Weber Appreciation Thread

C-Love

It's very early in the season and things are going  well, so it's easy to say, "Bergevin made a great move and this team is destined for greatness".  It's a long season and many things can and will change, however from watching Shea so far this season and listening to him talk, I think this is going to be a perfect match.  He seems like a backbone type of player that we needed, he's calm and relaxed and steady. 

I was young when Larry Robinson was with us and didn't see him in his prime however this is what I remember getting from him.  I would have watched Larry in the late 80's early 90's until he was traded and although he was no longer in his prime, he was a steady beast on the backend.  I think we just may have that again..........

Hahah so much for appreciation! ^

:rofl:

Personally I love Weber. Never doubted I would. He brings an awesome element to the team, and last night it was on full display. I feel like there's this irrational belief that a fan can't both appreciate Weber and a certain unnamed ex Hab at the same time. You absolutely can!

• Upvote 1

If 4 points in 4 games, a +6 and plays by far the most minutes on a team undefeated in regulation with the best goal differential is boring and slow, I'll bring my pillow and blanket to the snooze fest and enjoy every minute of it 

• Upvote 1

There is a case to be made that the Habs blueline needed a major, veteran leader other than the declining and uncommunicative Markov, who, after all, has never won anything. This is what Weber provides.

However, a lot of fans seem to be jumping to a false conclusion here, i.e., that the Habs' impressive start is a sign that Weber is bringing qualities we lacked last season. In fact, the team looked sublimely dominant for the first quarter of last season as well, including winning a number of games without Price. In other words, the team with Weber/Price looks pretty much like the team with Subban/Price, overall.

This tends to reinforce what many fans were saying, i.e., that the trade is ultimately a lateral move (in the short term at least).

So Weber will be a major contributor to the Habs' success this year, just as Subban would have been. In that sense he deserves appreciation. Whether the trade was necessary, or justified, remains highly debatable.

2 hours ago, illWill said:

If 4 points in 4 games, a +6 and plays by far the most minutes on a team undefeated in regulation with the best goal differential is boring and slow, I'll bring my pillow and blanket to the snooze fest and enjoy every minute of it 

Him scoring doesn't change the fact he looks slow, and is boring. 

Sports it's supposed to be entertaining and winning isn't enough for me. I wish for the firewagon style of hockey we had under Carb. 

4 minutes ago, bar said:

Sports it's supposed to be entertaining and winning isn't enough for me. I wish for the firewagon style of hockey we had under Carb. 

Well, as I say - we replaced one of the most exciting players in hockey with a more boring player, who is no better overall. That's why it was, indeed, a "personal" trade rather than a hockey one. They wanted a company man and a roster that would suit Therrien. The absurdity of building a team to please a mediocrity like Therrien is self-evident, but whatever. It doesn't hurt us in the short term, except on the level of excitement.

18 minutes ago, bar said:

1 hour ago, DON said:

Looks pretty slow and boring here.  And fire wagon hockey doesn't work these days so I guess you'll just have to be disappointed. 

And I'm not sure why we're talking about Subban in a Weber appreciation thread. He is a beast out there and clearly fans are loving it

1 minute ago, illWill said:

Looks pretty slow and boring here.  And fire wagon hockey doesn't work these days so I guess you'll just have to be disappointed. 

And I'm not sure why we're talking about Subban in a Weber appreciation thread. He is a beast out there and clearly fans are loving it

He really brought me out of my seat with that 5 foot pass to Gally..oh boy can't contain my excitement.

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd say the defending Cup champions qualify as a good team.

Without connn smyth winner and crap goalie, not so much (I was gonna make a disclaimer that wasn't cup winner they played)

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, as I say - we replaced one of the most exciting players in hockey with a more boring player, who is no better overall. That's why it was, indeed, a "personal" trade rather than a hockey one. They wanted a company man and a roster that would suit Therrien. The absurdity of building a team to please a mediocrity like Therrien is self-evident, but whatever. It doesn't hurt us in the short term, except on the level of excitement.

Wrong thread sir.

One thing I think we all have to admit, is that Weber is one hell of a lot more accurate at getting the puck on the net. Pk's shot was hard but it quite often bounced off the boards and down to our end. Weber's shot is lower and even harder.

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As long as we don't fall for the erroneous logic that "this is team is better with Weber," I'm all for the thread.

All this "lateral move in the short term" talk has clouded your judgement. No one is saying anything yet, nor should they, but one day it is entirely possible that you come to the realization that this team is better as a result of the trade in the short term as well. If this is not possible, then you're not living in reality.

Sure, if you have your predetermined analysis of the trade all engrained in your head then the light may never appear but regardless of skill and entertainment, this trade can (once again) be a win for both teams. 

We haven't played the best of teams yet as DON pointed out but I did think the notion was that we we're supposed to now struggle against fast teams like Pittsburgh because of the loss of one player. I'm not convinced our team is any slower, really. I'll admit that I thought that Ottawa's forwards were better skaters than our forwards but that's not exactly the same thing. 

Weber is a nice add and I'm happy for him that he potted his first goal of hopefully many last night. Our power play has looked great and I look forward to him continuing to bring what he does to the table. It's definitely nice to have him.  

I do not believe in the short term that this trade makes the team any worse.

Weber is every bit the equal of PK right now. In some ways, Weber is better. In other ways, I really miss PK. But let's not try to pretend these two players are on different tiers of hockey talent. These are two defensemen who, regardless of exact placement in subjective measurements, are on any serious analyst's lists of the top 5 blueliners in the NHL today.  You may prefer the style of one to the other. You may argue nitty-gritty details about which one is slightly better than the other. But in the end, either answer will be debatable and subjective and any unbiased person must admit that it's too close to make the call with any certainty.

What it boils down to is that both players are incredibly awesome defensemen.

Now if (in another thread) someone wants to argue about Weber's shitty contract situation (which I agree with), or whether Weber will start to decline sooner than Subban (which I'm not sure about -- Weber's at the best of his entire career right now - he's not lost a step yet, but he may start losing it soon), I'm completely on-board with such a discussion. But if y'all want to complain about Weber being boring and slow and whatever unfounded dumbass complaint you want to make, you're not watching the same games I am. The guy is amazing. I just unrealistically wish we'd managed to get a guy like Weber and keep PK. Because I love Subban, too.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As long as we don't fall for the erroneous logic that "this is team is better with Weber," I'm all for the thread.

After googling what erroneous meant, I am now able to reply. It's "erroneous" to say that it's erroneous logic that this team is better with Weber. Based on what exactly? A crystal ball that can peer into the future? Some sort of alternate dimension where you can see how this team would be with Subban instead? You're simply stating your opinion but are passing it off as fact. The only facts at this point are that the Habs are crushing it and Weber has arguably been their best player. Weber is doing exactly what management brought him in to do and his teammates have been drooling ever since

14 minutes ago, habs rule said:
2 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

But if y'all want to complain about Weber being boring and slow and whatever unfounded dumbass complaint you want to make, you're not watching the same games I am. The guy is amazing. I just unrealistically wish we'd managed to get a guy like Weber and keep PK. Because I love Subban, too.

I don't know what game you're watching, but Weber is nothing if not boring and steady if that floats your boat that's fine.

As an aside it's so interesting how this trade has divided this fanbase so much, it's so funny haha.

6 minutes ago, bar said:

I don't know what game you're watching, but Weber is nothing if not boring and steady if that floats your boat that's fine.

As an aside it's so interesting how this trade has divided this fanbase so much, it's so funny haha.

The game I'm watching has Weber keeping opposing players far away from the goal crease. It has him using strength and size to overpower his opponents whether he has the puck or they do. It has him making competent passes, maintaining strong control and pressure while the habs have puck possession in the other team's end, and regularly unleashing a blisteringly accurate shot on net that Subban has never had in his life.

What I'm missing from Subban, that Weber does not have, is the long breakout passes that send 3 forwards in alone on net on the other end, as well as the ability to carry the puck on his own for 20 seconds at a time without making any pass and bewildering the opposition in the process. Another thing Weber has not done that Subban regularly did, is cough up the puck in his own end while trying to make that wonderful breakout pass. Admittedly, this last one has caused the greatest decline in excitement, but I don't miss it. Still, the biggest loss from trading away Subban is the clean exit from our own end from those perfect long passes.

8 minutes ago, illWill said:

After googling what erroneous meant, I am now able to reply. It's "erroneous" to say that it's erroneous logic that this team is better with Weber. Based on what exactly? A crystal ball that can peer into the future? Some sort of alternate dimension where you can see how this team would be with Subban instead? You're simply stating your opinion but are passing it off as fact. The only facts at this point are that the Habs are crushing it and Weber has arguably been their best player. Weber is doing exactly what management brought him in to do and his teammates have been drooling ever since

What I'm saying is that the team was ALSO "crushing it" when it had Subban and Price - and that was before the addition of Radulov (and Shaw). That's the comparator, not the team that melted down after it was forced to play with third-tier netminding for 60 games. I've said all along that this team will be very strong, precisely because it was very strong before Price's injury, and has added important pieces previously missing.

Jeff Price's analysis is exemplary, incidentally. Great posts.

11 minutes ago, bar said:

You know, I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of defensemen who would take "boring" as a compliment. Personally, I find it entertaining to watch Weber wind up from the point while the goalie resembles a deer in headlights as the puck crosses the line and hits the back of the net. I literally find that entertaining. Actually, even when the goalie makes the save, I find it entertaining. You can compare him to other defenseman in that area but the truth is, he buries the puck more than all defensemen. As for his defense being boring, sign me up. Although I am hoping his physicality will come out during some more competitive games. 

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What I'm saying is that the team was ALSO "crushing it" when it had Subban and Price - and that was before the addition of Radulov (and Shaw). That's the comparator, not the team that melted down after it was forced to play with third-tier netminding for 60 games. I've said all along that this team will be very strong, precisely because it was very strong before Price's injury, and has added important pieces previously missing.

Jeff Price's analysis is exemplary, incidentally. Great posts.

Yeah, I wish I didn't dislike Weber because of the trade, it's not his fault, I'm just irrational haha, can't help it. So I'll likely never give him the benefit of the doubt.