Nov. 11, St. John's vs Springfield, 7 PM

dlbalr

After a successful home stand, the IceCaps (6-5-1) hit the road and are in Springfield to take on the Thunderbirds (5-4-1) for the second time in less than a month.

15stj_500.gif

Hudon - Audette - Scherbak

Matteau - Terry - Friberg

de la Rose - McCarron - Farnham

Broll - Eisenschmid - Gregoire

Barberio - Didier
Samuelsson - Johnston
Racine - Lernout

Lindgren

16spr_500.gif

Hunt - Thompson - Shaw

Horvat - Lammikko - Bukarts

Bozon - Balisy - Greco

Robinson - MacAulay

McCoshen - Weegar

Regner - Downing

Acolatse - Schemitsch

Wittchow

Berra

Puck drop is at 7:05 PM EST, AM 930 has the call.

Guest Stogey24

I think a little regression was bound to happen. I didn't really like what I saw from him in camp either.

His linemates didn't look great for a bit there either though, so that isn't helping 

26 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I think a little regression was bound to happen. I didn't really like what I saw from him in camp either.

His linemates didn't look great for a bit there either though, so that isn't helping 

I wouldn't necessarily say he's regressing.  He's playing like he was for a good chunk of last year.  In the second half of last season, he didn't produce a whole lot.  From January 1st to the end of the year, he had 4 goals and 9 assists in 27 games with the IceCaps.  His numbers this year are a bit better than that stretch.  He overachieved early on last season but hasn't been at that level for a while now.

Offensive consistency is a problem with McCarron IMO.  Most young players go through it and the good ones tend to be able to grow out of it.

There maybe no correlation here, but I found this interesting.  Two years ago we say a highly touted rookie pro prospect in Jacob de la Rose get called up late in the season and have an extended stay in the NHL.  He was playing well (not great) in the AHL.  Everyone thought he was a lock for the team the next year, but he was sent to the minors where he seems to be struggling.  Now we look at McCarron who was also doing well in the AHL last year and was also a highly touted rookie pro prospect last season.  Again he seems to be struggling in the AHL this year.  Finally a few years back there was Louis Leblanc as well that looked to have a promising rookie pro season followed by an extended NHL stay, only to get banished to the minors the following year and struggle (and never recover).  It begs the question; Are these youngsters being rushed?  Maybe I'm reaching for an excuse a little too much, but I find it interesting to see the similarities with the situations.

There are certainly some parallels.  Part of it I imagine is overcoming the mental hurdle of "I was good enough to be an NHLer late last year so why am I stuck down here now?".  With Leblanc and de la Rose, another part of it is that they just aren't that talented.  In Leblanc's case, he pouted after being moved to the bottom six in Hamilton while de la Rose isn't exactly an offensive dynamo.  In their situations, whether or not they were rushed I doubt really affected things, especially with de la Rose who was pegged as a bottom six guy at best right off the bat.  And in Leblanc's case, they had so many injuries that year that they pretty much had to bring him up.

With McCarron, it's still too early to tell and to be honest, I'm not that disappointed that he's fighting it a bit early on.  Last year was pretty much nothing but highs for him (early success, an All-Star nod, the NHL recall), it's good for development to have him experience at least a bit of the other side.  Once the inevitable attrition comes around (injuries and/or recalls), I can see McCarron moving back into that top centre role he had for big chunks of last season and starting to get his offensive touch back.

The reality is that McCarron has never been a big time scorer.  Not consistently and not at any level all the way back to the age of 16.  He's highly, highly unlikely to ever be a top 6 player at the NHL level.  That's just not his game.