Dec. 31, Habs vs Penguins, 7 PM

dlbalr

Was that too many men on the ice penalty legit?

looked to me like a hab went on the bench at one end and another jumped on at the other end gaining a bunch of ice as the play was moving back to the Habs end. 

Officials made numerous dubious calls. Numerous. 

That last 6 minutes I counted at least 2 trips where pens stuck the stick in the skates to maintain possession.  Then byron takes a bad one and it's all over. MB needs to get a top 4 defense rental. 

Tough one to lose - a hard earned point for sure but it's never comforting blowing a lead in the last minute.

As for the Johnston TOI tracker, he played 25 seconds in the 3rd period.  With the Habs off for two days, I'm hoping for an announcement saying he's being sent down in the near future.

Just now, revvvrob said:

looked to me like a hab went on the bench at one end and another jumped on at the other end gaining a bunch of ice as the play was moving back to the Habs end. 

Officials made numerous dubious calls. Numerous. 

Tampa got burned doing the exact same play against Montreal, so you'd think they would know it wouldn't work out for them. 

4 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

It's close but I'd say yes.  Pacioretty wasn't quite to the bench and Byron jumped on, getting involved immediately in the play.  If the puck is on the other side of the ice, I don't think they call it but given that he was checking one of the Pittsburgh players right away, I think they felt they had to call it.

Well... 4 points out of 6 on the road ain't that bad I guess. Considering the injuries. Markov is missed badly. I am really liking danault. I was very wrong about him. He could be a great 3rd line centre for many years. Way better than Eller already.

19 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Well... 4 points out of 6 on the road ain't that bad I guess. Considering the injuries. Markov is missed badly. I am really liking danault. I was very wrong about him. He could be a great 3rd line centre for many years. Way better than Eller already.

*4 out of 8

With only one win. Yay loser point!

35 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

*4 out of 8

With only one win. Yay loser point!

4 of the last 6 and with the depleted lineup on the road vs high scoring players like Malkin-Crosby-Kessel I am fine with a point.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

4 of the last 6 and with the depleted lineup on the road vs high scoring players like Malkin-Crosby-Kessel I am fine with a point.

But a pessimist would retort that that was Pits with their backup goalie, due to injury. Imagine if that were Price injured...I doubt we play anywhere near the Penguins level.

These days I look at everything through a playoff lens. There's a lot to like on this team, but we're not going to get through four playoff rounds without a couple of injuries. So I'm not sure that injuries really wash as an excuse. The good news is that we came very close to winning the game; the bad news is we really struggled all night whenever the Pens kicked it into high gear. I don't like this mentality that the loser point is OK because we have injuries and they're better than us. Seems an odd logic for a team built to Win Now.

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But a pessimist would retort that that was Pits with their backup goalie, due to injury. Imagine if that were Price injured...I doubt we play anywhere near the Penguins level.

These days I look at everything through a playoff lens. There's a lot to like on this team, but we're not going to get through four playoff rounds without a couple of injuries. So I'm not sure that injuries really wash as an excuse. The good news is that we came very close to winning the game; the bad news is we really struggled all night whenever the Pens kicked it into high gear. I don't like this mentality that the loser point is OK because we have injuries and they're better than us. Seems an odd logic for a team built to Win Now.

To be fair not every team can boast two top centres of Crosby and Malkin. With the return of Letang and Marc played a solid game today they were a restored line-up.

And we still gave them a good game with our main centre out.

Overall I'm not about to start the doom and gloom just yet. We are holding our own with some key guys out. That PP is concerning though.

11 hours ago, Scott462 said:

To be fair not every team can boast two top centres of Crosby and Malkin. With the return of Letang and Marc played a solid game today they were a restored line-up.

And we still gave them a good game with our main centre out.

Overall I'm not about to start the doom and gloom just yet. We are holding our own with some key guys out. That PP is concerning though.

No doom and gloom...just a certain furrowing of the brow, as it were.  MB has built a team with more jam than we're used to, and the addition of Radulov was one of the GM coups of the year. But the situation at C is untenable, even once Galy comes back; and I envy Pits with Schultz, picking up a 'depth' blueliner for a song and having him bloom into a legit top-4 guy and serious offensive threat, because our current bottom pairing is a bit of a tire fire. Markov is arguably more important to the roster than he should be at his age. MB has some work to do yet.

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

40 shots is a struggle...to a pessimist I suppose? Lack of discipline was more the difference and a weaker than normal PK for the Habs this year.

Gallagher with 7 shots, again good sign for him, even McCarron put 3 pucks on net in his 7minutes of icetime.

Love seeing Beaulieu 24:58 of gaff free play and had 5 shots. Really cant see WTF Johnson is dressed for, dlbalr called the Kessel walking around him goal before the game started.

Really do hope that old d-man heals up, is back sooner than later and Pateryn as well. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Team is top 4 in possession this season.  They just need to keep doing this and stay 500 til the talent returns.

And add talent up the middle. 

Teams like the Pens and Lightning just have way more skill offensively than we do.  If we want to beat them we have to be way tighter defensively, and we're not quite there yet. What's troubling is how often Weber looks like a defensive liability... He doesn't seem like the #1 guy on this squad.  What's the last team without a true #1 to win a Cup?

30 minutes ago, Neech said:

And add talent up the middle. 

Teams like the Pens and Lightning just have way more skill offensively than we do.  If we want to beat them we have to be way tighter defensively, and we're not quite there yet. What's troubling is how often Weber looks like a defensive liability... He doesn't seem like the #1 guy on this squad.  What's the last team without a true #1 to win a Cup?

If Weber is not a true #1, this team is hooped. While he's lately looked more like the guy I was afraid we'd be getting when we traded for him, he is still a legit #1, surely.

Any winning formula for this team includes Price being the best goalie on the planet. That is supposed to compensate for other teams' edge in offensive talent. I think we also have quality depth up front, maybe more than most teams. But there can be no question that the team needs a legit #2 C and cannot be rated a contender until then IMHO.

4 hours ago, Neech said:

What's the last team without a true #1 to win a Cup?

Carolina Hurricanes in 2006. Their defence was Frantisek Kaberle, Bret Hedican, Aaron Ward, Niclas Wallin, Mike Commodore, Glen Wesley, and Oleg Tverdovsky (who only played five playoff games when they won the Cup).