So, now what do we do?

You're MB/MT. Your best C is out for 25 games, and so is Galchenyuk ;) What's your move? Which C are possible trade targets? How do you juggle existing assets in light of the crisis? I'd love to hear your ideas.

• Upvote 2

Well we'be all heard of the Hanzel rumours. He'd definitely provide needed depth/size down the middle. He's no first liner though. 

Serious question at this point, what about Nuge? He wouldn't fetch such a ridiculous price at this point and moving forward he could be our #2 for years. With chucky as number 1 when he returns, Nuge as a slightly exploitation scoring center, and plex/??? As our shutdown center.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Well we'be all heard of the Hanzel rumours. He'd definitely provide needed depth/size down the middle. He's no first liner though. 

Serious question at this point, what about Nuge? He wouldn't fetch such a ridiculous price at this point and moving forward he could be our #2 for years. With chucky as number 1 when he returns, Nuge as a slightly exploitation scoring center, and plex/??? As our shutdown center.

Even assuming we can swing a deal for RNH, can we fit him AND Radulov under the cap? Because the Radulov I see is 3X the player Nuge is. In principle, though, this is a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I bet Bergevin just plays this out. 

He may have to whether he wants to or not.  At this point, not many teams feel they are completely out of the hunt, so you have a very limited number of teams eager to make moves unless they get a 'blow me away' type offer.  A fair value trade would be hard to find this time of year, especially with the other GMs knowing you are in dire straits.

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

He may have to whether he wants to or not.  At this point, not many teams feel they are completely out of the hunt, so you have a very limited number of teams eager to make moves unless they get a 'blow me away' type offer.  A fair value trade would be hard to find this time of year, especially with the other GMs knowing you are in dire straits.

True. Me, I put Shaw at C and see what happens. Pleks-Shaw will at least by a chippy, defensively aggravating 1-2 punch. Danault is my next option if Shaw craps out. And frame this as the best opportunity the kids will ever have to convince management that they can play. Who knows, maybe Ghetto can get hot or something.

Reports out of Montreal indicate that Danault is out sick. Not sure if he will be able to play tonight. IF Danault's out, what about

Patches Plex Rad

Byron Mitchell Gallagher

Lehkonen Shaw Ghetto 

Flynn  /McCarron; De L Rose?Eisenschmidt; Gregorie; whatever prospect who is not injured/ Carr 

or

Terry/ Flynn/Carr

50 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Reports out of Montreal indicate that Danault is out sick. Not sure if he will be able to play tonight. IF Danault's out, what about

Patches Plex Rad

Byron Mitchell Gallagher

Lehkonen Shaw Ghetto 

Flynn  /McCarron; De L Rose?Eisenschmidt; Gregorie; whatever prospect who is not injured/ Carr 

or

Terry/ Flynn/Carr

Sad.  Is Muller in good enough shape to handle 4th line C minutes?  Maybe we sign him to a short minimum deal and he's a player-coach til we get a healthy body back?

Just kidding (sort of)

Assuming Danault will be playing, I would roll the following lines :

Pacioretty-Radulov-Andrighetto
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Plekanec-Shaw
Carr-Mitchell-Flynn

I'm hoping here that the Pacioretty-Radulov duo will open up the ice, and give Andrighetto the split seconds he's usually missing at the NHL level. Obviously I'm expecting most of the offense to come from this line. As for the bottom 9, I think they are capable of being at least goal-neutral, and even scoring an additional goal here and there ; hopefully enough with a good performance by the goalies and the Pacioretty-Radulov duo to get the victory. 

On the short term I really want to see Therrien push Danault into a bigger role, to see what he can bring, and leave Plekanec on the 3rd line. If Plekanec breaks out of his slump we'll take it as a bonus, but he's had many opportunities, and it's time to move on (same for Desharnais when he gets back). Later on after a few games in the AHL for reconditioning I would like to see Charles Hudon get a Top 6 opporunity - although that will likely depend on how well Danault and Andrighetto are playing. For all we know Danault will take his game to the next level ... as for Andrighetto this may be his last opportunity, I'm assuming he will be mediocre again but who knows, and then it is likely Hudon will replace him. 

Unfortunately I think the best plan is to be patient and wait it out for now. Sitting on top of the standings buys some time for when the losses start to come, but if it starts to snowball out of control that's when I'd make a trade. Other teams know Montreal's situation right now and would have Bergevin bent over during negotiations. It would also be difficult acquiring the salary of an impact player this early in the season without shipping salary out.  

im just going to throw this thought out there, with Chucky gone I don't think Habs need to sign anybody from the NHL. Instead, Radulov needs to recruit and get somebody on board from the KHL that might be willing to jump ship. Sounds like a MB dumpster dive move as well if this is possible #forthewin

16 minutes ago, l<OV4L3V said:

im just going to throw this thought out there, with Chucky gone I don't think Habs need to sign anybody from the NHL. Instead, Radulov needs to recruit and get somebody on board from the KHL that might be willing to jump ship. Sounds like a MB dumpster dive move as well if this is possible #forthewin

Anyone who signs would have to be placed on waivers. 

15 minutes ago, l<OV4L3V said:

I believe the question demands the answer to, "what do we do now?". Anybody coming from Russia ,at this point in time, would get snapped up on waivers. All you are doing, presuming the player had some value, is setting up another team for a score.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Anyone who signs would have to be placed on waivers. 

thanks for the info. with that being said, the proper move would likely point to signing a shut down D-man..the farm doesn't have what the team requires unfortunately. 

Actually, I'm sort of curious to see how the team does with its current roster. If we put Shaw at C as I believe to be the best move, we'll have basically three 3rd-line C down the middle - all of them defensively strong. It'll be an interesting test of Therrien's coaching; if all goes well we could be winning games 1-0 instead of 2-1, but still managing to win. After all, Radulov and Pacioretty are or should be elite wingers, and Gallagher can show much more than he's done thus far. The team should still be able to squeak out some Ws if everyone steps up.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Actually, I'm sort of curious to see how the team does with its current roster. If we put Shaw at C as I believe to be the best move, we'll have basically three 3rd-line C down the middle - all of them defensively strong. It'll be an interesting test of Therrien's coaching; if all goes well we could be winning games 1-0 instead of 2-1, but still managing to win. After all, Radulov and Pacioretty are or should be elite wingers, and Gallagher can show much more than he's done thus far. The team should still be able to squeak out some Ws if everyone steps up.

Ok this won't happen but.. what if we shipped out plex in the nuge trade AND picked up Hanzel in another? Giving us Nuge/Hanzel down the middle, while taking plex's 6mill off the books next year. Hanzel is a free agent I believe. That allows us to sign Rad AND potentially Hanzel depending on how much he wants up from his current 3.1. We can say bye bye to DD after this year, leaving is with Chucky Nuge Hanzel moving forward.

3 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Ok this won't happen but.. what if we shipped out plex in the nuge trade AND picked up Hanzel in another? Giving us Nuge/Hanzel down the middle, while taking plex's 6mill off the books next year. Hanzel is a free agent I believe. That allows us to sign Rad AND potentially Hanzel depending on how much he wants up from his current 3.1. We can say bye bye to DD after this year, leaving is with Chucky Nuge Hanzel moving forward.

Image result for make it so

• Upvote 1

I'm with Meller93 on the prospect of bringing in RNH.  I've been debating if the Oilers would want Plekanec for a while now.  They look like they might make the playoffs this year and will likely need cap space before RNH's contract expires.  Plekanec could bring veteran leadership and a solid two-way game (the offense seems to be MIA right now though) to a young Oilers team.  Plus he's only signed for one more year.  From everything I've seen and read regarding RNH, he seems like a capable two-way center.  Maybe not as good defensively as Plekanec, but still good enough not to hurt your team.  Obviously Habs would have to put together a package to get him as Plekanec wouldn't be enough IMO. 

As for Hanzal, I think the asking price is too high right now.  If they're asking for anything more than what they got for Vermette, then I wouldn't do it.  Rumors I've been reading about are saying that the asking price a young NHL established center.  They don't have much interest in picks or prospects yet.  Maybe closer to the deadline if they're not close to signing him that will change.

Aside from exploring the trade route, I would look at moving Byron to the middle.  He was drafted as a center and I'm sure he could play there again for the short term.  Moving Danault and Mitchell up in the lineup works too.

Hanzal is a bit better than I thought he was, but man is he injury prone.

I think Arizona would rather move him now than wait.

I mean what if he's injured again, and close to the deadline. Arizona could end up holding the bag and getting nothing here (see the Leafs and P.A. Parenteau, or the Habs and Tom Gilbert 2016 and Travis Moen 2012).   

12 hours ago, sbhatt said:

My thoughts exactly! The other GM's know that MB might be desperate! They'll be asking for the moon for a decent player. I'd love to see MB go out and get a decent center, but I don't think he'll be able to. To start with, there aren't that many guys out there who are available!!

I see that Josh Jooris is on waivers with NYR. Any chance Bergevin picks him up, if available? After all, you can't have too many depth forwards:-) 

10 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I see that Josh Jooris is on waivers with NYR. Any chance Bergevin picks him up, if available? After all, you can't have too many depth forwards:-) 

They let Garbutt pass through unclaimed yesterday and I'd suggest he's a better player than Jooris.  I imagine they'd pass on him (although the fact he can play centre and has a cheap cap hit are certainly assets).

On 12/8/2016 at 10:36 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You're MB/MT. Your best C is out for 25 games, and so is Galchenyuk ;) What's your move? Which C are possible trade targets? How do you juggle existing assets in light of the crisis? I'd love to hear your ideas.

Evidently you increase team scoring to 7.5 goals per game without doing anything other than calling up underperforming AHL players.