New goalie equipment rules

bombTHEice

Size does matter

Sportsnet.ca -- Following several months of discussion, the National Hockey League has finally issued new guidelines on goaltender equipment.

Sources told Sportsnet Tuesday all teams have received a memo clearly defining the new policies that will come into affect for the start of training camps this fall. However, the league still needs to work with the equipment manufacturers to ensure this can be accomplished in time.

The changes are as follows:

1) Pad width will be reduced from 12 inches to 11 and cannot exceed 38 inches in length. The boot of the pad, which covers the toe of the skate is to be no less than seven inches and will be included in the pads maximum length.

2) Chest and arm protectors are to be clear of any raised ridges on the sides and front of chest, while the protection point of the elbow pad shall not exceed seven inches.

Shoulder caps will be contoured to the individual's shoulder and will not be more than one inch thick beyond the contour.

3) If a goaltender assumes a "crouch" position and the chest protector pushes above the contour of the shoulder, his equipment will be considered illegal and change will be enforced.

4) The glove will consist of a perimeter no more than 45 inches, with the length from cuff to web no more than 18 inches. The blocker cannot extend beyond eight inches in with and 15 inches in length.

5) The pants a goaltender wears will also be streamlined, eliminating the need for average size players to dress in a XXL pant. A maximum width of 10 inches across the front of the leg and thigh has been established.

While some goalies would use larger pants to reduce their five-hole, any added protection for the knee or thigh will be closely monitored and will not exceed 10 inches under the new rules.

All the new policies are product of a process that still has some unanswered questions, including what type of discipline will be administered to goaltenders who don't follow to the letter.

However, as one NHL executive told Sportsnet, "if the NHL clamps down, these changes will definitely make a difference, especially the modifications to the upper body equipment."

1 inch may not seem like much, but its alot. Its 1 inch per pad, so 2 inch's total. Its a game of inch's, and 2 extra ones makes a big difference for shooters.

Good news, now lets hope the NHL enforces it (not the same way they've tried to inforce obstruction in the past, lol)

[Edited on 2005-6-16 by puck7x]

I'm gonna have to put a stamp of "Whoop-dee-######ing-doo" on this one. This would be a bigger deal if I actually knew there would be hockey this fall. Until I know that, the size of goalie equipment doesn't really matter at all to me.

im curious as to the surface area differential on the average goalie using the new pads as versus the old.

I'll be interested to see which goalie gets caught cheating first. They will need to publicly nail some players to prove to me and the other players that this isnt obstruction.

Originally posted by Trizzak

I'm gonna have to put a stamp of "Whoop-dee-######ing-doo" on this one. This would be a bigger deal if I actually knew there would be hockey this fall. Until I know that, the size of goalie equipment doesn't really matter at all to me.

I sort of look at it the other way around. News like these gives me good vibes. If they can sit down and discuss details like this, then they must be making progress on the new CBA. Why else would they use valuable time on details?

That said, I still won't believe anything is settled before I read it in a credible paper or website.

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

I sort of look at it the other way around. News like these gives me good vibes. If they can sit down and discuss details like this, then they must be making progress on the new CBA. Why else would they use valuable time on details?

That said, I still won't believe anything is settled before I read it in a credible paper or website.

I was a bit hasty with my comment. I now recognize that there are positives behind any news about improvement to the NHL, even if it doesn't involve the words "We've agreed on all areas of the CBA, and there will be hockey this fall"