice between Andrighetto or Flynn to go on waivers so Sergachev could stay up?

Seems that way.  Of course, the more ideal solution would have been to cut Sergachev (who apparently will be a healthy scratch tomorrow) and keep Andrighetto around as cheap depth.

27 minutes ago, habs rule said:

If you are going to sit Sergachev send him to the minors even for one or 2 games. You can waive ghetto anytime.

That's not an option.  He can't go to St. John's and if he's assigned to the OHL, he can only be recalled in an emergency situation (when the team drops to five healthy d-men).

I think he'll clear.  Teams had to make cuts to their own rosters/players to start the year, I see no one taking a chance on Andrighetto.  He may be cheap but he's also small and hasn't done much to impress anyone.  If Shaw and Mitchell are out of the lineup I would rather see McCarron called up.

48 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's not an option.  He can't go to St. John's and if he's assigned to the OHL, he can only be recalled in an emergency situation (when the team drops to five healthy d-men).

Damn and I thought that was good idea, forgot he can't go to ahl at 18.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Seems that way.  Of course, the more ideal solution would have been to cut Sergachev (who apparently will be a healthy scratch tomorrow) and keep Andrighetto around as cheap depth.

If that was an option then that's the route I would have taken. I know people want Sergachev to be up in order to get a taste of the big league and I'm on board with that but I also don't personally expect him to be up for more than 9 games. 

Like Meller, I like Andrighetto and think with the right opportunity he could come close to 20 goals. Whether or not he gets that opportunity seems to be unlikely though. I only see a weak team picking him up and I'm not sure he'd have the right linemates to be useful. I like Ghetto because his strength is his goal scoring and players like that are a rare breed. I hope he clears but I also agree that there are arguably many players who have surpassed him on the depth chart and so it's not the hugest deal. 

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

If that was an option then that's the route I would have taken. I know people want Sergachev to be up in order to get a taste of the big league and I'm on board with that but I also don't personally expect him to be up for more than 9 games. 

Like Meller, I like Andrighetto and think with the right opportunity he could come close to 20 goals. Whether or not he gets that opportunity seems to be unlikely though. I only see a weak team picking him up and I'm not sure he'd have the right linemates to be useful. I like Ghetto because his strength is his goal scoring and players like that are a rare breed. I hope he clears but I also agree that there are arguably many players who have surpassed him on the depth chart and so it's not the hugest deal. 

I wonder if any team asked about Andrighetto at trade deadline?

To me Ghetto is the new version of Oleg Petrov.  I don't mind losing him.

He's got some offensive skill but not enough to really contribute on a good team.

In the now....

Lehkonen and Carr are already better than him.  Byron is also better.

Hudon is in the minors and is just as good and can be called up if we need too.  Better defensively too.

In the future....

Scherbak will be knocking on the door soon, 

Hopefully Reway comes back

Will Bitten is looking great

I don't see where he fits now or in the future. 

• Upvote 1