Weber Appreciation Thread

C-Love

4 hours ago, Neech said:

Sorry, I don't know why, the site won't let me post in this thread now without quoting Neech. :wacko:

As far as Weber being a 'beast,' all I'm saying is he hasn't been putting beast-like numbers up for 30 games now. This isn't saying that he stinks, but the numbers confirmed the impression I've had over the last while, that he's been merely adequate offensively after his initial explosion. IF that keeps up, it will be cause for concern.

As for who he should play with, the answer is frigging obvious: Beaulieu. That would require, however, a willingness to ride out the risks of overplaying the kid, so it will never happen given our hyper risk-averse head coach.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Agree that Emelin is the wrong partner, but....

1) He plays the same side as Petry and neither have played LD in their career

2) Markov has lost a step over the years, I see a Weber/Markov pair being burned speed wise. 

They need to get a fast LHD to play with Weber. 

N8 would be a good pairing as well

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sorry, I don't know why, the site won't let me post in this thread now without quoting Neech. :wacko:

As far as Weber being a 'beast,' all I'm saying is he hasn't been putting beast-like numbers up for 30 games now. This isn't saying that he stinks, but the numbers confirmed the impression I've had over the last while, that he's been merely adequate offensively after his initial explosion. IF that keeps up, it will be cause for concern.

As for who he should play with, the answer is frigging obvious: Beaulieu. That would require, however, a willingness to ride out the risks of overplaying the kid, so it will never happen given our hyper risk-averse head coach.

A N8 - Weber pairing would be awesome...Weber could then focus on what he does best...and Beaulieu could do his thing without timidity...but that takes coaching "balls" ie. something Scotty Bowman would do 

2 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

A N8 - Weber pairing would be awesome...Weber could then focus on what he does best...and Beaulieu could do his thing without timidity...but that takes coaching "balls" ie. something Scotty Bowman would do 

I believe that is what a lot of coaches do with a promising young d-man: pair him with a stud veteran who will paper over his mistakes and ease him into a major role on the team. Instead, for some reason, MT has chosen to artificially inflate Emelin's role, a strategy that has been a boon for #74 but has yielded diminishing returns since the end of November; meanwhile we are missing out on the chance either to put the wind in N8's sails, or, if we want to flip him for other assets, to boost his trade value.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I believe that is what a lot of coaches do with a promising young d-man: pair him with a stud veteran who will paper over his mistakes and ease him into a major role on the team. Instead, for some reason, MT has chosen to artificially inflate Emelin's role, a strategy that has been a boon for #74 but has yielded diminishing returns since the end of November; meanwhile we are missing out on the chance either to put the wind in N8's sails, or, if we want to flip him for other assets, to boost his trade value.

MT is an idiot wrapped in an enigma; the king of Idioton ;a squid falling off a tree; ..this is a "coach" no single team in the NHL wanted after his stint in Pittsburgh...*sheesh i promised myself not to bash MT.... i promised myself not to bash MT...i promised myself not to bash MT      

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They tried that and he's just not good enough to play against the other team's best players. 

But do you think he's made progress since then? Might be worth another try?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But do you think he's made progress since then? Might be worth another try?

Now is the time, you want to get an assessment of if it will work or not prior to the trade deadline. 

He made progress when Markov was first hurt, but then regressed again. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

like i said it takes a certain amount of balls to do this,  but it will pay huge dividends come playoff time...

It might, or you might be better off adding a Dmitry Kulikov to the mix... or one of Anaheim's D. 

Either way, the time to try it is now, so you have a few weeks to evaluate before the deadline. 

I actually get the impression that Beaulieu is not with Weber on the top pairing due to the impact it would have on the other pairings, rather than it being a result of the coach not being able to trust Beaulieu on the top pairing. 

What do we prefer:

Beaulieu-Petry 

OR

Emelin-Petry

?

I definitely agree that it's obvious that Weber's partner should be Beaulieu; I had even intended to say so myself. But, that does not mean that doing so might not have a negative impact on our d corps as a whole.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Agree that Emelin is the wrong partner, but....

1) He plays the same side as Petry and neither have played LD in their career

2) Markov has lost a step over the years, I see a Weber/Markov pair being burned speed wise. 

They need to get a fast LHD to play with Weber. 

Truth is when MB traded PK for Weber, he essentially did a number on our defense...having said that, our beloved coach needs to step up and do some actually coaching.. I wonder what coach Muller's defense pairings would be ?   

3 hours ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

MT is an idiot wrapped in an enigma; the king of Idioton ;a squid falling off a tree; ..this is a "coach" no single team in the NHL wanted after his stint in Pittsburgh...*sheesh i promised myself not to bash MT.... i promised myself not to bash MT...i promised myself not to bash MT      

Noooo....not another idealist with unrealistic expectations (already with a Bowman reference...so naïve).:rastapop:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I actually get the impression that Beaulieu is not with Weber on the top pairing due to the impact it would have on the other pairings, rather than it being a result of the coach not being able to trust Beaulieu on the top pairing. 

What do we prefer:

Beaulieu-Petry 

OR

Emelin-Petry

?

I definitely agree that it's obvious that Weber's partner should be Beaulieu; I had even intended to say so myself. But, that does not mean that doing so might not have a negative impact on our d corps as a whole.

In theory, If beaulieu could do it

Beaulieu - Weber

Markov - Petry
Emelin - Nesterov

would actually be the perfect mix of puck moving and physical play on every pair... but.. it requires Beaulieu to be good enough to handle those minutes. 

He isn't looking like a guy who deserves a promotion tonight. 

I don't think the Habs' D is bad on paper at all. Markov is ancient but can still play, can still eat big minutes. Weber is in danger of becoming overrated, no longer the dominating behemoth he was in his prime, but he is still a clear-cut #1, minutes-eating machine with a fearsome shot, still a top-10 NHL defenceman. Petry is a legitimate top-4 defenceman, Emelin likewise. Beaulieu would be part of any team's top-6 and belongs in the top-4 on some nights. That's at least an average NHL defence, and quite possibly in the top third.

What the blueline no longer has is a 'transition monster,' a blueliner who can drive the rush from the back end and force other teams backwards with speed and skill. Commandant and I argued at the time that the trade would either necessitate Beaulieu stepping up big time, or another trade to acquire a player with that profile. Given Weber's extended stretch of mediocre offensive production, we're feeling that lack a bit. But to go from that to saying the D is "so bad" seems a wild overstatement.

Be that as it may, while I wouldn't mind a Shattenkirk or some such addition, I don't think personnel is really the problem. Zone defence has almost as much to do with FWs as defencemen, and our forward unit has been a lacklustre bunch for some time now. That's probably as much at the root of the problem as personnel.

12 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The idea that Beaulieu can't play top lines but Emelin can is hilarious to me.

This defence is so bad.

They both stink, a trade is needed to bring someone in.  Emelin has done a better job than Beaulieu this season, but yeah he's not good enough either. 

That said Pittsburgh had Brian Dumoulin and Trevor Daley as their 2/3 defencemen, so getting a legit centre might be enough. 

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

That said Pittsburgh had Brian Dumoulin and Trevor Daley as their 2/3 defencemen, so getting a legit centre might be enough. 

That's because of who the coach was. Pittsburgh had Daley and Schultz coached to a tee. They had one purpose: get the puck out of the zone. That's all they did. If they couldn't steal the puck from a player they didn't try. They just cut angles down and tried to capture rebounds. 

Jaques Martin was the tuner of that "nobody" defense that Pit won the cup with, it was more about how they played, and not who they were.

Can't under estimate how good Letang is either...

33 minutes ago, KoRP said:

Jaques Martin was the tuner of that "nobody" defense that Pit won the cup with, it was more about how they played, and not who they were.

Can't under estimate how good Letang is either...

Letang is great.  No issues.  

but I'd take Weber, Petry, Markov, over Letang and any other two Pittsburgh defenders.

And yes they were well coached, no argument there, but that just proves the point that its possible to win without a perfect lineup and that other factors play a role. 

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Letang is great.  No issues.  

but I'd take Weber, Petry, Markov, over Letang and any other two Pittsburgh defenders.

I believe that Dumoulin is a bit underrated. IMO, he's a very reliable #4.