Carey Price appreciation thread

illWill

How is this not yet a thing? The unanimously chosen greatest goaltender in the world belongs to les Canadien de Montreal. Is there anybody in the entire league more valuable to their team? The numbers are disgustingly good. It's pretty much to the point where I don't even care when the opposition has a scoring chance because I know he'll bail them out, and it would seem weird if he didn't. The guy is basically the reigning MVP because he couldn't properly defend it due to injury, it's like Patrick Kane is the interim champion and Price is out to prove that it's still his title. He said that he feels that he can improve and I agree with him. He has overplayed some shots and has been lucky it hasn't burned him yet. But I don't think there's any question he will correct that moving forward and we could be looking at another historic year from him.   

• Upvote 1

I watched Patrick Roy for years, and nobody can touch Roy as a playoff goalie (except in game sevens, bafflingly) or a Presence whose mere existence in net could psych out the opposition. He was awesome. Marty Brodeur was damned impressive too, not unlike Price in his calm command of things and the way he convinced you that you were only going to score on him if it was a perfect play. However, I can honestly say that one a game-in, game-out basis, Carey Price is the best goalie I have ever seen. His control is just superb - whether we're talking rebound control, or lateral movement, or economy of movement, or, importantly, puck-moving.

He just needs one great playoff run, one Cup, to cement his achievement and go down as one of the all-time greatest at the position. That's how good he is.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I watched Patrick Roy for years, and nobody can touch Roy as a playoff goalie (except in game sevens, bafflingly) or a Presence whose mere existence in net could psych out the opposition. He was awesome. Marty Brodeur was damned impressive too, not unlike Price in his calm command of things and the way he convinced you that you were only going to score on him if it was a perfect play. However, I can honestly say that one a game-in, game-out basis, Carey Price is the best goalie I have ever seen. His control is just superb - whether we're talking rebound control, or lateral movement, or economy of movement, or, importantly, puck-moving.

He just needs one great playoff run, one Cup, to cement his achievement and go down as one of the all-time greatest at the position. That's how good he is.

Price's positional play and puck handling skills are second to none.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Imagine if the league didn't put in the rule against goalies handling the puck outside of the trapezoid area behind the net....opposing teams wouldn't be able to dump and chase at all. He'd be like a 3rd defenseman out there

16 minutes ago, habs rule said:

If you say so, I know little about goalie group, or who is better at this or that.

I don't think any goalies are good stick handling pucks, but some are much better than others (but even last game Price almost giftwrapped one or two scoring chances). So, by and large even Price makes me even more nervous than Emelin with puck.

Positional play, Price seems better now and dosent slide out of control like he seemed to years ago.

1 hour ago, DON said:

If you say so, I know little about goalie group, or who is better at this or that.

I don't think any goalies are good stick handling pucks, but some are much better than others (but even last game Price almost giftwrapped one or two scoring chances). So, by and large even Price makes me even more nervous than Emelin with puck.

Positional play, Price seems better now and dosent slide out of control like he seemed to years ago.

What are you talking about??? Price's puckhandling is a HUGE asset for the team.

2 hours ago, DON said:

You are correct you , you don't know anything about goal tending. Price is like a 3rd defenceman out there. His glove hand is super fast his positioning is flawless. It takes a lot to beat Carey.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What are you talking about??? Price's puckhandling is a HUGE asset for the team.

Goalies suck handling puck, so bar cant get much lower, is Price better than most goalies, sure but better than any normal skater with a normal (or even off-handed) stick, not a chance. Give that club they call a goalie stick to Crosby and he wouldn't be able to score many goals neither.

6 minutes ago, habs rule said:

You are correct you , you don't know anything about goal tending. Price is like a 3rd defenceman out there. His glove hand is super fast his positioning is flawless. It takes a lot to beat Carey.

Like a 3rd d-man, I have heard that and is quite an kooky exaggeration, but sounds good. They used to say same about Brodeur, but again it was tongue and cheek, not in reality. Even Douglas Murray 'still' would be more mobile than any goalie ever was.

Give Price or likely any goalie a regular stick and gear and would be different story of course. 

The contrast is not between Price and a fabulous stickhandler like Patrick Kane. It's between Price and other goalies, most of whom are far inferior to him in puckhandling. This gives us a huge advantage because the business of puck retrieval and transition - which our D-corps is not particularly great at to begin with - are disproportionately performed by our goalie. The result is that we're hemmed into our own end, and/or stalled on the transition, less often than we'd otherwise be. Most other teams don't have the benefit of that.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The contrast is not between Price and a fabulous stickhandler like Patrick Kane. It's between Price and other goalies, most of whom are far inferior to him in puckhandling. This gives us a huge advantage because the business of puck retrieval and transition - which our D-corps is not particularly great at to begin with - are disproportionately performed by our goalie. The result is that we're hemmed into our own end, and/or stalled on the transition, less often than we'd otherwise be. Most other teams don't have the benefit of that.

I simply said goalies are all scary when stick handling a puck, even the best of the bunch, which Price may be (I don't have a clue as cant hardly name 1/2 of those currently in the NHL).

No one will debate the rest of what you say.

And I would love to get rid of trapezoid areas, so we would see more goals scored when goalies are allowed to wander more and cough up puck trying to show how good they are at puck handling (when they all stink in comparison to any skater). But, I also think as soon as start stickhandling puck outside of crease, they should be fair game to be hit and not be able to simply turn back on forechecker to protect puck.

When coaches play against puck handling goalies, they have to adjust strategy greatly. Ben Bishop and Mike Smith are also very good at handling the puck. (COMPARED TO OTHER GOALIES) It is a huge advantage that over 82 games certainly results in less goals against. I see Price get caught 5 or 6 times a season with a bad pass which results in a goal. It's hard to measure how many he avoids with the quick pass to defense on the side boards, but it's huge. I argue that Tokarski stopped the puck very well against the Rangers in the ecf. What was missing was Prices ability to read plays and assist the transition.

10 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

When coaches play against puck handling goalies, they have to adjust strategy greatly. Ben Bishop and Mike Smith are also very good at handling the puck. (COMPARED TO OTHER GOALIES) It is a huge advantage that over 82 games certainly results in less goals against. I see Price get caught 5 or 6 times a season with a bad pass which results in a goal. It's hard to measure how many he avoids with the quick pass to defense on the side boards, but it's huge. I argue that Tokarski stopped the puck very well against the Rangers in the ecf. What was missing was Prices ability to read plays and assist the transition.

That was a huge loss, absolutely.

The second thing that was missing was price's rebound control.  Price is so good that he on many shots he can direct the rebound to areas his defense are more likely to get the rebound, but Tokarski couldn't.  This changes possession.  He also had the ability to swallow up more pucks and get a faceoff when the team is running around. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

That was a huge loss, absolutely.

The second thing that was missing was price's rebound control.  Price is so good that he on many shots he can direct the rebound to areas his defense are more likely to get the rebound, but Tokarski couldn't.  This changes possession.  He also had the ability to swallow up more pucks and get a faceoff when the team is running around. 

That's a good point. If he can't swallow the puck, he puts the rebound where he wants it. Often steering it over the glass to get a whistle. I see him do it on odd man rushes regularly.  If he can't square up to the shooter he defects it over the glass and gets the whistle, so the coach can match lines. 

56 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

PKSUBBANPKSUBBANPKSUBBANPKSUBBANNNABUSKPPKSUBBANNABBANSUBBANPKPKPKPK

Ummm, your lost dude. The 76 fanclub is meeting on another thread. Better get there quick, I heard they are voting to disband.

Conn Smyth and the 1st Ring for Carey this year?

Excellent and past due kudos to the great Carey Price Cuke. 

He's amazing. 

And like PK, he seems one hell of a good guy too. 

PK.....sob.....:(

Lovett's post is hilarious :lol:

It's a great point on rebound control...I swear sometimes Price manages to direct the rebound in such a way as to actually start the transition game. In fact I'm pretty sure this happens more with him than any other goalie.

It's funny to think...fans were mad at Gainey when he drafted him ('how could he not pick surefire star Gilbert Brulé????'). Then they were mad at Goat for not trading him instead of Halak. The fans actually booed Price at one point. It's a nice example of the old saw that if you listen to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting up there with 'em.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a great point on rebound control...I swear sometimes Price manages to direct the rebound in such a way as to actually start the transition game. In fact I'm pretty sure this happens more with him than any other goalie.

It's funny to think...fans were mad at Gainey when he drafted him ('how could he not pick surefire star Gilbert Brulé????'). Then they were mad at Goat for not trading him instead of Halak. The fans actually booed Price at one point. It's a nice example of the old saw that if you listen to the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting up there with 'em.

Hahahaha! 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Isnt this true with the Weber-trade also? If they listen to the fans I mean. ?

I often think about the fact that we almost traded Price as well.  It gives me goosebumps when considering we could have Halak right now.  The really scary part is, the return may not have been as good as Eller either.  After all, Halak was our starting goalie at the time.  Who knows maybe the only reason we kept Carey was because the return was significantly better for Jaro!!!  Imagine that.

3 hours ago, C-Love said:

I often think about the fact that we almost traded Price as well.  It gives me goosebumps when considering we could have Halak right now.  The really scary part is, the return may not have been as good as Eller either.  After all, Halak was our starting goalie at the time.  Who knows maybe the only reason we kept Carey was because the return was significantly better for Jaro!!!  Imagine that.

I don't believe this to be true.  In fact, I always considered Halak as a place holder while Price was developping.

I also believe that all 29 other GMs would have paid more for Price than for Halak.  Everyone in the NHL knew it.  Part of our fanbase were blinded by how spectacular Halak was during those playoffs (2010 I think).

7 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I don't believe this to be true.  In fact, I always considered Halak as a place holder while Price was developping.

I also believe that all 29 other GMs would have paid more for Price than for Halak.  Everyone in the NHL knew it.  Part of our fanbase were blinded by how spectacular Halak was during those playoffs (2010 I think).

I share this belief as well. To me it was always just a matter of time before it was it Carey's team. Halak was a bit older and went on that crazy hot streak during the playoffs which seemed even better due to the volume of shots fired his way. I am however very glad that management didn't get caught up in the hype and seen the long term bigger picture.