Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning | December 28th, 2016 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I said when the trade happened that i was worried about fast teams like Tampa and how Weber would cope.

Well we saw it last night.  Wasnt pretty.

Yeah, you and I shared that concern. It's premature to draw conclusions, but it is unsettling that he delivered *exactly* what we were worried about last night.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Which game are you talking about?

Hedman goal came when both Gallagher and Danault coughed up puck to one TB player. And another good game by McCarron eh!

That was one fugly 3rd period though, feel bad for Price when both Gallagher and Weber basically gift wrap 2 of Tampa goals.

I was watching the game where our team was pinned in their own end for 45 seconds before the Hedman goal, and neither defenceman could retrieve a loose puck, and the best they could do was get it to gallagher in a bad position, and on his backhand. (he still should have cleared it, but it should have been long cleared before that too).

McCarron looked fine on the fourth line, where he belongs. 

1 hour ago, BlueKross said:

All I seen was the winning goal-- appeared kind of soft to me. Carey is at times human

Price has been sub-Pricean for some time. Perhaps the sublime run of the most technically perfect net minding I've ever seen has ended, and he's reverting to being merely a top-5 goalie rather than superhuman...?

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, you and I shared that concern. It's premature to draw conclusions, but it is unsettling that he delivered *exactly* what we were worried about last night.

I'm not trying to get into a debate here but I don't think there's any evidence that shows that Tampa is any quicker than some of the teams we've handled well this season. Pittsburgh was another team who we were supposed to struggle against and we had no issue with them. Not to mention we beat Tampa in our only other meeting with them so far this season. If it takes over 30 games to bring it up, I see it as a non issue for now.

If I agree with anything, it's that Price has looked sub-Pricean. I joked about it during the Avalanche game that if he could not get a shutout there, I'm not sure when he will. I do feel as though we have had a relatively tough schedule as of late though and hopefully soon enough we'll be talking about how Prive has not let a goal past him in over 1XX+ minutes.

We played Tampa and Pittsburgh previously, but it was in the first 5 or so games of the season. 

As we've seen with Markov in previous years, the defencemen with mobility issues seem to get worse as the season goes on.  I mentioned that previously as well, that how Weber was in the second half would be telling. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

We played Tampa and Pittsburgh previously, but it was in the first 5 or so games of the season. 

As we've seen with Markov in previous years, the defencemen with mobility issues seem to get worse as the season goes on.  I mentioned that previously as well, that how Weber was in the second half would be telling. 

Telling of what?

Anyone that thinks the effort put forth by the entire team in the 3rd was enough to hang on and win is nuts...

Chicken little syndrome...Weber sucks, Price is human, OMG we're done for the next decade.

4 hours ago, KoRP said:

Anyone that thinks the effort put forth by the entire team in the 3rd was enough to hang on and win is nuts...

Chicken little syndrome...Weber sucks, Price is human, OMG we're done for the next decade.

That's wonderful and all but the difference between Price and Weber is that people were complaining about Weber's individual game whereas Price has been, once again, "sub-Pricean" for some time now. He has an .881 save percentage over his past 5 games and one can talk about the team as much as they want but he has faced 18, 21, 13, 26 and 30 shots (including ot) respectively. 

This issue has nothing to do with the next 10 years as we all know he's going to be a great goalie for the rest of his career. I watch him closely due to him being my fantasy goalie though and he definitely has not been playing well. If one really looks at it, since our trip on the west coast, he's been outplayed by the other goalie more than half of the games we've played. I've come to the conclusion that every goalie wants to have their best performance when up against Price but Price needs to be, and will be, better himself. 

14 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

That's wonderful and all but the difference between Price and Weber is that people were complaining about Weber's individual game whereas Price has been, once again, "sub-Pricean" for some time now. He has an .881 save percentage over his past 5 games and one can talk about the team as much as they want but he has faced 18, 21, 13, 26 and 30 shots (including ot) respectively. 

This issue has nothing to do with the next 10 years as we all know he's going to be a great goalie for the rest of his career. I watch him closely due to him being my fantasy goalie though and he definitely has not been playing well. If one really looks at it, since our trip on the west coast, he's been outplayed by the other goalie more than half of the games we've played. I've come to the conclusion that every goalie wants to have their best performance when up against Price but Price needs to be, and will be, better himself. 

Well said. Until Price returns to being Price, this team will limp. Like the song says, that's just the way it is.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:03 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Price will be fine, he's broke his losing streak at 3... the next ten years comment was about hearing over and over again how great Subban will be over the next ten by the "chicken little Hab fans"... as he plays through his bad back. ;)

3 hours ago, KoRP said:

Price will be fine, he's broke his losing streak at 3... the next ten years comment was about hearing over and over again how great Subban will be over the next ten by the "chicken little Hab fans"... as he plays through his bad back. ;)

Weber only has 1 more expensive year, then is $6m/yr and in the last 4 years combined he will make $6m. So whining about 10yrs more seems quite an overblown issue. :spamafote:

1 hour ago, DON said:

Weber only has 1 more expensive year, then is $6m/yr and in the last 4 years combined he will make $6m. So whining about 10yrs more seems quite an overblown issue. :spamafote:

Except there's this thing called a 'cap hit.'

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The thing is also even if Weber's performance level drops to a point where is cap hit is unacceptable, he should not be difficult to trade. There are a few teams like the Coyotes who should be very happy to add a somewhat prestigious name like Shea Weber to their roster (in the hopes to help ticket sales), and at the same time add a lot of cap hit for little actual money. 

Still I would expect Weber to remain the same until he's 35-36, then have a slight drop in his offensive numbers while remaining a very solid defender. Also by then there's a chance a 7.85M cap hit might not be that much anymore, star players are now hitting the 10M+ mark while already we're seeing some good-but-not-that-great players in the 6-7M range. 

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And that "cap hit" continuously goes up every year and it has gone up about 20% in the last 5 years. So if that trend continues, the cap would be around 87 million 5 years from now. A cap hit of 7.8 with a ceiling of 73 million is different than a ceiling of 87 million, let alone the years after that.

2 minutes ago, illWill said:

And that "cap hit" continuously goes up every year and it has gone up about 20% in the last 5 years. So if that trend continues, the cap would be around 87 million 5 years from now. A cap hit of 7.8 with a ceiling of 73 million is different than a ceiling of 87 million, let alone the years after that.

That's true.

I'm less sympathetic to the argument that he will be 'tradable.' That one has been used many times to justify crappy contracts, and too often fails to materialize.

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎29 at 5:36 PM, Commandant said:

The drop off seen in his scoring chances against in Nashville. 

What? Are you saying it is good or bad? 

4 hours ago, CerebusClone said:

The thing is also even if Weber's performance level drops to a point where is cap hit is unacceptable, he should not be difficult to trade. There are a few teams like the Coyotes who should be very happy to add a somewhat prestigious name like Shea Weber to their roster (in the hopes to help ticket sales), and at the same time add a lot of cap hit for little actual money. 

Still I would expect Weber to remain the same until he's 35-36, then have a slight drop in his offensive numbers while remaining a very solid defender. Also by then there's a chance a 7.85M cap hit might not be that much anymore, star players are now hitting the 10M+ mark while already we're seeing some good-but-not-that-great players in the 6-7M range. 

And doing so only cost the Panthers a top prospect in Lawson Crouse (to get rid of Bolland's salary) or the Hawks a top prospect like Teuvo Teravainen (to get rid of Bickell)... 

4 hours ago, DON said:

What? Are you saying it is good or bad? 

Giving up more scoring chances against as the season goes along is a bad thing. (that's what happened last year, and its alarming that it appears to be a trend over his last couple weeks). 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And doing so only cost the Panthers a top prospect in Lawson Crouse (to get rid of Bolland's salary) or the Hawks a top prospect like Teuvo Teravainen (to get rid of Bickell)... 

Different situations. I'm not talking about trading dead weight, damaged goods or even retired players away to another team, but what would still be a very good defenseman who happens to make 1M or 3M in actual salary versus a cap hit of 7.85M. On the contrary a good active player who saves a team almost 5 to 8 millions in salary is actually a value to a low budget team. If Weber becomes dead weight that's another story, but I'm not expecting that at all, and it's the type of thing that could happen with any of the other players we'll soon resign to long term contracts (Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk ... will all cost a lot of money over many years ... and they can all get recurring injured or magically start underperforming all of a sudden). 

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Holy cart before horse Robin! Was it you who bought Weber a walker for X-mas?